Fly Software

Old February 14th, 2006, 03:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Default Fly Software

Super Fly - based on Access 95, not updated since the mid 90's. Lot of
problems with newer systems.
Fly 2000 - Better, rather limited in the ability to add new materials.
There is no customization allowed in colors or insects that you match
too. Not updated since it came out in 1999. Inability to save in
other formats (html or Word), you must print in the native format, but
you can't email anything from it.
FlyLab morphed into an online database. Haven't seen it in years.
The problem with fly tying software is that it depends on a database.
There are some good, freeware databases out there, but it takes real
talent to put something like this together and DBA's are out there
earning 500 bucks an hour doing other things. One of the other things
that would be needed is a major publisher to put their pattern books
into a format usable for the home tyer. This would be the draw to buy
the software (i.e. its got 2000 Umpqua patterns built in).
Frank Reid

Old February 15th, 2006, 01:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Hate to correct you Frank but for the 20 years (63-83) in the AF, I paid
state and federal taxes and the only break we got was if you lived on base,
no federal taxes as long as it wasn't your home state. Some states did
exempt military personnel from taxes but NY certainly didn't. I even had to
pay a late fine once - never mind that I was in the far east at the time and
taxes were about the last thing on my mind at the time.....

I really doubt you're the same Frank Reid I served with in the AF but if you
were in Bitburg in the mid 60's and know what a Mace "B" missile is - we
most likely know each other.

Bob S.

"Frank Reid" wrote in message
oups.com...
It wasn't a cheap shot. To be a cheap shot, it would have to be
undeserved.
Yah know, I've met a huge number of Democrats in the military. Pretty
much equal to the proportion of Dems/Repubs in the US population. Then
again, those Democrats in the military are only there 'cause they were
using it to avoid paying taxes and live off the government.
On topic, I've yet to find any fly tying software that I really like.
Frank Reid

Old February 15th, 2006, 02:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Hate to correct you Frank but for the 20 years (63-83) in the AF, I paid
state and federal taxes...

I think you missed the humor in Frank's post.

vince norris

Old February 15th, 2006, 05:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Frank Reid wrote:

FlyLab morphed into an online database. Haven't seen it in years.
The problem with fly tying software is that it depends on a database.

Depending on a database is a problem for software meant to
be installed on a local computer--as a stand alone application:
because then you have to (also) install a database, and then only YOU
(on your local box) can look at the data.

But if the database and the GUI were web-based, then you'd have
something valuable. In other words, if the web-based application
allowed
complex customization of fly descriptions (variable material lists,
text discussion)
plus uploading of images, plus databaselike querying for all connecting
machines,
then you'd really have something: "show me all the html pages with
images
material lists, and arbitrary text, of woven body stonefly nymphs", for
instance.

I tried to finish up a system like that over this past christmas
break. I got pretty close, but no cigar just yet. Next time I have
a few days to put the grindstone, I should be able to get something
up and running.

The real question would be how to pay for it.
Would fly tiers LIKE to see a service like that, where connecting users
could
fill out a form, in order to upload fly images and describe flies,
.........essentially publish their own webpages, in a publicly
queriable site?

If so, how much would you pay?
One time fee?
Yearly subscription?
Or would that service have to be free to the users, and try to
pay for itself with Google advertizing?

Old February 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

I wasn't in Bitburg in the 60's but I do know what a Mace B is. I also
worked in missile systems maintenance. By the way, Bit is lousy beer.
And it was humor, spent 23 years with the Farce.
Frank Reid
(alive and living in San Jose for the week)

Old February 15th, 2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Grandaddy Bush got nailed by the Feds trying to support Hitler. He should
ahave been hung for treason. By then daddy was already born. I say hang him
'em both by proxy - hell in this administration anythings legal anyways.DC
"Mr. Opus McDopus" wrote in message

"Rusty Unger" wrote in message
I have seen "Fly Tying" software advertised on the internet, and was
wondering if anyone has tried any, and any reccomendations. Thanks.

--

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT
OF THEM!!! Please visit: www.operationshoebox.com

It must be easy being a Democrat...you don't ever actually have to stand
for anything.

That's funny, the shop I work in, is full of conservative Republicans, all
of whom voted for Dubya, all of whom support his WAR, except none of them
wants to discuss encouraging their sons and daughters to join any branch
of the military?

Why do you think that is so?

I bet I know!

Op --If you support a Hitler like figure, you should go down like him.--

Old February 16th, 2006, 05:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

I Forget wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
You're a moron, Gene, a dangerous moron, and I am embarrassed
to admit that you're an American moron.

Geezus Ken, can you get your ass and your political rants back into
the fishing group and get the **** out of here?

Nope. I was here before you got here and I'll be here
after you're gone, whoever the hell you are.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old February 16th, 2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

I Forget wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
I Forget wrote:
Geezus Ken, can you get your ass and your political rants back into
the fishing group and get the **** out of here?

Nope. I was here before you got here and I'll be here
after you're gone, whoever the hell you are.

I'm just a guy trying to read fly fishing and tying groups without
your off-topic asininity interfering.
I'm both willing and able to press control K but it would be nice if
you could stay on topic.

You are aware there is a topic here, aren't you Ken?

I'll stay on topic when everyone else does the same. For
example this little diversion posted here by an anonymous
jackass (that would be you) isn't on topic, now is it ?

You didn't get all bent out of shape by the asinine post
of Rusty Unger or the moronic observations of Gene Cottrell,
why the double standard all of a sudden ?

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

I Forget wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
For
example this little diversion posted here by an anonymous
jackass (that would be you) isn't on topic, now is it ?

If I am anonymous you can't know if I'm a jackass.

The answer to your question is no, it is not on topic.

I don't need to know your name to know you're a jackass.
And for someone who doesn't seem to mind making off-topic
posts him/her/itself you sure do carry on about it.

You didn't get all bent out of shape by the asinine post
of Rusty Unger or the moronic observations of Gene Cottrell,
why the double standard all of a sudden ?

All of a sudden? I thought I was anonymous, Ken.
Regardless, your response was the first to stoop to name-calling,
archetypical of your roff posts.

Nope, Mr. Cottrell started with the name-calling, it's
just that I'm a little better at it than he is.

Now then, do you know anything about fly software or will you be
leaving this discussion until you do?

I told you before, I'm not going anywhere, you silly jackass.
Hell, I'm just getting warmed up.

--
Ken Fortenberry