Walk In Backwater Adventure

Old July 13th, 2009, 07:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Walk In Backwater Adventure

I had spotted a tiny little backwater on the aerial photos and wanted to
give it a try. Bassctchr1 and I decided to walk in. It was a chore. The
brush was a lot thicker in real life than it looked like from the air, but
we found one tiny little spot where we were able to squeeze through the
cattails and see the water. As we were standing there we saw half a dozen
bass swim up and look at us. I nailed a dink on the very first cast. Then
another. We got several bites and landed 3-4 maybe 5 fish before we even
fought our way through the last bit of brush to get into the water. Then we
started wading, and Bassctchr1 nailed a 6 plus. Awesome fish. In the first
ten minutes of fishing we probably had 8 fish between us and one toad. Sadly
there was only the one place we could get to the water and limited areas
where we could wade. At one point I was standing in water chest deep and
chunking a senko over top of the brush and weeds to get to more water with
my bait, and managed to land a couple more fish. I think all together we
caught about 15 fish with very little actual fishing time. It took us about
an hour to walk in and and a little longer to walk out. A couple times going
in I headed through brush where there wasn't even on opening much less a
trail, and I'm sure Bassctchr1 thought I was nuts.

It was an awesome adventure, and of course I had to get the truck stuck
trying to drive out from our walking in spot. Was no big deal though. We dug
her out, flattened the tires and it drove right out.

Been a long time since I had that much fun. Absolutely awesome fishing
adventure. Thanks for going with me. I hate to tackle those back country
adventures solo because if something happens and you need help... anyway.
Thanks for coming with. Had a great afternoon.

P.S.

If you do any real off road driving in sand eventually you will get stuck.
I know I have lots of times over the years when hunting, fishing, running
trap lines, and sometimes just going for a drive.

One of the easiest ways to get unstuck in sand is to break out the old farm
jack, lift the vehicle, fill in the holes, and flatten (drop down to about 8
PSI) all your tires. Doesn't always work, but when it doesn't you are in
real trouble. Sometimes it works in mud too, but it's hard to control with
four flats in mud.

Anyway, I have had 4 or 5 different 12 volt air compressors and none of them
have done a decent job of refilling 4 flat tires when I get back to hard
ground. Does anybody know of a GOOD compact air compressor I can carry in
my truck? I don't mind paying a little more, but throwing a Honda Powered
Roll-Aire or Sanborn compressor in the back of the truck is a little more
than I can justify.

Something that can fill a truck tire in a reasonable amount of time and
doesn't burn up or blow a fuse if you try to fill 4 of them. I'm not
thinking of even being able to fill them to full pressure. Just 30-35
pounds so I can safely drive to someplace with air and finish filling them
to road pressure.

Way back when I was a kid some of the farmers used to have an engine driven
compressor under the hood that was engaged with an electric clutch like an
an air conditioner compressor, but there just isn't a lot of room under the
hood on a modern truck much less a place to put one more belt.

That reminds me. After today's fishing adventure I need to remember to
throw my farm jack and my shovel in the truck. LOL.

Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 13th, 2009, 06:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Walk In Backwater Adventure

I had spotted a tiny little backwater on the aerial photos and wanted to
give it a try. Bassctchr1 and I decided to walk in. It was a chore. The
brush was a lot thicker in real life than it looked like from the air,
but we found one tiny little spot where we were able to squeeze through
the cattails and see the water.

Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

=======

Bob, A friend and myself flew over the river and did the same
thing...charted the small backwater ponds. A couple of them, off the
Arizona Channel, we could pull a small boat through the tules to get to.
But the best one we found, we had to hike in from another little
backwater lake. We often hiked to it and camped there overnight. It was
a hot, treacherous hike, but the bass fishing was awesome, and we
sometimes spent the night catching some pretty nice cats too. Some of my
fondest memories of the "river"!

I spent a good amount of time on the river back then. It was a pretty
good drive from San Diego, but we were both retired navy, and we used
the facilities at the marine camp grounds at Lake Martinez...and the
army recreation area down by Fishers Landing, that included small boats
that we could get in places our boat couldn't go.

I tend to remember the good stuff...and forget the heat, bugs, and
"wind" part though!

John B

Old July 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"John B" wrote in message

[...]

The wind, heat, & bugs are just part of the experience. Not to mention
being woke up in the middle of the night by wild donkeys braying, finding
anything you left out stolen by packrats and foxes, and occasionally get the
heck scared out of you by hearing a bobcat scream. And of course there is
getting stuck in the sand and finding out two spare tires isn't enough when
rock climbing some little back country wash to get into the back side of a
lake you really want to fish.

When you get tired of sipping pina coladas and strolling your private bass
pond, come on out and we will do some adventure fishing. I've got several
other backwaters picked out to try and get into, although we will probably
go to this one again the next time either with float tubes or with my canoe.
I'm not convinced we can get the canoe through the brush, but my backwater
fishing buddy is willing to give it a try once.

Bob La Londe

http://www.YumaBassMan.com