TR Kaylin's First Fishing Trip

Old August 16th, 2008, 03:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default TR Kaylin's First Fishing Trip

I've been training Kaylin to the canoe the last few days and
she's not amused. Why would you want to sit in a wooden box
and paddle your way around a lake when you could just get in
the water and swim ? Doesn't make sense to a water dog.

The first day we went to a little used boat launch on a little
used lake and practiced "Inyago", "Sit", "Down", and the general
you can stop whatever you're doing command, "Okay". All this
with the canoe under a shade tree on dry land. None of these
commands were new. "Inyago" applies to getting in the car as
well as getting in the canoe and "Sit, Down and Okay" are well
established.

The second day we actually put the canoe in the water. Kaylin
was not amused. The first canoe trip lasted less than ten minutes,
the final one less than twenty but she was able to sit fairly
still and behave as well as a four month old puppy can behave.

Today we went for canoe lesson #3 and a fishing trip broke out.
(My fault. ;-) We waded a mile or so of the Middle Fork and
despite my retriever happily retrieving my fly line (and expecting
to be praised for chewing up $65 worth of fly line ;-) a good time
was had by all.

Pix he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ken_for...7606752805631/

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 16th, 2008, 05:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Aug 16, 10:43*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
[...]

Nice pics. Why do I suspect a new sport in the future; catch, release
and retrieve?

--riverman
Old August 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:43:08 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

[...]

Happy you are enjoying her. She's adorable.

Do everyone a favor, however; don't go out in public without pants on.
I've seen boney knees, but yours...................yikes. d;o)

Old August 16th, 2008, 12:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

wrote:

[...]

That was my take. Really nice looking dog, great scenery, poor arrangement
of other props. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old August 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

wrote:

[...]

Good looking dog. She's a keeper.

Geo.C.
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

In article , Ken Fortenberry
writes
I've been training Kaylin to the canoe the last few days and
she's not amused. Why would you want to sit in a wooden box
and paddle your way around a lake when you could just get in
the water and swim ? Doesn't make sense to a water dog.

It would to my Labrador!

What do you know - a Labrador who doesn't want to swim!!!!

He'll go in up to the point when his undercarriage gets wet then backs
out (Stupid lovely dog!)
--
Bill Grey

Old August 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"W. D. Grey" wrote in message
In article , Ken Fortenberry
writes
I've been training Kaylin to the canoe the last few days and
she's not amused. Why would you want to sit in a wooden box
and paddle your way around a lake when you could just get in
the water and swim ? Doesn't make sense to a water dog.

It would to my Labrador!

What do you know - a Labrador who doesn't want to swim!!!!

He'll go in up to the point when his undercarriage gets wet then backs out
(Stupid lovely dog!)
--
Bill Grey

That's Bear--mother's German Sheperd.
So long as I am in the water, he's in the water. He won't venture in to
water where his paws don't touch the botton of the stream, unless I call
him out to me. Then he will swim out and circle me, as many times as I call
him back to me, when he is headed back to solid ground.

I haven't tried him out in the canoe yet. I am working on getting the cane
seats repaired, and it looks like it will be next year before I'll be able
to take the canoe out again--a freiend is routing out the grooves for me, so
that I can re-cane the seats with pre-woven cane mats.

Now Beau-re-Guard the Wonder Dog would sit patiently with me on canoe rides,
unless someone else came close to us in another canoe or boat. Then she
would stand-up and watch them move safely on by us?

I sure miss 'ol Beau. She was as calm and sweet as the came. Bear is a sweet
fella, but considerably more frantic than Beau was. However, Bear is a much
better fishin' buddy, as he stays at my side or directly behind me when
fishing. Beau was prone to lagging behind or heading up stream--Snagged her
once with a back cast. She wasn't too pleased about that.

Gotta love them four-legged canine critters!

Op

Old August 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dry Heat[_3_]

Ken,

What in the world are you doing on the Vermillion river in IL? That's my
old stomping grounds, but haven't been back there in 20 years, since moving
to AZ. Had a lot of fun on that old river between Pontiac and La Salle when
I was a kid. Probably still a lot of silver rocks below Streator from my
canoe.

Old August 18th, 2008, 05:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 15-Aug-2008, Ken Fortenberry wrote:

I've been training Kaylin to the canoe the last few days and
she's not amused. Why would you want to sit in a wooden box
and paddle your way around a lake when you could just get in
the water and swim ? Doesn't make sense to a water dog.

Ken

Beautiful pup!
Congratulations on a wonderful lifetime friend and fishing companion

We have a border collie and a Germnan short hair pointer bitch
They say on our proprety
I am thinking of a Springer Spaniel as a fishng dog -
but That would mke 3 dogs and 4 cats - so only just thinking

Fred
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message

I've been training Kaylin to the canoe the last few days and
she's not amused.

Good stuff Ken,

Sweet looking pup!

Thanks for sharing,