Comparing Fishing Boats

Old February 25th, 2004, 03:14 PM
overspeed36

Default Comparing Fishing Boats

I'm looking to purchase a new/used fishing boat. I like the Tracker Targa
models, but am concerned with the large number of these boats that are up
for sale compared to Sylvan, Lund, etc. Any comments?

Old February 25th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:14:41 GMT, "overspeed36"
wrote:

I'm looking to purchase a new/used fishing boat. I like the Tracker Targa
models, but am concerned with the large number of these boats that are up
for sale compared to Sylvan, Lund, etc. Any comments?

Yep.

This is not a crticism, but a observation. Tracker boats are fine for
what they are. They function acceptably for their intended purpose.
They are inexpensive as a first boat, but...

To get the best out of them, you need to upgrade the engine and
electronics packages and that costs money. The basic level stuff is
ok, but you won't be getting the best performance for your dollar with
the stock boats. Once you wander out of the pre-package deals, the
dollar figures go up on the relatively same level as it would with any
other boat. When you look at the boats for sale, they are pretty much
the basic package boats - should tell you something.

If you ever want to get out of a Tracker you will pay a premium if you
trade the boat or try to sell it outright. They don't hold value as
well as other tin boats. Once you get into them, you are pretty much
stuck with them unless you are willing to take a hit. You can get a
good trade up price for them Tracker for Tracker, but most of that is
markup so you still aren't gaining anything or any kind of return on
the money being layed out.

Lunds are the top of the line tin boat and frankly, well worth the
money. I have a 14 foot Lund as a "rock" boat that I use in small
ponds and rivers and it's worth the same amount of money as I paid for
it ten years ago. I will admit that it's in mint condition, but
still, I really haven't lost money on it.

So over time, which is better?

If this a condemnation of Tracker? No - they are what they are.
Which is better for you is your decision.

Research technigue is important. I would look around at new Lunds,
Princecraft, Trackers, Polarkraft, etc., and really look the new
boats over closely. Get a feel for new boat prices. Then you will have
a better grasp of how the used boat prices compare in comparison to
features you like and how much money it's going to cost.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT