Opinion on boats, engine

Old March 16th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Sergio Ramirez

Default Opinion on boats, engine

Hello all:

I'm considering buying my first boat, and wonder if any of you folks have
any advice/opinion on the following:

- Lund boats or Alumacraft boats. I want a light 16' deep-V boat that I can
trailer in my small Toyota pickup, which is rated for 3500 lbs trailering.
Around here there are a lot of Tracker boats, but I've heard complaints on
Tracker customer service and problem with leakage through the welds. They
tell me Alumacraft is a good quality boat, and Lund is top of the line.

- The jet propulsion engines from Honda (BF35 or BF65). They really look
interesting because it allows access to shallow areas and it's quieter, but
I wonder if this new technology (or perhaps not new, I don't know) is not
that well developed that it's best not to get into it at this moment.

I'm in central Texas and I'm looking to do mainly bass fishing around the
Hill Country lakes (some of them pretty large bodies), and perhaps once in a
while go to the Gulf coast to do bay fishing or close-to-shore fishing.

Thanks in advance for your help
Sergio

Old March 16th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Pat Goff

Sergio,
You really should come by the store in Marble Falls, we need to talk.
You've obviously done some research, but what you've come up with just won't
work well for what you're wanting to do.
830-798-8886

Old March 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Bob La Londe

Lund has a good reputation. Haven't heard any complaints about Alumacraft.
Honda makes a good solid engine, because it is a four-stroke it will be
legal to use it on most waters that don't have HP limitations. It is more
expensive than some. I was not aware that Honda was making a jet outboard,
but they are not new comers to jet propulsion. Their PWCs are big guys with
rock solid reputations and few problems with their motors or jet pumps.

All that being said... there are some disadvantages to your selections.
The biggest being that not all Honda dealers have a competant marine
mechanic on staff. While you would hope that shop service requirements
would be few and far between you want to make sure that you have somembody
nearby who can service it if needed. The other is the efficiency of jet
outboards. Jet pumps are less efficient than propellers. As a result a jet
outboard will either transfer less force to the water, or the motor will be
bigger and heavier. Speed may suffer.

Jets will definitely run in shallower water. In rocky clear waters they
really shine. In sandy rivers they tend to wear out impellors more quickly
as they are continuously taking small bit of grit and forcing them over the
blades. Its much wore of you plan to skip some sandbars. On the positive
side, if you plan to skip sandbars regularly the only way to go is a jet as
you will make it over them. In waters that get weed choke in summer be
prepared to swim. You plug up a jet pump with weeds and you can count on
having to get in the water and clean it out.

I wonder about the combination of a deep-V with a jet outboard. Seems to me
a pad bottom design or even a flat bottom would take the most advantage of
the shallow water capabilities.

--
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

Old March 16th, 2005, 06:25 PM
SimRacer

"Sergio Ramirez" wrote in message
Hello all:

I'm considering buying my first boat, and wonder if any of you folks have
any advice/opinion on the following:

- Lund boats or Alumacraft boats. I want a light 16' deep-V boat that I

can
trailer in my small Toyota pickup, which is rated for 3500 lbs trailering.
Around here there are a lot of Tracker boats, but I've heard complaints on
Tracker customer service and problem with leakage through the welds. They
tell me Alumacraft is a good quality boat, and Lund is top of the line.

I went through this same thought process back in 2002. I ended up with a G3
brand of boat. (Division of Skeeter/Division of Yamaha). Solid welds, no
leaks yet, and I am an average, but not easy user, of this boat. Nice layout
(for the money). Basically a "Bass Tracker" that doesn't leak, and was a few
bucks cheaper too. I'm also a fan of Yamaha engines, so the Yamaha/Skeeter
owned-G3 brand was an easy choice for me.

- The jet propulsion engines from Honda (BF35 or BF65). They really look
interesting because it allows access to shallow areas and it's quieter,

but
I wonder if this new technology (or perhaps not new, I don't know) is not
that well developed that it's best not to get into it at this moment.

I'm gonna go with the other advice you already got on this and say proceed
with caution, and only if you truly need extreme shallow water performance.
Jet propulsion is extremely ineffecient IMO. In addition to my G3 (Pro 175,
17' Mod-V model) I also have a Kawasaki Jet Ski (900 STX/100HP). That 100 or
so HP should make that little 3 seater fly, but I have only ever seen 56-57
on my GPS on flatout runs with it. Using it in really shallow water
regularly, will suck sediment/sand/debris through the grate and can
prematurely wear out the moving parts near the impellor, as well as the
blades of the impellor itself. The owner's manual even tells you to shutoff
the engine when coasting in to shore, in water "deeper than 2ft", to prevent
this sediment and sand problem from wearing the stuff out too soon.

If you're to mainly fish coastal/back waters and lakes of typical "boat"
size, then I'd go with a normal outboard. I think in the long run, a jet
pump would wear on your nerves. Especially the first time you have to hop
into the water to clean out the intake grate, and remove moss, alge, and
other stuff that LOVES to hang up in there on a regular basis. If you run in
crystal clear water, with little floating/loose debris if any, then this may
not concern you. If shallow draft isn't really what you're after, and
quieter sound output is, consider a 4 stroke. More money, but quieter and
arguably lower emissions (than *typical* 2 strokers) are their selling
points.

I'm in central Texas and I'm looking to do mainly bass fishing around the
Hill Country lakes (some of them pretty large bodies), and perhaps once in

while go to the Gulf coast to do bay fishing or close-to-shore fishing.

Thanks in advance for your help
Sergio

Good luck with your search and purchase. You're doing the right things,
you'll find something that totally flips your lid by doing all this
research, and you'll likely be happy with it once you decide on a
model/engine type as a result.

Old March 17th, 2005, 04:07 AM
bill a

Like some other guys said, jets are bad about intake clogging. I've had
one for a couple of years with a 6 degree deadrise bottom, but I run it in
shallow, fast running gravel type streams. If I was mostly going in lakes
and inshore, I think I would stick with a prop as the others said (power,
speed, fuel mileage, noise, clogging). The other thing not mentioned so
far, is that jets don't corner well, even with v-bottoms. I frequently see
newbies sitting in their boats on dry land because they misjudged making a
corner. While you don't have to do the twisty stuff near as much in lakes,
some hard swerving is bound to come up eventually.
The other thing on aluminum hulls is the bottom thickness. If you get
overly brave about running shallow, you inevitably will hit the bottom at
some point. Why have it if you don't use it?
The common jet boat bottoms around here are .19" thick and a 5052 alloy,
very tough stuff. They call them plate boats. If you have .100" or less
thickness and 2024 alloy, touching hard rock and even gravel sometimes will
open you up. You then sink really fast.
hth
bill

Old March 17th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Sergio Ramirez

Bill, Bob, SimRacer:

Thank you all for your help. From your comments it's obvious that the jet
propelled engine is not the best choice for my target application. I was
thinking that a jet-driven engine could add extra capability to the boat for
shallow water and allow me to fish the shallow flats in the Gulf coast, but
it's obviously not the case. You need a more specific rig for that. In
reality I'd do such a fishing trip rarely. I would say 99.9% of the times I
will be doing bass fishing.

Sergio

om...

Old March 18th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Pat Goff

Sergio,
There are plenty of good options for you to review. If you're wanting to
stay with Aluminum, a nicely equipped tunnel mod v will get you into 5" of
water, and still maintain control in rough water. Alumacraft makes a nice
package.

If you'd like to test ride one, drop me a line and we
can set it up.

"Sergio Ramirez" wrote in message
Bill, Bob, SimRacer:

Thank you all for your help. From your comments it's obvious that the

jet
propelled engine is not the best choice for my target application. I was
thinking that a jet-driven engine could add extra capability to the boat

for
shallow water and allow me to fish the shallow flats in the Gulf coast,

but
it's obviously not the case. You need a more specific rig for that. In
reality I'd do such a fishing trip rarely. I would say 99.9% of the times

will be doing bass fishing.

Sergio

om...

Old March 19th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Sergio Ramirez

Pat:

What model of Alumacraft are you referring to?

"Pat Goff @yahoo.com" pmgoffjrbot wrote in message
[...]

om...

Old March 19th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Pat Goff

Sergio,
The 1860 Tunnel Special is one of my most popular boats this yeat, go
anywhere, do anything in it.

[...]

om...