New Year's Eve striper trip results in 42lb fish

Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default New Year's Eve striper trip results in 42lb fish

Old January 4th, 2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. ..

LOL! That's why I won't go off on folks for saying things like this. I
figured he was coming from an area with smaller keeper limits and maybe

even
a smaller stock of fish*.

Well placed asterick. d:^) Generally speaking, yes, smaller stock of fish,
but the inland world record was set not far from the delta...

http://www.stripers247.com/landlockedrecordstriper.htm

San Luis reservoir and the ONeil Forebay have gone downhill lately. They
were both outstanding striper fisheries in the past. They are part of the
aquaduct system and are subject to severe water level changes not to mention
severe wind speed changes (0-45+ mph in 5 mins). Amazing place.

I am a conservationist, but damn, a 42lb striper
is a fish of a lifetime to all of us onboard that day. And is STILL over
20lbs from the current state record fish (which is a pending 62-63 pounder
taken just this past weekend as I hear it.) It doesn't even break our

inland
record of 54+ lbs, but is still huge to us. My bud is getting an official
'Citation' from the state (they called today), and we're all going to

pitch
in on a repro for him I think. (@ roughly $10 an inch, for 45 inches, is
pricey...)

No doubt a fish of a lifetime. I would've kept it too. At the end of the day
we all have to even things up in our own minds. I fished (c&r) for stripers
this fall using jumbo minnows and wondered why I didn't feel like I was
'cheating'. I'll occasionaly fish with jumbo minnows for LM, but unless I
have a kid in the boat, I feel like I'm cheating. As long as it's all legal
and I don't lose any sleep at night, I figure it's all good.

We don't have to have a license for the ocean, yet. January 1, 2007 and a
$10 resident year long "coastal waters" license will be required here in

NC
tho. I *think* I may get a pass on it, as I read it if one has a lifetime
sportman's license on or before this past Sunday (01/01/2006), we're

waived
the fee and get those coastal licenses free too. I've had a lifetime
hunt/fishing license in NC since I was 16 (roughly 21 years now).

$34.90 a year out here. And the bay/ delta enhancement (formerly striper)
tag adds on another $5.50. No license needed for pier fishing, but if you're
in a boat on the bay or ocean with fishing poles, you better have a license.
We are blessed with some amazing places to fish and plenty of species to
fish for. Had my first river king on this fall after much paying of dues. It
lost it after maybe 15 seconds passing the rod around the bimini poles in
the rain. But man what a 15 seconds! I just got laid off by HP and they're
going to have to drag me kicking and screaming (not to mention broke!) out
of this state. d:^)

But I'm with ya, it is always a few bad apples (unlicensed fisherpeople)
that make it tougher for the rest of us. I was kind of put off by the

amount
of commerical boats out there this weekend with their nets, but I guess

they
paid their fees and were within the 3 mile line too...I did see a floating
dolphin though, and we've all heard about Flipper and fishing nets...

I got tired of it a few years ago at a local reservoir and called the F&G
800 hotline. Two wardens were out the next day packing heat and taking
names. These folks were trashing the shoreline, fishing without licenses and
keeping undersized fish. To make things even worse, this reservoir probably
has more mercury contamination than just about any other body of water in
the US, and they would keep everything they caught to eat. More on this
below...

And we have our own water quality issues here as well. Most of our inland
waters here in NC are polluted with Dioxins (mercury) and PCBs, and there
are consumption advisories for every body of water in the state, by and
large, including the actual Atlantic Ocean. That's why we usually just

catch
a few crappie here to eat. Apparently fish of such "small" size aren't

alive
long enough to absorb enough of the pollutants to warrant worrying about
them (so long as you don't eat them day in and day out of course). But we
don't keep large stripers, black bass or anything else that has spent a

lot
of time in the inland waters. They're eat up with toxins to hear the
scientists tell it. http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/fish/

My favorite LM bass lake is Calero reservoir. It's 5 minutes from millions
of people in silicon valley and is chock full of big bass for its small
size. It's also very close to what was once the largest quicksilver
(mercury) mine in the world. Millions and millions of pounds of mercury was
extracted from the mines over 100 years. It also occurs naturally. The big
bass are just loaded with it. There are signs in 4 or 5 different languages
around the reservoir to warn people, yet folks still keep and eat fish from
the lake. Can't call the wardens if they have a license and their fish are
legal size. All you can do is shake your head.

Any striper fisherman who's done it for any length of time out here (not me)
will tell you to trim the darker meat from the filets. I believe it is done
for both taste and toxins.

Oddly enough though, I've never seen Striped Bass on any of the "be

careful
how much of this you eat" lists. Go figure.

I thought all fish were on the "be careful how much of this you eat" list
now? At least it seems like that sometimes. Glad I don't have much of a
taste for the stuff. Farmed live LM bass sells for ~$10 a pound out here in
asian stores. Mmmm...mmm...good! d;^)

*If you ever come across a map of the greater NC/VA border, look along the
state lines for the Roanoke River/basin. It contains Kerr Lake (Buggs
Island), Lake Gaston, and IIRC, the Roanoke Sound. This river from top to
bottom is a Striped Bass heaven. Limits (and even some slot limits) in the
impoundments, as well as strict dates/seasons for fishing the river runs

are
in place, and are now by and large, adhered to. Well, follow that map out
past the "sounds" and into the ocean, and the area where we were fishing

is
ground zero for where this river basin meets the sea. So IMO it is a

strong
fishery from foothills to the sea, and as long as everyone plays by the
rules, a few 40+ keepers won't hurt it at all each year.

Even though stripers aren't indigenous to the left coast, DFG still manages
them. My guess is that they know the stripers aren't going away and the
health of the striper population is directly related to the health of locals
like salmon and sturgeon among others. We have a DFG biologist that hangs
out on all the local fishing boards who seeks input for rule changes and
give us figures for the trapping they do. Pretty cool.

-phish

Old January 4th, 2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"mikhaf" wrote in message

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. ..

LOL! That's why I won't go off on folks for saying things like this. I
figured he was coming from an area with smaller keeper limits and maybe

even
a smaller stock of fish*.

Well placed asterick. d:^) Generally speaking, yes, smaller stock of fish,
but the inland world record was set not far from the delta...

http://www.stripers247.com/landlockedrecordstriper.htm

Wow! Now that's a hawg. And yes, I meant "less fish" and not "smaller fish"
with my smaller stock comment.

[...]

In the freshwater bodies around here, "some" guys will use Magnum Stretch
deep diver crankbaits for stripers, but the majority of the fresh water -
big ass - striped bass around here are caught slow trolling live shad.
Usually in a spread of at least 4 rods, using planer boards on the outside
pair.

[...]

I called NC Wildlife this AM, and they told me I was grandfathered for the
coastal fishing licenses due to my possesion of a valid lifetime license.
Doesn't matter, I'd have paid the $10 a year regardless. Based on the fees
you have, I'd say we're pretty lucky here to pay as little as we do per
year.

Sorry to hear about the layoff. I hear some NASCAR teams have some openings
over near Charlotte if you're interested in coming East. ;-) Plenty of water
out here too...

[...]

Scum of the Earth, people like this are. How funny is it that most of the
true "sportsmen" (and women) like us that take the heat from PETA and
whoever else, are usually the ones most concerned about the waterways and
the environment in general?

[...]

OR....or, maybe their like me and figure due to their age that they've
breathed in lead dust and asbestos (from pre-1978 paint and old pipe
insulation) for half their lives already, so what's a little mercury gonna
do? lol I am pretty sure I chewed on lead-tainted mini blinds back in the
day too...;-p

Any striper fisherman who's done it for any length of time out here (not

me)
will tell you to trim the darker meat from the filets. I believe it is

done
for both taste and toxins.

Yup, that was the hardest part of the cleaning process this past weekend. We
had to continoully keep sharpening our filet blades so we could get at the
"red meat" and slice it off the pieces that were carved out of the huge
filets that came off the fish without taking "hunks" of good meat with it.
We got what I'd estimate to be about 99.9% of it. We're just gonna have to
chance the rest.

Oddly enough though, I've never seen Striped Bass on any of the "be

careful
how much of this you eat" lists. Go figure.

I thought all fish were on the "be careful how much of this you eat" list
now? At least it seems like that sometimes. Glad I don't have much of a
taste for the stuff. Farmed live LM bass sells for ~$10 a pound out here

in
asian stores. Mmmm...mmm...good! d;^)

Yeah, the link I sent you only (NC fish consumption advisories) listed
several species per water type (salt vs fresh). Like the ocean had Kings,
Spanish, and some others. The freshwater list had LM bass, bowfin, chain
pickeral, and others, and neither listed Striped Bass by name.

[...]

Cool indeed. All the wildlife folks I've ever dealt with here were too (of
course I stay licensed, obey the rules, and am generally nice back to them).
I appreciate that my money has put this system into place here to look after
all the wildlife, and manage them, so that we can continue to fish and hunt
at will (observing all the "seasons" of course) while making sure the
species are going to stay around. The good thing for me is that there are no
seasons on my gamefish of choice (LM bass, inland Striped Bass in the areas
where I fish them, and ocean Striped Bass). So if I am brave enough to face
the weather, I can chase them at any time. There are stretches in certain
rivers and coastal sounds where the stripers have a "season", to give their
spawns a chance to succeed I imagine, but I don't chase those fish. The
seasons are too short, and the line of people wanting to fish those spaces
during those "seasons" makes it way too busy for me to get into. But I
respect the heck out of the effort that goes into making those seasons
happen (by the NCWRC) and by the time spent on enforcement during their runs
each year...

-phish

Old January 5th, 2006, 10:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

....chopper blues steaked out and beer marinated are wonderfull on the
grill....said Huck

Old January 5th, 2006, 04:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Huck Palmatier" wrote in message
...chopper blues steaked out and beer marinated are wonderfull on the
grill....said Huck

Hmmm....Now I know and love "fish steaks", so blues work on the grill huh?
Thanks for that advice, I will keep it in mind when we go out and hit them
again soon.

Actually, one of the gawkers on the ramp that evening said something to the
same affect when we told them that we caught more blues than stripers, that
they'd make good "grillin' steaks" had we kept some of them. I'll say one
thing for blues, they are absolute hell on soft baits. Whether you catch
them or they just snipe at the baits, they can tear up a lot of plastic in
short order with them teeth...

Old January 6th, 2006, 09:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Hmmm....Now I know and love "fish steaks", so blues work on the grill huh?
Thanks for that advice, I will keep it in mind when we go out and hit them
again soon.

Actually, one of the gawkers on the ramp that evening said something to
the
same affect when we told them that we caught more blues than stripers,
that
they'd make good "grillin' steaks" had we kept some of them. I'll say one
thing for blues, they are absolute hell on soft baits. Whether you catch
them or they just snipe at the baits, they can tear up a lot of plastic in
short order with them teeth...

.....yessir up here in "the bay" you have to get the bait down past the blues
to get to the rocks....the grill helps drain the oil while they
cook.....next time you run into a school of blues, try a big zara
spook.....it's a blast.

Old January 6th, 2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

[...]

Ya know, it's funny you mention that. As we weere making our way back South
to Oregon Inlet to get back to the ramp, from Duck (NC), we came upon some
baitfish, literally being chased to the surface by "something". Of course we
saw it was Bluefish once we eased up on them, and I can just about promise
you we could have thrown a Spook, or even a Devil's Horse stick bait at them
and would have loaded up. As it is, we dropped some bucktails, jigs with
"long" white grubs, and even a Crippl'd Herring jig/spoon, and loaded up
anyway...That was the most "frenzied" feeding frenzy of fish I think I have
ever seen in my lifetime. For about 20 minutes, we could have had a Blue
every single time we dipped a hook in the water...and they weren't little
bitties either. The smallest one we caught in that school had to be at least
10lbs. They were quite fat.

After about 20 minutes, our arms were so tired, we just forced ourselves to
crank on up and continue toward the inlet...I know our limit here on them is
15 per day, but only 5 can have a TL of 24" or greater. Most of these we
were catching were (or appeared to be) 24"+. We didn't keep a single one,
but still. Knowing now that we can grill them and cook out some of that
strong oil, I'll keep one or two next time. I already grill King steaks, so
I imagine these wouldn't be too different to do.

Earlier in the day, when the stripers had been turned on (after-action
reports tell us the only stripers caught that day were between
10:30AM-12PM), we actually got into the Blues then/there too, and had a
double and a triple on the mojo rigs we were pulling. I reeled in the
double, each appeared to be in that 10-12lb range, and it was a chore
lugging those 2 to the surface all at once, along with 3-4 lbs of mojos too
anyway. lol

And FYI for anyone else following this thread, they've posted a photo of the
new NC State Record Marine Striped Bass that was caught down there last
Friday at http://stripers247.com on their message board. The thread is in
their "Striper Room" (or lounge?) and is titled "North Carolina Record
Breakers" or similar. 62 lbs!! That's a whopper.