Driffield Dun

Old February 6th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Norman Greenwood

Default Driffield Dun

For anyone interested in the origins of the Driffield Dun
I have had a pattern sent to me from a Driffield angler, stating that
it was included in a book Donald Overfield produced for the Driffield
Anglers.
From:
Modern Trout Fly Dressing 1932 Roger Wolley
Hook: size OO or 0
Body: Pale blue fur ribbed with yellow silk
Hackle: Ginger Cock
Whisks: Ginger Cock
Wings: Tied forward, Pale Starling

Donald Overfield who was a Driffield Beck angler wrote a book called
"50 Favourite Dry Flies" 1980.(I have A copy)
In this he says that the first reference he can find to the Driffield
Dun is in an article by "Sarcelle" in the spring issue of the
Flyfishers' Club Journal of 1922. Where he writes of "the traditional
pattern of the Driffield Dun", putting forward the view that it was a
local variant of the Whirling Blue Dun. But Overfield could not agree
for the body material was very different.

So I am back to 1932----Still interested in its origin if you can
help?

--
A Yorkshire Lad

Remove spam filter to reply

Old February 6th, 2005, 05:07 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Norman Greenwood
writes
From:
*
Donald Overfield who was a Driffield Beck angler wrote a book called "50
Favourite Dry Flies" 1980.(I have A copy)
In this he says that the first reference he can find to the Driffield Dun is in
an article by "Sarcelle" in the spring issue of the Flyfishers' Club Journal of
1922. Where he writes of "the traditional pattern of the Driffield Dun",
putting forward the view that it was a local variant of the Whirling Blue Dun.
But Overfield could not agree for the body material was very different.
*
So I am back to 1932----Still interested in its origin if you can help?

There's a similar thread running in Rec.Outdoor.fishing.fly AKA
"R.O.F.F"mostly inhabited by Merkins. This is a copy/paste from that
thread.

AFAICR, the Driffield Dun is not mentioned in Mackintosh's "The
Driffield
Angler" of 1806, suggesting that the DD is not that old a pattern. Its
origin is still a mystery (I think), and no specific person can be
attributed to the pattern. Apparently, the first record of the DD was
in a
journal of the DAC sometime in the past. I am familiar with that fly,
and
do tie & fish it regularly. I use more or less the same ingredients as
suggested by CW. I use rabbit underfur for the dubbing, yellow silk for
the
ribbing, and ginger cock for whisks and hackle. If I was any good at
tying
neat wings, then maybe mine might have them! I have found that when
fished
slightly awash (like the Tups), this fly can be pretty good at times.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk