New Year's Eve striper trip results in 42lb fish

Old January 2nd, 2006, 06:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default New Year's Eve striper trip results in 42lb fish

With the continuing "relatively nice for the time" weather we've had here in
NC, me and a fishing buddy linked up and went out to the OBX to get in on
some of this winter Striped Bass fishing we've been hearing so much of the
past few years. We went out this past Saturday (Dec 31) off Hatteras Island
(NC) out of Oregon Inlet and managed to catch a few really nice stripers.
There were a ton of folks on the water, I was even surprised at the amount
of charter boats we saw out there chasing these winter bass. The "3 mile
line" kept us all clumped up along the various stretches of shore from Kitty
Hawk/Duck NC past Oregon Inlet and the Bodie Island Lighthouse all the way
South to Hatteras Village and the lighthouse itself. So we just jumped into
the trolling line that was more like a fleet by mid morning, and all
"followed the birds" looking for schools of bait fish.

We caught this particular striper about 10 miles North of the Hatteras
Lighthouse, about 2 miles off the beach:
(this is my buddy in the photos, he reeled her in, so we gave him the glory)

http://home.earthlink.net/~simracer5...b_striper5.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~simracer5...b_striper1.jpg

We had her certified for a state citation when we got back in, which is
35lbs here in NC. Weighed 42 lbs on the dot according to the
"official/certified" scales at the tackle shop. Our best rough measurements
were 45" long, 28" girth. Nowhere near the *rumored* new record set this
past week during a tournament of over 60 lbs, which was the record from 1971
until this past week if said rumor is true. (We heard several weights
through the rumor mill; 62, 63 and 65 pounds, so apparentlly a large one
above 60 lbs was caught)

Hope everyone here at rofb had enjoyable holidays.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

beautiful striper

--
www.wermieerniebaits.com
Making fish regret their decision on a daily basis
nk.net...

Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"SimRacer" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

That's a beast!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 11:48:25 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:
snip
[...]

Every time I see this header, I keep expecting to click the link and
find pictures of the Minnesota Love Boat trip. =)

..
Harry J aka Thundercat
Share the knowledge, compete on execution...
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com
http://secretweaponlures.com
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"alwaysfishking" wrote in message
beautiful striper

Thanks. She took a while to drag up from 44 ft. And our rigs were
triple-home-made types that had 32oz, 24, oz and 16 oz baits on it all at
once. This fish was on the bottom, 32oz "jig head" (our pseudo-guide called
them "mojos" with swimming soft bait bodies that went from about 6" in
length, to about a foot long on the 24 and 32 oz heads). It didn't take long
to see why we were using such heavy line (50lb line, 100lb shock leader) and
heavy ocean trolling rods and reels...our rigs weighed 4.5 lbs without a
fish on them, lol!

We caught 7 striped bass (from 18lbs to this monstor) before the blues
turned on. We boated about 25 of those, and didn't keep a single one. Good
fighters, but apparently not that good to eat, so we let 'em live. We only
kept 2 of the bass, this big'un and another that went about 22lbs, just to
split up among us Sunday before we came home.

--
www.wermieerniebaits.com
Making fish regret their decision on a daily basis
nk.net...

Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"SimRacer" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Hehe! Yes it is. The possibility of catching something "like this" was the
very reason we braved the ocean, the weather, etc in the first place, this
time of year.

With fishing pressure seemingly ever increasing around here during the "warm
months" I've made a committment to try to fish more of the off-season, and
it paid off this time. Now, here's hoping when I get on the flat water
nearby chasing the largemouth shortly, that we're as fortunate. Me and the
fella in these photos plan on LM bass fishing every spare day in Feburary
that is above freezing that we can...

Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Thundercat" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 11:48:25 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:
snip
[...]

Yes, and is the reason that I made sure there was only 1 "P" in the
word....lol!

Didn't think that a "42 lb stripper" would've been too cool to
advertise...besides, the locals call them Rockfish....and I didn't know if
that nomenclature was universally accepted "here" for the Striped Bass in
question. This here internet thingie has made the world as small as a
computer screen afterall...and y'all may not call them Rockfish where you
are... ;-)

.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Next time, unless mounting the striper, release the big ones and keep the
12# and under. They taste better, and the big ones are females, and those
big females make lots of eggs.

"SimRacer" wrote in message

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

nk.net...

Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...
Next time, unless mounting the striper, release the big ones and keep the
12# and under. They taste better, and the big ones are females, and those
big females make lots of eggs.

Well, I understand your sentiment, but we are allowed a creel of 2/per
person here, and are limited to fishing to within 3 miles of the shore thus
preventing us from chasing the "real big ones" that are farther out. (And
USCG boats were on hand to enforce the "3 mile line" all day...)

Also, our minimum length on coastal stripers is 28". Anything 28"+ out there
will likely be thick enough to weigh 12lbs at a minimum IMO, so finding
anything "that small" where we were, would be a challenge, and obviously,
anything under 28" has to go back in the water to begin with. We're
basically commanded to keep 12+ lb'ers I guess is what I am trying to say.
In ocean waters off NC anyway. (Here are the legal specs, right from the NC
Marine Fisheries website:
http://www.ncfisheries.net/recreational/recguide.htm )

And I can say with 100% certainty, is that the taste of a fish exactly that
big is just fine. I grilled up several pieces of it last night for dinner.
We split this fish, and the other one we kept, among the 4 of us on the
boat. (Gently) Cut loose all the rest and every single Blue we caught (which
was 25 or so, average weight of which was about 12 lbs per believe it or
not).

Now, were this inland fish, absolutely. We'd keep the smallest we could if
we wanted the meat. And as it is, there were 4 of us on the boat, and we
only kept 2 fish total (out of 8 possible). Honestly though, very seldom if
ever do we keep any inland fish we catch outside of a small bucket of crappy
on occasion when we're getting a "fish fry" together for us and friends.

So I ain't trying to change your philosophy, far from it, but I am saying
that our "rules" out here prevent us from keeping anything as small as you
indicate as being ok. And when they allow 2 per person/per day, you can't
expect us not to keep some, especially a big one, at least every so often.
Really, you should come fuss at the netting boats that were out there
harvesting them commerically (I counted 4 of them around us on Saturday)
before you get on us recreational fishermen. I mean we caught a handful and
kept 2, and I doubt they culled 2 all day...and kept the rest. And probably
killed a bottle nosed dolphin or two in the process with their nets...(we
were surrounded by them all day, at least several pods or whatever they're
called, which was a beautiful sight to behold. If the water hadn't been 50º
and the air temp not been in the 40s, I'd have wanted to swim with
them...lol)

"SimRacer" wrote in message

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

nk.net...

Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Well, I understand your sentiment, but we are allowed a creel of 2/per
person here, and are limited to fishing to within 3 miles of the shore

thus
preventing us from chasing the "real big ones" that are farther out. (And
USCG boats were on hand to enforce the "3 mile line" all day...)

Also, our minimum length on coastal stripers is 28". Anything 28"+ out

there
will likely be thick enough to weigh 12lbs at a minimum IMO, so finding
anything "that small" where we were, would be a challenge, and obviously,
anything under 28" has to go back in the water to begin with.

snip

Nice fish Sim! Heck, the fish that won the recent 3 day annual striper derby
out here on the left coast only weighed 38.5#. There's been some local 40+
pounders weighed recently though. Not bad for furiners. d:^)

Btw, the minimum keeper size out here is only 18". I believe Bill is also a
left coaster. Also, most of the stripers caught out here are in the delta,
not the ocean. For that reason alone many folks do not keep the larger fish
around here. Water quality issues. I say if you have a license and your fish
is legal, keep your 2 limit, any size. It's the unlicensed guys keeping the
under size fish that really chap my hide.

-phish