Bamboo fly rod ID

Old August 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Norm Dion

Default Bamboo fly rod ID

Can someone help me identify a 9-ft, 3-piece bamboo rod marked
simply "Mincex(?)" There are no other markings.

TIA

Old August 20th, 2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:56:57 -0700, "Norm Dion"
wrote:

Can someone help me identify a 9-ft, 3-piece bamboo rod marked
simply "Mincex(?)" There are no other markings.

TIA

Does this rod have very shiny (or chromed) ferrules and fittings with
brightly-colored wraps (bright red, green, etc.) and a grip that looks
like it was made from wine cork rejects and carpenter's glue? Also, how
is it marked - with what appears to be pen and ink, a decal, or ???

TC,
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Norm Dion

The ferrules are a dull gray metal of some type.
The wrappings are a dull olive drab color.
Three-piece cork handle of standard quality.
The only marking, Mincex, appears to be a decal.
The rod came with a second tip section.

Hope this helps.

Old August 20th, 2008, 11:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

The only thing I come up with is the acronym for the Cuban ministry of
the exterior Mincex. Seriously.
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

wrote:

Can someone help me identify a 9-ft, 3-piece bamboo rod marked
simply "Mincex(?)" There are no other markings.

TIA

Does this rod have very shiny (or chromed) ferrules and fittings with
brightly-colored wraps (bright red, green, etc.) and a grip that looks
like it was made from wine cork rejects and carpenter's glue? *Also, how
is it marked - with what appears to be pen and ink, a decal, or ???

TC,
R- Hide quoted text -

Can you post a picture somewhere?

--riverman
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

On Aug 20, 5:35*pm, wrote:
The only thing I come up with is the acronym for the Cuban ministry of
the exterior Mincex. Seriously.
Dave

I found the same. After WWII, a lot of Japanese companies produced
bamboo rods. This was on the level of everybody and their brother
making rubik's cubes. From the quality and decal as a marking, odds
are, its one of these. Enjoy it, fish it and if you find out down the
road that its worth megabucks 'cause it was built by Castro's half-
brother from a sweat shop in Boone, NC, then you'll be pleasantly
surprised and will have fond memories of the fish you caught on it
before you hung it over the mantle (where your wife promptly took it
down and used it to stake up her tomatoes).
Frank Reid
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:17:41 -0700, "Norm Dion"
wrote:

The ferrules are a dull gray metal of some type.
The wrappings are a dull olive drab color.
Three-piece cork handle of standard quality.
The only marking, Mincex, appears to be a decal.
The rod came with a second tip section.

Hope this helps.

Nothing in the finish description immediately strikes me as a particular
clue as to the "Mincex," but a decal on a bamboo is not a sign of a
high-end maker - most custom, higher-end makers used pen-and-ink on the
rod and a very few, like Payne, and marked fittings (FE, Paynes had
"logo'ed" buttcaps). Generally, it was Montagues, South Bends, etc.,
and in a class by themselves, the Asian souvenir rod - the mass-produced
rods - that had decals. I suspect that your rod is most likely one of
the Asian rods, but for some reason, France comes to mind - maybe it's
just the "X" at the end reminding me of Devaux (a French fishing
supplies supplier/maker) or ???, but it came to mind, so I'm passing it
on.

If it is an Asian rod, and it fishes to your liking, then use it any way
you see fit as it has no collectable or historical value and minimal
monetary value.

And you didn't ask specifically, but as is commonly encountered and in
most instances, a bamboo rod, unless authentic, in fairly good original
condition, and marked from a well-known and desirable maker, isn't the
rare, monetarily valuable thing many (esp. antique dealers) think it to
be. That said, legit rods from these makers can be worth a fair amount,
but there just aren't that many of them left unaccounted-for floating
around for lucky folks to stumble over at tag sales, flea markets, etc.

TC,

.. .