line for spinning reels ?

Old December 28th, 2005, 09:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default line for spinning reels ?

I use Seaguar Carbon Pro almost exclusively instead of mono. I only use
mono for flippin & for topwaters. Fleuro isn't good for topwater because it
sinks & tends to pull the bait down.

Warren

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

"bill allemann" wrote in message
om...
I don't use spinning reels all that much and late in the season I tried
some fluorocarbon line on two reels in 4 and 6#.
They both seemed much more prone to birdnests than before.
Is the old mono a better choice?

thanks
bill

I have actually had very good luck spooling my spinning reels with flouro
carbon. Sounds like the line was not spooled on correctly or perhaps as
somebody else mentioned the line roller is sticking. The lightest I have
used is 8LB and typically I spool on 10 or 12. At first I was going to
suggest that perhaps the expensive Seaguar Carbon Pro I use lays better

than
other flouro carbon lines, but the 8lb I have been using is from a sample
spool of Maxima that was given to me by their regional sales rep.

Actually I have to admit the Maxima flouro carbon is very very good line.

may see if I can find a bulk spool of it in 10 or 12 to use for wacky
rigging in clear water.
--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old December 28th, 2005, 09:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Bill your problem is probably that you get a tiny loop on your spool as a
result of that near-weightless lure you're tossing. If you get such a loop
& don't notice it your next cast usually will result in a nice ball of
nesting material. Try pulling your line taught after closing your bail,
befoere you start your retrieve.

Warren

"bill allemann" wrote in message
om...
Regarding the reel I used more, I wasn't using a bait that ever seemed to
rotate at all (wacky worm),
and I tried letting all the line out with nothing tied on while the boat

was
on the move, and the
problem repeated again fairly quickly. Not the first cast, but probably
within 20 or so.
Regarding the bail roller, I'll look into that.
Thanks
Bill

"Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard now"
wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:13:21 GMT, "bill allemann"
sent into the ether:

I don't use spinning reels all that much and late in the season I

tried
some fluorocarbon line on two reels in 4 and 6#.
They both seemed much more prone to birdnests than before.
Is the old mono a better choice?

thanks
bill

Birds nests on a spinning reel sounds like a line twist or incorrect
winding of the line initially. Did the line seem to jump off the
spool by itself even before you first cast with it? If so, it either
has too much line on the spool or was installed so the set is opposite
of the spool winding. Take it all off and running it through a wet
towel will help.

Also check the bail roller for free movement. If it is not moving
freely it will cause line twist. If it is not moving freely, take it
apart and clean it. Put one small drop of oil on it before
reassembly.

Hope that helps

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and
Fish!!!

Old December 28th, 2005, 10:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Warren,

I'll try to make the tensioning thing into a habit.
That sounds like it could be a factor. I haven't
really used 4# test before, so I'm in a learning curve here.

Also, a couple of people have mentioned the bail roller,
but it seems unlikely to me that the very light resistance
during a retrieve would create enought friction to spin the roller.
Or would I need to get a high $$ reel to get a truly free running
bail roller?

Thanks
Bill

Old December 29th, 2005, 01:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I doubt a bail roller is effecting anything there Bill. I'm pretty familiar
with your problem, I've been dealing with it for years as I use spinning
equiptment often. You're just not noticing the occasional loop, I'd bet on
it.

As for your high $ reel question, I always recommend using the quality reels
possible. My reels run me between $170 & 210 each, and I rarely experience
any problems with them mechanically. Of course your financial situation
would dictate the price of your toys understandably. As a note I use rods
that run 90-100 for the most part, I don't see a cause to spend more on
them. Not cheap, but far from top-of-the-line.

Warren

. net...

Old December 29th, 2005, 03:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"go-bassn" wrote in message
I use Seaguar Carbon Pro almost exclusively instead of mono. I only use
mono for flippin & for topwaters. Fleuro isn't good for topwater because
it
sinks & tends to pull the bait down.

The Seaguar CarbonPro is great stuff. I buy the 1000 yard spools, but I was
impressed with the Maxima I tried. Atleast the 8lb is pretty darned good
stuff. The sales rep claims it is not a laminate like P-line, but a pure
flourocarbon like Seaguar. I'll have to see if I can find the spool to see
what it has.

Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old January 5th, 2006, 03:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"go-bassn" wrote in message
I doubt a bail roller is effecting anything there Bill. I'm pretty
familiar
with your problem, I've been dealing with it for years as I use spinning
equiptment often. You're just not noticing the occasional loop, I'd bet
on
it.

As for your high $ reel question, I always recommend using the quality
reels
possible. My reels run me between $170 & 210 each, and I rarely
experience
any problems with them mechanically. Of course your financial situation
would dictate the price of your toys understandably. As a note I use rods
that run 90-100 for the most part, I don't see a cause to spend more on
them. Not cheap, but far from top-of-the-line.

Warren

For a mid to low price reel that I have had very good luck with check out
the Shimano Symetre. I was using Pflueger trions and supremes. They fished
well, but did not hold up.
--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old January 7th, 2006, 07:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Bill:
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. My Sister-In-Law had twins and my wife
is going nuts about it. Doing lots of travelling to see them since the
holidays.
As for how long a Fluorocarbon leader. Use about 5 or 6 feet. Tie it on
your mainline using a double Uni-Knot or a Surgeons Knot. A double
blood also works. If you tie things right you won't be bothered by the
little knot. If you make the leader to long the knot ends up on your
spool and that can sometimes create problems.
Take Care and Give this a try.