Just a quick question

Old January 11th, 2006, 02:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Just a quick question

Hi my name is Chris and im 12 and I've been wondering.....ok this is
gonna sound stupid but whats the correct way to reel? The wrist that I
use to reel is giving me some trouble when I write. I've had this
problem for a since I was 9 when i first started fishing alot. I
usually reel with my entire arm up to my elbow all moving in a circle,
but a friend told me that this was the incorrect way to reel? If this
is, is there a correct way?

Old January 11th, 2006, 02:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

CTC:
I suggest that you use your strongest arm to hold the rod and reel any
way you can with the other. A guy your age shouldn't have wrist
problems! Get your Mom to take you to the Doctor and get it checked!

Old January 11th, 2006, 05:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Hi Chris,

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. I don't know the
"right" way to reel, but what seems natural to me is that the hand moves in
a circle, about up to the wrist. There is some movement in the forearm but
it's not going in a circle like you described. I would think that could be
pretty tiring.

Jackfish gave good advice about seeing a doctor if you're having problems.

Good luck.

oups.com...

Old January 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Marty wrote:
Hi Chris,

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. I don't know the
"right" way to reel, but what seems natural to me is that the hand moves in
a circle, about up to the wrist. There is some movement in the forearm but
it's not going in a circle like you described. I would think that could be
pretty tiring.

Jackfish gave good advice about seeing a doctor if you're having problems.

Good luck.

"CTC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi my name is Chris and im 12 and I've been wondering.....ok this is
gonna sound stupid but whats the correct way to reel? The wrist that I
use to reel is giving me some trouble when I write. I've had this
problem for a since I was 9 when i first started fishing alot. I
usually reel with my entire arm up to my elbow all moving in a circle,
but a friend told me that this was the incorrect way to reel? If this
is, is there a correct way?

thanks for the advice thats pretty much how my friend told me to reel

Old January 12th, 2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Since I've had major operations related to fishing strain on BOTH of my
wrists...I can tell you that, if at your age, you are already having
problems, you'd best change whatever your doing right away. I sold my boat
and thought I had to give up fishing permanently some years ago. Then I
found the right doctor.
RichG TX

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

oups.com...

Old January 13th, 2006, 02:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I agree with jackfish, I am right handed and always hold the rod with my
right hand and reel with the left. We my wrist gets tired I switch from a
cast rig to a spinning or vice-versa; the angles are different and I can
keep fishing

oups.com...