WOMEN ON THE WATER: Women on the Fly

Old November 25th, 2005, 03:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater

Default WOMEN ON THE WATER: Women on the Fly

Brought to you by:

the South Florida Sport Fishing Magazine

AS SEEN IN SFSF MAG Nov/Dec 2005 ISSUE
By Merry Beth Ryan

Fly fishing is becoming increasingly popular
among lady anglers.

What is it that makes fly fishing so appealing to the lady angler? After
speaking to many female fly casters I came to the conclusion that one thing
is for certain -- passion plays a major role in their quest to become lost
in the solitude of fly fishing. Spending time in the outdoors is something
that is meant to be shared with everyone and passing on fishing knowledge to
those we love and cherish is priceless. Unfortunately, women in general have
not been lured to learn the art of fly fishing because many believed they
couldn't master it; and aside from greats like Joan Wulff, there are very
few female role models in the sport of fly fishing. But, as the sport has
evolved, all that has changed. Nowadays, women excel in the art of fly
fishing.

It goes without saying that Joan Wulff is without question the most famous
female fly anglers in the world. Considered by many to be one of the finest
fly casters ever, her career in the sport has spanned more than 60 years.
During which, Wulff has proven that women can not only learn to fly fish,
but can excel and ultimately compete against men in a sport that is still
primarily male dominated. Wulff has won numerous national and international
casting titles including a distance event in which she cast 161 feet while
competing against an all male lineup. Today, Wulff serves as a consultant to
Royal Wulff Products and the R.L. Winston fly rod company. She also runs a
fly fishing school in upstate New York.

Fly fishing offers solitude for those who truly love it. There is a certain
peace involved with fly fishing that unites the mind and body which attracts
a growing number of ladies to the sport every year. By rising to the
seemingly endless number of challenges in mastering the technique, a lady
fly fisher can gain a great sense of achievement, self-confidence and pride
that she can use in all aspects of her life.

Recently, I interviewed Nanette Holland, Public Outreach Coordinator for the
Tampa Bay Estuary Program. After seeing the movie A River Runs Through It
five years ago, Holland decided she wanted to see what fly fishing was all
about. So, she treated herself to a trip to Oregon to fish with a friend who
guides in the area. Today, Nanette is a member and former president of the
Tampa Bay Fly Fishing Organization and although most of her fishing is done
in Tampa Bay area, she owns a cabin in the 10,000 Islands area and fishes
there as often as she can. Although Nanette has memories of fishing with her
father as a child, fly fishing was something she pursued on her own.

"I was intrigued by the art and grace of fly fishing" Holland said. "It's
not an easy sport to master; and it takes a special guide to work with a
lady angler for the obvious reasons."

Along the way, Holland has hired several guides to help her improve on her
technique. Some were helpful, but others nearly spoiled Nanette's dreams of
becoming a lady fly fisher by being overpowering with their instruction.

"For me taking instruction is easy if it is given in the right way," Holland
said. "But if I constantly feel like I'm being yelled at, I find it very
hard to concentrate on what I'm trying to do or learn."

Far and away her favorite fish to stalk with a fly rod, Nanette landed her
first tarpon on fly while fishing with Captain Kevin Mihailoff out of
Everglades City earlier this year. Holland said Captain Kevin patiently
guided her to her most thrilling fishing experience ever. Her voice was
filled with enthusiasm while she told me what it felt like to be at the
other end of a fly rod with a 40 pound tarpon attached to it. It is a memory
I am sure she will carry with her for a lifetime.

Action is one of the things Nanette enjoys most about fly fishing. "It's
never boring," explained Nanette "You are always doing something when you're
fly fishing."

Nanette told me she felt sal****er fly fishing is more of a challenge for
her than freshwater fly fishing. She explained that you have to cast longer
distances and throw heavier lines and flies when targeting sal****er fish.
But the rewards of catching bigger, stronger fish are something that keeps
her coming back time and again.

In interviewing many lady fly casters, I also learned that catching fish is
actually secondary to most of them. Instead, experiencing the Zen-like
relaxation of the sport and being close to nature is a welcomed respite for
many women who juggle careers and families while looking for an outlet for
their creative energies. For many women, fly fishing seems to be the perfect
combination of self-expression and outdoor activity

In recent years, fly fishing has become more accessible and more attractive
for women around the world. In fact, the female fly fishing market is
dramatically expanding. Today, there are fly rods designed specifically to
fit a woman's hand and several of the most popular fishing clothing
manufacturers have added women's apparel to their product lines, allowing a
woman to feel even more comfortable as she sets out to achieve her goals.

Fly fishing has a mysterious, romantic nature. Presenting a nearly
weightless fly effectively enough for a fish to mistake it for the real
thing is exciting to say the least. As the sport evolves, more and more
women are learning that fly fishing isn't about how strong you are, it's
about technique. Put simply, fly fishing is a finesse sport, an art form.
Ladies, get out there an experience the grace and beauty of a positively
enthralling experience. You'll get hooked right from the start.

Visit this article and other like it at www.southfloridasportfishing.com