DDSFS -- Opie's Trout Seducer Pattern--

Old October 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mr. Opus McDopus

Default DDSFS -- Opie's Trout Seducer Pattern--

This fly has worked like a charm on at least three outings this summer, and
it has not failed to attract a trout yet either!

The basic pattern goes like this:

Hook -- size 16 thru 64 :~^ ) light dry fly
Tail -- either two muskrat guard hairs or *two moose body hairs* (*used
for this swap*)
Tag -- a bit of CDC between the tail hairs, natural or olive in color
Body -- turkey biot, peacock herl or stripped small feather quill (any
variation on the theme will work, as long as it is very light
and dainty)
Wing -- wood duck or mallard flank, natural or gold in color
Case
Hackle -- size 16 dun and grizzly or grizzly and brown or dun and brown
(just about any color combination that you prefer) I used
whatever I had available in the 16 range; so, practically no two flyz that
I tied have the same hackle collar. It's also very likely that I crowded
the eye of the hook, as I
can't seem to get that part of the tying right :~^ (

I start the tie by coating the hook with a bit of Hard as Nails polish. I
then tie in the tail hairs. I leave the tail hairs long--for this fly
anyway--about an inch or inch and one-half in length and I tie the hairs all
the way up the hook, for flotation, to about 3/16ths behind the eye. I then
tie in the CDC between the tail hairs at the bend in the hook. I don't
leave much hanging, maybe enough to cover your pinky finger nail, but I
continue up the hook with the CDC, again for flotation, tying it off at the
same point as the tail hairs. Next I tie on my body material, beginning at
the back of the hook, just in front of the CDC. Once the body material is
secured, I tie in the wing case. I pull the feather fibers back at the tip
of the feather, then draw it up until the tip is just over top of the CDC.
I then clip the tip off, leaving a straight edge just in front of the CDC.
I then coat the wing case with Dave's Flexament or Hard as Nails to stiffen
the wing case. It looks like a Delta wing over the body, when finished (if
I didn't screw it up and over glue it?). Lastly, I tie in my two hackle
collar feathers.

Op

Old October 15th, 2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pittendrigh

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:
seducer recipe........

hey, we need a photo.
I can put it online, if you want.
or alt.binaries maybe

Old October 15th, 2006, 06:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mr. Opus McDopus

"pittendrigh" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:
seducer recipe........

hey, we need a photo.
I can put it online, if you want.
or alt.binaries maybe

I can't post to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing, not pics anyway! Charter.net
sucks!

However, if you can post a pic for me, I'll try to get on to ya today.

Op

Old October 15th, 2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pittendrigh

.............sock it to me.
I'll make an opus page

Old October 15th, 2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stephen Welsh

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:
It's also very likely that I crowded
the eye of the hook, as I
can't seem to get that part of the tying right :~^ (

Try and leave a section of (sallied) shank behind the eye clear of
thread at tie on ...
usually an eye width. This is a no go zone until hackle tie off and
whip finish.

Looking forward to seeing the digital rendition,

Steve

Old October 16th, 2006, 01:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mr. Opus McDopus

"pittendrigh" wrote in message
oups.com...
............sock it to me.
I'll make an opus page

Sandy, did ya get my pic earlier today? I just sent you 2 more, none of
which are of any quality :~^ (

Op

Old October 17th, 2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mr. Opus McDopus

"Stephen Welsh" wrote in message
ups.com...

Try and leave a section of (sallied) shank behind the eye clear of
thread at tie on ...
usually an eye width. This is a no go zone until hackle tie off and
whip finish.

I try to remember to do that, but sometimes I get carried away and just
wrap, wrap, wrap them damn hackles!

Looking forward to seeing the digital rendition,

I gotta get a diggi camera that will take close-up shots.

Op

Steve