Gudie or No Guide

Old October 26th, 2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
PRM

Default Gudie or No Guide

Pretty simple question.

Do you prefer to have a guide or not?

Old October 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

"PRM" wrote in news:TU90h.27005$Zn1.20460
@bignews2.bellsouth.net:

Pretty simple question.

Do you prefer to have a guide or not?

On new waters with nobody with local knowledge around, I prefer to have the
right guide. If only the wrong guide is available, I prefer to go without.
Unfortunately, unless you're careful, you don't know which type of guide
you're talking about until far too late.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mr. Opus McDopus

"PRM" wrote in message
. ..
Pretty simple question.

Do you prefer to have a guide or not?

I imagine it would depend upon where one intended to fish. I also imagine
that there are many waters that are accessible to the new-comer, yet the
stream conditions might be unknown to that fisher so he/she might prefer a
guide or a gudie :~^ )

If you are doing a float trip, a guide might be a necessity, while wading
may be just as easily accomplished sans the guide.

As I have never employed the services of a guide, I can't really speak on
the matter authoritatively.

Op

Old October 26th, 2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

PRM wrote:
Pretty simple question.

Do you prefer to have a guide or not?

It's not a simple question at all -- it depends on the guide. I've had
guides that were gifted at their profession and guides that sucked.

Overall, I far prefer the local-water "guide" services of several
friends I've met through roff, and I've been pleased to reciprocate on
too few occasions. :-)

Old October 27th, 2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

PRM wrote:
Pretty simple question.

Do you prefer to have a guide or not?

If it's water new to me, and the guide is a good one with a boat,
AND a boat is absolutely needed to fish the water well, I may
spend the money. Basically I'm hiring a boat together with a
driver who knows the route....

Otherwise, I find even good guides just tend to get in the way.
I'd rather discover things for myself if possible, even if it
decreases the "catch rate."

I think the very best answer to your question was written by
David James Duncan in his essay "In Praise of No Guide" in My
Story as Told by Water. Worth tracking down....

- JR

Old October 27th, 2006, 12:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

PRM wrote:
Pretty simple question.

Do you prefer to have a guide or not?

I've never been out with a professional guide, nor even given the
matter any serious consideration. As several people have pointed out
(quite correctly) in the "Personal Economics of Fly Tying" thread,
these things are really a matter of individual preferences.
Justifying preferences in these matters is simply not an issue for many
of us.

That said, for some of us it isn't much of a secret either. Finding
the fish and figuring out what they might be interested in (or, trying,
anyway) is, for me, as much a part of the total experience as wading,
casting, setting the hook, playing the fish, etc. Why would I want to
pay someone to do for me what I am already paying a good deal to do for
myself because I enjoy it? On the other hand, watching and getting
advice from a friend on waters he or she knows intimately is a hoot and
a half. Reciprocating is even more fun.

Wolfgang

Old October 27th, 2006, 02:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 26 Oct 2006 16:37:25 -0700, "Wolfgang" wrote:

PRM wrote:
[...]

Very good advice. On top of which, if someone keeps telling one what to
do, how to do it, and where to do it, how would one ever expect to learn
what, how, and where themselves. Get yer ass in there and learn. Sure,
you might not catch as much, but if "catching" is this goal, well,
there's always stocked ponds and niblets.

TC,
....and just for Stevie..."That's why they call it 'fishing' and not
'catching'"...seriously...that's exactly why...
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Where are you going fishing ?

Old October 27th, 2006, 05:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark F.

Hiring a Guide is like buying a prostitute.
Some things a man should just do for himself.

. ..

Old October 27th, 2006, 06:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Kiene

I get invited by fly fishing guides to go out with them to repay me for
sending people to them.

I usually have much better results when I am with one of them than I do
fishing on my own.

Some here are probably excellent fly fishers so they don't need to go with a
guide.

I think people that are new to fly fishing or venturing into a new type of
fly fishing should try to find a good guide for help.

--
Bill Kiene (alias 'Boca Grande')

Summer address:

Kiene's Bar & Grill (on the beach)
Placencia, Stann Creek District, Belize, Central America
011-501-523-4045
011-501-523-4011 fax
SAT phone +44-(0)1224-4456-5671
VHF channel 11
Web site: http://www.placencia.com/

Winter address:

Kiene's Fish Camp
R.D.3 Murchison
South Island, New Zealand
Phone: 0064-3-523-9121
SAT phone +44-(0)1224-4456-5671
Fax: 0064-3-523-9028

Banking information: Aall Group Inc. (AGI) Grand Cayman

. ..