Tail end of the Pmd hatch

Old July 25th, 2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jimbo

Default Tail end of the Pmd hatch

"rw" wrote in message
m...
pittendrigh wrote:
...got a few new photos, from Saturday, of the tail end
of the Pmd hatch on the spring creeks near Livingston, MT.
One of the things I noticed was how remarkably yellow these
little mayflies look at a distance, and how much greener
and grayer they look close up.

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/.../RealBugs.html

Awhile ago the question of color of flies came up in ROFF. Some people
(including me) thought that fish would likely see colors very differently
from people. Others (rdean, for example) thought that there would be a
one-to-one relationship between the colors fish see and the colors fish
see, so it wouldn't matter.

I am not sure color really makes much difference, a least for dry flies, as
the fly is backlit anyway, and presumably, all the fish sees is a shadow. I
have used a black wing, grey wing, and white wing BWO within minutes of each
other and been successful with each. The choice of fly related to the water
and sun condition more than my perception of which wing color would fool the
wiley trout. Of course, just to be safe, I meticulously match body and tail
color to the killer samples of the flies I pick up at local shops, and from
local guides. ;^)

FWIW, I recently read that Tappley (of Taps Tips fame) conducted an
experiment with some of his friends one season, wherein each participant
fished "Tap's NearNuff" exclusively, changing only size, and at the end of
the season reported the results. The consensus was that using that one
pattern all season did not affect their success rate. I suspect that fishing
an Adams would have similar results, especially since, as AK Best recently
wrote (in Fly Rod and Reel, I believe), there are at least 4,000 variations
possible!

Jim Ray

Old July 25th, 2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

jimbo wrote:

FWIW, I recently read that Tappley (of Taps Tips fame) conducted an
experiment with some of his friends one season, wherein each participant
fished "Tap's NearNuff" exclusively, changing only size, and at the end of
the season reported the results. The consensus was that using that one
pattern all season did not affect their success rate.

What does that fly look like? What's the recipe?

If I had to use one fly all season (horrible thought!) it would be a PT
(or maybe a Skip's Nymph).

I suspect that fishing
an Adams would have similar results, especially since, as AK Best recently
wrote (in Fly Rod and Reel, I believe), there are at least 4,000 variations
possible!

Agreed, the Adams is the most versatile dry fly. I prefer the parachute
style and always carry sizes from #10 to #20.

Old July 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"rw" wrote in message
m...

Agreed, the Adams is the most versatile dry fly. I prefer the parachute
style and always carry sizes from #10 to #20.

I'll ditto the Adams pattern, my favorite, mine rage from #12-20 in both
light and dark.
I also have the Parachute Adams in 14-20 light and dark as well.
These are the 4 dry-fly patterns I fish the most.
-tom

Old July 25th, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

rw wrote in news:44c65a05$0$24189
:

If I had to use one fly all season (horrible thought!) it would be a PT
(or maybe a Skip's Nymph).

If I went with a dry, I'd probably go with a Usual, cause I could fish it
as a nymph in a pinch. Otherwise, I'd probably go w/ a grhe or something
like that. PT would be another option

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
rw wrote in news:44c65a05$0$24189
:

If I had to use one fly all season (horrible thought!) it would be a PT
(or maybe a Skip's Nymph).

If I went with a dry, I'd probably go with a Usual, cause I could fish it
as a nymph in a pinch. Otherwise, I'd probably go w/ a grhe or something
like that. PT would be another option

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

This may sound strange, but I actually had a rainbow swallow a #16 Adams
when the line & fly when under.
First time that's ever happened to me, but learned that you could possibly
fish a dry-fly as a wet-fly.
-tom

Old July 25th, 2006, 07:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Scott Seidman wrote:
rw wrote in news:44c65a05$0$24189
:

If I had to use one fly all season (horrible thought!) it would be a PT
(or maybe a Skip's Nymph).

If I went with a dry, I'd probably go with a Usual, cause I could fish it
as a nymph in a pinch. Otherwise, I'd probably go w/ a grhe or something
like that. PT would be another option

I'd like a link to the Usual pattern, or a recipe. Several people have
recommended it. I don't think it's a common Western US pattern.

The problem with doing a Google search for the Usual is that its name is
so, well, usual. :-)

Old July 25th, 2006, 07:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Tom Nakashima wrote:

This may sound strange, but I actually had a rainbow swallow a #16 Adams
when the line & fly when under.
First time that's ever happened to me, but learned that you could possibly
fish a dry-fly as a wet-fly.

I had the same experience last year when fishing the Little River in
the Smokies. I was fishing a #16 para Adams (the first and last fly I
tie on) upstream and it got swamped in a riffle. I just let it go and
tightened up my line to follow it and a little bow took it while it was
drifting past me underwater.

Chuck Vance (that was the closest I got to nymph fishing the
whole trip)
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

rw typed:

http://tinyurl.com/ld4wf
--
TL,
Tim

Old July 25th, 2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
William Claspy

On 7/25/06 2:31 PM, in article , "Tom
Nakashima" wrote:

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
rw wrote in news:44c65a05$0$24189
:

If I had to use one fly all season (horrible thought!) it would be a PT
(or maybe a Skip's Nymph).

If I went with a dry, I'd probably go with a Usual, cause I could fish it
as a nymph in a pinch. Otherwise, I'd probably go w/ a grhe or something
like that. PT would be another option

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

This may sound strange, but I actually had a rainbow swallow a #16 Adams
when the line & fly when under.
First time that's ever happened to me, but learned that you could possibly
fish a dry-fly as a wet-fly.

I do that all the time, and sometimes even on purpose :-)

In particular, with an EHC or trude pattern*, swung at the end of the drift
and given a little bit of action just under the menis...surface of the
water, it can be a deadly method!

With the Adams- and one reason I like the parachute style- the fly sits
pretty low already, and when it becomes almost-wet, or completely wet!, I
think it might resemble an emerging bug. Fish seem to like it anyhow.

Bill

*or Wolfgang's beloved Pass Lake

Old July 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J. wrote:
rw typed:
I'd like a link to the Usual pattern, or a recipe.

http://tinyurl.com/ld4wf

Tom Littleton ties the best Usual I've ever used. I got
it in a fly swap it's long since gone but it was a very
productive fly.

--
Ken Fortenberry