Dave Scadden Pontoon Craft

Old February 17th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Bill

Default Dave Scadden Pontoon Craft

I am in the final process of deciding on my first pontoon boat and it
looks like the first pontoon I looked at - Dave Scadden - Madison
River (9 foot)- I like the best. Does anyone have any experience with
these pontoons? This does not have internal bladders, frame brakes
down to 3 pieces, weighs only 46lbs without platform. Portability is
very important as I have a small car - must fit in trunk with back
seats down.
Will be using mostly on Upper Delaware ( class I & II).
Have not decided if I should get Standing Platform w/leaning bar - any
thoughts?
(seems it could be more of a nusiance if mostly pulling over and
stopping to fish)

How about Sal****er use? For Stripers? - feeder rivers to ocean or
bays?
Old February 17th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Frank Reid

Have not decided if I should get Standing Platform w/leaning bar - any
thoughts?
(seems it could be more of a nusiance if mostly pulling over and
stopping to fish)

How about Sal****er use? For Stripers? - feeder rivers to ocean or
bays?

Get the standing platform. You will be amazed at the increase in fish
you spot, ease of casting/landing, yadida, yadida.... Also, if
available, an anchor system. Drop the anchor, hop off, and fish.
Just do it.
Frank Reid
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:20 PM
just al

I owned/used a Bucks Bags 8 footer while living in Montana. It's about that
weight and fishes well on moving and still water. I have sold that since
moving back to NY, but would now buy a pontoon that is NOT recommeded for
moving water if I was close enough to float the Delaware regularly. Why?
The Delaware is baby poo in terms of danger and there are no sharp rocks or
tree snags that will POP the pontoons. I would not get a stand but use
flippers and sit back and relax. We took out Bucks Bags on class 3 rapids
with only flippers regularly. You'll find that careful planning and some
backkicking will help you into some back eddies for easy surfing and
superfishing that the average angler can't experience.

om...

Old February 17th, 2004, 09:23 PM
just al

Anchors are a waste. Just pull it up on shore. If you anchor in moving
water you're asking for trouble in a pontoon. The platform doesn't allow
speed control and forces you to follow the speed of current--inhibiting the
ability to cover many different drifts with your fly before passing over
some prime water. Platforms are only good if someone is rowing for you.

Old February 18th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Frank Reid

Anchors are a waste. Just pull it up on shore. If you anchor in moving
water you're asking for trouble in a pontoon.

I specialize in trouble and haven't had any yet. I use it to anchor in
shallow eddies and cast to shore. Quite often, the reason I'm in the
pontoon boat is I can't reach the water from the shore and vice versa. What
"trouble" should one expect?

The platform doesn't allow
speed control and forces you to follow the speed of current--inhibiting

the
ability to cover many different drifts with your fly before passing over
some prime water.

Actually, in slower water, it allows great control via the fins. In bigger
water, I've use a trolling motor. Have you ever used a pontoon boat?

Platforms are only good if someone is rowing for you.

No, not true. I would not use a platform in faster water, but some rivers
(i.e. the Great Ouse in the UK) and still water fishing make the platform
very useful.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old February 18th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Frank Reid

He also mentioned sal****er use. For that you really want the platform.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old February 18th, 2004, 05:38 PM
just al

I have no experience with sal****er. I do know the bucks bas rep told us to
warn customers not to try and anchor in moving current. On the bucks model
it is possible to capsize it (anchor's in the back). Also if the anchor
gets snagged in moving water you will be asked for trouble as well. The
anchor to hold it on shore makes sense when fishing from land (sandbar,
banks, etc.)

Though none of this has happened to my friends or me personally, I still
followed the reps advice. But then again, I'd be willing to use a
stillwater pontoon on moving water...hmmmm

Old February 19th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Ted Bobetsky

I would think seriously about launching a pontoon craft in a sal****er
situation that has any potential major current. If you are in a large
sal****er bay that's one thing, but in a tide flowing scenario you could
easily get into trouble. For example, a place I take clients is the mouth of
Barnstable Harbor on Cape Cod, MA. The flats have moderate current on
outgoing tides but the main channel is major and no amount of fin paddling
is going to work. Just be careful, check out the tides wherever you decide
to go and scope it out thoroughly first. No fish is worth drowning for.

Good fishing...Ted

Old February 19th, 2004, 05:28 AM
joe

In article ,
"Ted Bobetsky" wrote:

I would think seriously about launching a pontoon craft in a sal****er
situation that has any potential major current. If you are in a large
sal****er bay that's one thing, but in a tide flowing scenario you could
easily get into trouble. For example, a place I take clients is the mouth of
Barnstable Harbor on Cape Cod, MA. The flats have moderate current on
outgoing tides but the main channel is major and no amount of fin paddling
is going to work. Just be careful, check out the tides wherever you decide
to go and scope it out thoroughly first. No fish is worth drowning for.

Good fishing...Ted

I have seen a few of these type craft in sal****er (very few) but I
think you would do much better with a kayak or canoe.

For the canoe you can start with something stable (though there are
always compromises) and then add outrigger stabilizers (Spring Creek as
I recall is a vendor). You can certainly get where you are going quicker
and cover more water.

For the kayak you could use the same formula as you can add the
outriggers to them as well. I use a Hobie Outback with a pedal system
and I have yet to see a current that it could not handle (of course I am
not fishing in the NE either). I have come through Longboat Key near
Sarasota Fl at full outgoing tide though.

Another option for a kayak that will allow you to stang is the
Tribalance (I have one of those also). It will not capsize but that does
not mean you can not fall out. It also offers the option of sitting
inside in inclement weather as you get in or out but also on top. An
easy rise to your feet to make a cast.

There was one fellow off one of the central FL beaches fishing for
tarpon from an intertube (good size hammers are seen there also); they
nicknamed him 'bait'

good luck!

Atlanta JOE
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:26 PM
rb608

"Bill" wrote in message
om...
I am in the final process of deciding on my first pontoon boat and it
looks like the first pontoon I looked at - Dave Scadden - Madison
River (9 foot)- I like the best. Does anyone have any experience with
these pontoons?

I was eyeing those up at the recent FF show & thought they were soundly
constructed in my limited experience.

How about Sal****er use? For Stripers? - feeder rivers to ocean or
bays?

Methinks a 10# striper could tow you a good ways in a direct you don't want
to go. g

Joe F.