Jackson Hole Hike/Fish backcountry suggestions?

Old August 17th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Default Jackson Hole Hike/Fish backcountry suggestions?

Jeff Miller wrote:
snip

indian joe and i walked back into the gardner from an access road to the
"incinerators" (?)... there was still a bit of runoff and the water was
high, fast, and off-color. it looked like a good spot to explore back
toward its headwaters. ...

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Even if you
could get to Osprey Falls, (I've hiked with you, you couldn't),
what in the hell are you gonna do then, grow wings ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old August 17th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Jeff Miller

i posted a picture on abpf of the place on the gardner where we walked
in and fished, including an upstream shot from a rise. i'm sure you know
the spot. i'll post it again for you to judge the precise location. i
have no idea where osprey falls is located, though if it's the gardner
i'd guess it was in those mountains a good distance to the
west/northwest of our entry. clearly, i know where indian joe and i
fished. i'm certain it was the gardner. i'm certain it was the portion
of the gardner on the west side of the main road and about a half mile
to a mile above panther and indian creek. i'm certain that there are
hiking trails along and above the gardner in the area we were. i know
there are a lot of miles of the gardner between the area we went in and
its headwaters. i'm certain one could walk "toward the headwaters" from
where we started and find an uncrowded spot. my statement was intended
as one of direction rather than destination. i didn't write "fish the
headwaters".

i appreciate your assessment of my hiking ability, and i admit you are
probably correct. i'm in even worse shape now than i was whenever you
were last judging my hiking abilities.

clearly, you don't know what i'm talking about. perhaps that's my fault
for being inarticulate or less than specific; perhaps it's your fault
for being such an arrogant know-it-all.

if you know where the access road is located, then i'm sure you know
where we were. instead of your typical pompous critical screed, why not
provide the information you seem to possess? so how far is it to osprey
falls from the access area, and where should tom fish in the area
between the access entry and fawn lake and/or your osprey falls?

jeff

Old August 17th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Jeff Miller top posted:

snip
i'm certain one could walk "toward the headwaters" from
where we started and find an uncrowded spot. my statement was intended
as one of direction rather than destination. i didn't write "fish the
headwaters". ...

The original poster requested information on a backcountry hiking/
camping/fishing trip of 3 days and 2 nights in or around Yellowstone.

The route you suggest is not suitable. Anyone who has actually
camped in the backcountry in or around Yellowstone with fishing
as a criterion would know this instantly by looking at a map.

If you don't know what you're talking about you're better off
not posting at all than posting misinformation to an honest query.

And you continue to be rude, stupid and lazy and that's no way
to go through life, Jeffie.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old August 18th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Jeff Miller

so, are you saying there is no backcountry hiking/camping/fishing on
that stretch of the gardner, kennie? no one hikes to or camps near fawn
lake? there are no fish in the lake, fawn creek, or that stretch of the
gardner? when did you last fish or hike that stretch of the gardner
kennie? you clearly don't know what you are talking about if you are
suggesting there is no camping, hiking, or fishing in the stretch i
recommended. if you are saying the catching of fish isn't as good, or
the size of fish is too small for you to enjoy, or there aren't any
cutthroat...why not just say so instead of your arrogant spew?

having now looked up osprey falls, it appears to be well downstream and
on the east side of the mammoth/norris road in the canyon area, which is
a good distance downstream from the access road we used on the west side
of the mammoth/norris road. i guess you were confused about the access
road i was describing.

tom said:
The trip should place special emphasis on the hiking, camping,
scenery, wildlife, etc. ... it's currently unclear
whether the fishing alone will sell her on it.

in reading his post, i guess i didn't get the impression that the
fishing was a priority "criterion" for this part of the trip. it's my
understanding this area of the gardner has brook trout and some
rainbows, and that it is not "popular" primarily because of the size of
the fish. that it is not popular is attractive to me...and seemed to be
one of tom's criteria.

if you were recommending third meadow as less crowded, then clearly you
don't know what you are talking about. slough creek is one of those
destination spots. if you can't hike it, there are loads of outfitters
with horses and llamas to get you there. i suspect it garners a crowd
more days than not. when we were there, third meadow was reported to be
the most crowded of the three meadow stretches - assholes to elbows was
the description i recall. though the area of slough creek we saw around
second meadow is certainly prettier than the gardner, and the slough
cutthroat were happy to oblige a patient fisherman, my bet is tom would
see fewer folks on the stretch of the gardner i suggested. plus, it's
got a beautiful backdrop, it's relatively easy walking, seemed to have
fewer flies and mosquitoes, you can keep (and hence eat) five brook
trout under 13", there is lots of wildlife, and there is a family
campground just down the road by indian creek if the need arises.

if your posts consist primarily of negative, impolite, arrogant, and
pompous screeds, you're better off not posting at all.

your hypocritical concept of rude is not worth considering...i've
previously admitted to being stupid and lazy. if you're the antithesis
of rude, stupid, and lazy, i think i prefer my way of life kennie.

jeff

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Jeff Miller top posted:

snip

Old August 18th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Jeff Miller

tom said:
[...]

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Jeff Miller top posted:

snip

Old August 18th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Danl

"Jeff Miller" wrote in message
so, are you saying there is no backcountry hiking/camping/fishing on
that stretch of the gardner, kennie? no one hikes to or camps near fawn
lake? there are no fish in the lake, fawn creek, or that stretch of the
gardner? when did you last fish or hike that stretch of the gardner
kennie? you clearly don't know what you are talking about if you are
suggesting there is no camping, hiking, or fishing in the stretch i
recommended. if you are saying the catching of fish isn't as good, or
the size of fish is too small for you to enjoy, or there aren't any
cutthroat...why not just say so instead of your arrogant spew?

Actually, Willi and I caught browns, brookies, rainbows, and Cutts in that
stretch... all in one afternoon. I really like that little river. True, I
never saw a fish over 14" come out of there, but I thought that the Gardner
was a great little stream.

Danl

And considerably less hiking/bugs than slough crick......

jeff