tying knots

Old June 13th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Allen Epps

Default tying knots

In article , riverman
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
Line to leader.......nail knot or leader link

What about Perfection Knots here? Loop-to-loop works for me.

Leader to tippet..... Dbl Surgeons knot
Tippet to tippet.....Dble Surgeon knot
Tippet to fly.....Improved clinch knot

I've been converted to the Grinner. It's easier to tie, and tightens up
without curling the tippet.

Be sure to wet ALL knots before pulling them tight or you will get curly

cues
in your monofilament line......

yep.

--riverman

For anything finer than 4X I use a triple surgeons knot for the leader
to tippet. I know the Improved Clinch is not the best knot around but
I've just been tying so long my fingers move autmatically.

Allen
Old June 13th, 2004, 01:37 AM
snakefiddler

"rw" wrote in message
m...
riverman wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

Line to leader.......nail knot or leader link

What about Perfection Knots here? Loop-to-loop works for me.

yeah, that's another one the guy showed me. what do ya'll think of tying
tools?

snakefiddler

The so-called Perfection Loop is a weak knot. You'd be better off with a
no-slip loop knot. Of course, in heavy leader material it doesn't really
matter.

Old June 13th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Charlie Wilson

"Mike" wrote:
Line to leader.......nail knot or leader link
Leader to tippet..... Dbl Surgeons knot
Tippet to tippet.....Dble Surgeon knot
Tippet to fly.....Improved clinch knot

Those are all the knots I ever use,
'cept for the ones that tie my shoes.

Old June 13th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Tim J.

"snakefiddler" wrote...
"Wayne Harrison" wrote...
"snakefiddler" wrote

this knot tying stuff is not easy. he did show me a neat little
knot tying tool. any recommendations for favorites?

i have fished for trout for the last 34 years, with more than a little
success, knowing how to tie exactly one knot: the improved clinch.

yfitp
wayno

maybe you can show it to me in october?

If I sit on your lap and bat my eyelashes, will you show me, too, Uncle Wayno?
)
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 13th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Tim J.

"snakefiddler" wrote...
"rw" wrote...
riverman wrote:
"Mike" wrote...

Line to leader.......nail knot or leader link

What about Perfection Knots here? Loop-to-loop works for me.

yeah, that's another one the guy showed me. what do ya'll think of tying
tools?

IMHO, tying tools should be used only after you master all the knots by hand
first. If you become reliant on a tool and then don't have it with you some
time, it could ruin a trip.
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 13th, 2004, 03:08 AM
snakefiddler

"Tim J." wrote in message

"snakefiddler" wrote...
"rw" wrote...
riverman wrote:
"Mike" wrote...

Line to leader.......nail knot or leader link

What about Perfection Knots here? Loop-to-loop works for me.

yeah, that's another one the guy showed me. what do ya'll think of

tying
tools?

IMHO, tying tools should be used only after you master all the knots by

hand
first. If you become reliant on a tool and then don't have it with you

some
time, it could ruin a trip.
--
TL,
Tim
http://css.sbcma.com/timj

sounds like good advice....
snake

Old June 13th, 2004, 03:08 AM
snakefiddler

"Tim J." wrote in message

"snakefiddler" wrote...
"Wayne Harrison" wrote...
"snakefiddler" wrote

this knot tying stuff is not easy. he did show me a neat little
knot tying tool. any recommendations for favorites?

i have fished for trout for the last 34 years, with more than a

little
success, knowing how to tie exactly one knot: the improved clinch.

yfitp
wayno

maybe you can show it to me in october?

If I sit on your lap and bat my eyelashes, will you show me, too, Uncle

Wayno?
)
--
TL,
Tim
BTW, I almost agreed with 40, but I caught myself.
http://css.sbcma.com/timj

now see, if one of the guys made a request for a fellow roffian to show him
how to tie a knot, i'm pretty sure it would have been met with a response
similar to something like, "yeah sure, i'll show ya at the next clave,or if
whatever next fishin event we attend."
but when i make a similar request, it is met with such silliness, and
disdain, as was offered up by forty- what gives?

snakefiddler

Old June 13th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Steve Sullivan

"snakefiddler" wrote

this knot tying stuff is not easy. he did show me a neat little
knot tying tool. any recommendations for favorites?

I use the tie fast combo tool. I do not like the company do to personal
issues, but it is the tool to get.
Old June 13th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Tim J.

"snakefiddler" wrote...
"Tim J." wrote...
[...]

Well, if you must know, here's why it's so silly. The clinch knot is the first
knot most anyone who fishes learns to secure their fly/lure/hook to the tippet.
If you haven't learned that knot yet, chances are you haven't been tying on a
fly.

Also, before your time here, wayno and rw were involved in a thrilling g
discussion over wayno's choice of knot(s). It kinda became a running joke for a
while with the knot-meisters on one side and wayno on the other. Although wayno
only uses one knot and most of the rest of us use many more, it's only because
wayno spends his time in other.....pursuits. ;-)

.. . . and on another front, the double-smiley included in my original post
indicates humor, not disdain. Don't start gettin' all sensitive on us now, okay?
Roff doesn't need another whiner.
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 13th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Willi

snakefiddler wrote:

now see, if one of the guys made a request for a fellow roffian to show him
how to tie a knot, i'm pretty sure it would have been met with a response
similar to something like, "yeah sure, i'll show ya at the next clave,or if
whatever next fishin event we attend."
but when i make a similar request, it is met with such silliness, and
disdain, as was offered up by forty- what gives?

I don't believe it's because you're a woman (well it is but not JUST
because of that). At least as I read it, you "flirt" at times. I think
what you're seeing is a natural response to that. Cyli, for example,
doesn't flirt and she gets a different type of response than you do.

Willi