Bimini Twist in 50lb Power Pro

Old January 3rd, 2006, 07:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Bimini Twist in 50lb Power Pro

I don't know if this comment applies to bonefishing but for big bass fly
fishing I do not normally choose to use any loop to loop connection between
my bass taper fly line and continuous mono leader. IMHO the twin loops make
a secondary topwater splash which tends to spook larger bass.

FWIW instead of any knot losing X% of its rated strength, I am far more
concerned with fly line or leader retaining memory which is a royal pain in
the. g Does Power Pro retain memory?

John

"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message ...
I am using 50 lb Power Pro on my son's bonefish rod (OK, it's a fly rod,
cut
me a break here).

Has anyone every tried tying a loop in the Power Pro using a standard
Bimini
Twist? I have tied it on the bench and it seems to work fine, but I don't
want to learn that it isn't really a good knot while "on-the-job".

Thanks from Rick

Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Power Pro does not retain any memory. It is always limp. Thank you for your
comments about the big bass. I like fly fishing for bass too. Have you every
tried smallmouth fishing with a light fly rod. It's great fun.

Bonefish leaders are 10 feet long plus the tippet. It's usually windy out on
the flats so the loops are no problem since there is a lot going on.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"John" wrote in message
I don't know if this comment applies to bonefishing but for big bass fly
fishing I do not normally choose to use any loop to loop connection

between
my bass taper fly line and continuous mono leader. IMHO the twin loops

make
a secondary topwater splash which tends to spook larger bass.

FWIW instead of any knot losing X% of its rated strength, I am far more
concerned with fly line or leader retaining memory which is a royal pain

in
the. g Does Power Pro retain memory?

John

I've never experienced any memory with PP, whether using it in fresh water
or salt water.

*About* the only drawback to using PP that I have found, is that it will
fade in color with a lot of use. The pretty dark "moss green" color I start
out with, will usually fade to a pale, yellowish green after a couple of
hard days on the water. That said, it's never seemed to bother the fish
after fading (I still get bit, and still catch fish on it, months after
fading), but it does fade. I just keep a Sharpie onboard if I feel like I
need to stripe or "camoflage" the bait end of the line in extremely clear or
still water occasionally.

Just as an FYI, I stripped last year's PP off my (braid) reels just
yesterday, and compared to the fluorocarbon and mono I took off some other
reels, it had NO memory to speak of, even after a couple of months just
being wrapped around my reels' spools out in the shop. Berkley Big Game was
the worst yesterday. I took a couple hundred yards of 10lb off a spinning
rig yesterday and it coiled up like you wouldn't believe on the floor. It
was quite a messy nest. The PP came off nice and flat, and had been
"dormant" out in the shop just as long. I still like my basic "Big Game"
line, it just has a memory from hell.

*The "other" drawback to Power Pro is trying to break loose a snag. That
stuff is so strong, that I've pulled up significant branches from the lake
bottom with it (the heaviest weight I use is 20#). I've straightened hooks
out on lures trying to break them loose as well...not that saving a lure is
"bad", it just takes a while to deal with if you can't break it off after a
couple of good college tries...and "time is money" when you're on the water.
Of course none of these "drawbacks" outweigh, IMO, PP's excellent
performance (great sensitivety, near zero stretch and no memory to speak
of). And no, I don't work for nor am I sponsored by Power Pro...I am self
employed in an unrelated industry and am sponsored solely by my own bank
accounts... ;-)

Old January 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I have had similar experiences with
Power Pro. I also use Stren braided line and highly recommend it, less color
loss.

I also find the knots take more time to tie. I have had Palomar knots slip
out with a fish on so I only use Uni knots now. Uni knots take an extra
minute to tie but they never ever slip.

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 4th, 2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message . ..
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I have had similar experiences

with
Power Pro. I also use Stren braided line and highly recommend it, less

color
loss.

I also find the knots take more time to tie. I have had Palomar knots slip
out with a fish on so I only use Uni knots now. Uni knots take an extra
minute to tie but they never ever slip.

It's interesting to me that you've had that issue with the palomar. If I am
thinking correctly, it is the knot of choice recommened by a lot of the
superlines' box instructions.

I use it most of the time in a fresh water situation, when using Power Pro
and some heavier mono too, haven't had an issue with it slipping out, yet.
Plus, to me, a Uni takes more than "an extra" minute to tie! lol :-) I am
apparently all thumbs when it comes to getting semi-complicated knots tied
correctly...

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I invented this knot a few years ago, to replace the Bimini Twist,, it
is possible to use other nail knot tools to tie it

http://ezknot.com/DL.htm
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Thank you for your comments.

It's true, the Palomar is recommended by the manufacturers. I admit I
probably did not tighten the knot correctly before the two failures which
cost me big bass. However, the Power Pro knot guide (or is it the Stren
guide?) does state that you should pass the line through the hook eye twice
if possible and it also states that the Palomar knot is strong, but the Uni
is stronger. I don't mind tying the Uni knot so I use it. I hate knot
failures.

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. ..

"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message . ..
[...]

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message ...
Thank you for your comments.

It's true, the Palomar is recommended by the manufacturers. I admit I
probably did not tighten the knot correctly before the two failures which
cost me big bass. However, the Power Pro knot guide (or is it the Stren
guide?) does state that you should pass the line through the hook eye

twice
if possible and it also states that the Palomar knot is strong, but the

Uni
is stronger. I don't mind tying the Uni knot so I use it. I hate knot
failures.

Yeah man, go with what you are comfortable with. A Uni is a great knot if
you can tie it with ease on the water and have faith in it, no doubt.

But for me and my "usual" fishing chores (typically LM bass here in NC where
the state record is even less than 15lbs), the Palomar is plenty strong.
When we get out to the coast with running fish, and fish that are much
heavier, that's when I break out the multi-looped knots like the Uni.

I am still practicing the Uni with regularity though (ie: don't need 'the
book' to get it right anymore) just so I can continue to attached my
superline to a layer of mono on my reels to a) save braid, and b) give it
something to bite into on the slick reel spools.

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. ..

"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message . ..
[...]

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 5th, 2006, 06:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Thank everyone for their thoughtful posts! Gonna try PP on my fly line and
see if it works out!!!

Be well and fish more.
John
"SimRacer" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 5th, 2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"John" wrote in message
Thank everyone for their thoughtful posts! Gonna try PP on my fly line

and
see if it works out!!!

Be well and fish more.
John

Hey man, best of luck to ya! Power Pro came to us flat/fresh water
fisherpeople from sal****er fisherpeople anyway (that is a "redfish" on the
box afterall, or so it appears to me) so it's use anywhere should be
invesitaged if not just flat out exploited. ;-)

I came to it after trying Fireline, Spiderwire, and Stren's braid. PP is my
current line of choice among those 3. YMMV.

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. ..