Rods?

Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:34 PM
Dan Hosek

Default Rods?

With all the new rods that seem to be out there, and myself looking to
add one or two to mix for next season......I'd like some advice.

Typically, I use spinnerbaits or topwaters where there is standing pools
off the main lakes.

I'm starting to dabble in crankbaits - so, this bears my next question:
What is a crankin' rod?

I think I am also looking for something ML for some 1/8-1/4 oz
spinnerbaits?

Currently I have an old 6'6" Diawa one piece spincast rod (looking for a
new reel), two Quantum Accurist (401's, I think) which I like....they are
on a 6' Rhino M (one piece) and a 6'6 Rhino MH (one piece).

I think I like the dual trigger rods - it helps when I wind up with a
northern instead of a bass....but they seem a little less sensitive than
my old Diawa.

But, I'm really trying to become competant in the baitcasters. I was
looking to get another one of those as well.....either one of hte new
Quantum's or possibly a Pflueger - I've seen some good reviews on it.

So....kinda vague, I guess. Looking for a new spinning reel, two rods,
and two other reels perhaps.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 02:29 PM
AJH

Crankbait, spinnerbait and topwater rods are IMO a play on words, I
broke a CastAway crankbait rod a sent it in for replacement under
warranty, CastAway called me saying they didn't have the crankbait rod
but had the same rod in a surface bait model..same exact rod except for
the label..
I would go with a med action rod for the 1/8-1/4 oz spinnerbaits, ml is
too light..
The Rhino rods are in the same class as a Shakespeare ugly stik, tough ,
heavy and not very sensitive..You might consider a rod from Bass Pro
Shops..
Most internet "reviews" are imo worthless, opinions from actual users
not selling anything are much better..pro staffers say what they have to
say,I wouldn't put much stock in what they say with a few exceptions...

I fish therefore I lie

Old December 22nd, 2003, 03:03 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Dan Hosek" wrote in message
With all the new rods that seem to be out there, and myself looking to
add one or two to mix for next season......I'd like some advice.

Typically, I use spinnerbaits or topwaters where there is standing pools
off the main lakes.

I'm starting to dabble in crankbaits - so, this bears my next question:
What is a crankin' rod?

***A crankbait rod is typically a rod that is built on a fiberglass blank rather than a graphite
one. Typically, a crankbait rod will have a softer action and a more moderate bend. That is,
instead of just the tip section flexing easily, the rod will bend further down through the rod.

I think I am also looking for something ML for some 1/8-1/4 oz
spinnerbaits?

***I think I would be looking at a medium rod. Maybe a 7 foot rod, longer rods have a tendancy to
give you a little more casting distance.

Currently I have an old 6'6" Diawa one piece spincast rod (looking for a
new reel), two Quantum Accurist (401's, I think) which I like....they are
on a 6' Rhino M (one piece) and a 6'6 Rhino MH (one piece).

***You don't give a price range, but if you're looking for a new casting reel, look at the Shimano
Curado 200.

I think I like the dual trigger rods - it helps when I wind up with a
northern instead of a bass....but they seem a little less sensitive than
my old Diawa.

***Durability is important, but to me, sensitivity is paramount. It doesn't matter how durable a
rod is, if you can't feel a light strike.

But, I'm really trying to become competant in the baitcasters. I was
looking to get another one of those as well.....either one of hte new
Quantum's or possibly a Pflueger - I've seen some good reviews on it.

***I haven't had very good luck with Quantum reels. That's not to say that they haven't changed, I
haven't used one in a couple years now, but the ones that I did have, even the high end Quantums
disappointed me in how quickly they fell apart.

So....kinda vague, I guess. Looking for a new spinning reel, two rods,
and two other reels perhaps.

There are many good products out there, St. Croix makes excellent rods, especially their Avid and
Legend Elite series, but that might be more than you want to spend, their Premier line is decent as
well, I just prefer the Avid and Legend blanks. As far as reels, Shimano Curado (baitcaster) and
Sahara (spinning) are excellent reels. I've heard good things about Okuma reels as well but I
haven't had the pleasure of trying them out personally. One thing though, if you're looking for a
low profile baitcast reel, I don't think that Okuma has any in their line yet.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old December 22nd, 2003, 03:30 PM
Dan Hosek

Thanks for the input.

$$ is not really a major factor.

As far as the Quantum's go.....I have heard that, but not experienced it.
The two that I have will only be 2 & 3 years old come May....but a little
oil in the spring and they seem as good as new.

As far as the Curado's.....all I have seen is something called the Bantam
Curado?

What should I be looking for in gear ratios?

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
:

Old December 22nd, 2003, 03:32 PM
Dan Hosek

Yes, and I know I top-posted.

Must be tired today.

Dan Hosek wrote in
:

Old December 22nd, 2003, 04:00 PM
Bob La Londe

"Dan Hosek" wrote in message
Thanks for the input.

$$ is not really a major factor.

Lots of money doesn't necessarily mean the best either.

As far as the Quantum's go.....I have heard that, but not experienced it.
The two that I have will only be 2 & 3 years old come May....but a little
oil in the spring and they seem as good as new.

I have had several Quantum spinning reels on the low price end and they did
not hold up well. I really like the trigger action, but it wasn't worth it
for the life expectancy. I ahev replaced almost all of my Quantums with
Pflueger Trions. So far I haven't had a single problem witht he Trion
spinning reels, and at around 39.95 each they aren't very expensive. There
are three common sizes of these, but if you go to a small diamter line like
Spider Line Super Mono XX the middle size will work for almost all
applications except really heavy tackle and line. I run 12lb Super Mono on
all of mine with some Trilene for backing. I change the Super Mono every
other outing on any of the reels I have used extensively. On the rest I
change it atleast twice a year (probably more)

I do have several Quatum Accurist 401s and one 501. Some of the 400s I
bought used, and some I bought new. So far I only have had one problem with
them. One of them has lost its anti-reverse. I really like the convenience
of being able to flip the casting button up with my thumb so I can flip with
out using the flipping mode of the reel. I think flipping and then
switching to casting and forgetting the reel was in flipping mode is what
killed the anti reverse of the reel I was using. Not really the reels
fault. I almost never use the flip mode nw, but only becasue of that neat
feature of being able to manually lock the spool by lifting the lever with
my thumb. One of my fishing partners commented on the constant clicking he
hears from me when we are pitching to an irregular bank as I adjust line
length constantly.

As far as the Curado's.....all I have seen is something called the Bantam
Curado?

Look under Shimano on Cabelas or Bass Pro. There are lots of Shimano
Curados and Chronarchs. Iown one Curado I bought used. I personally don't
like the feel of it, but that I am sure is just me. I haven't had any
problems with it, but then I really do not use it all that much.

What should I be looking for in gear ratios?

I prefer a faster gear ratio, but for a rod that will only have slow cranks
on it you might look at a slower ratio. People say they can always slow dow
with a faster reeel, but I can say from experience that it is realy hard,
especially on the next dozen casts after you have landed a fish.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Old December 22nd, 2003, 04:17 PM
Charles B. Summers

Whatever happened to the user reviews that Bob and Dave were working on? I
know I sent in a revire of the ones that I own..

Old December 22nd, 2003, 04:52 PM
Chris Rennert

Dan,

Personally I use a 7' Lamiglass Fiberglass Rod for cranking. I also have a
7' Graphite Med-light / Mod/Fast St Croix I use for deeper diving cranks. I
am looking into a 7'6" Loomis for cranking for deep divers, but I am very
happy with the Lamiglass Rod I use.

Chris