dorset fishing

Old May 26th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Ian Sutherland

Default dorset fishing

Hi All,

coming down to Dorset next week along with rod. Based north of Dorchester.
Any recommendations for where to fish, bait supplies, other helpful tips?

Ian

---

Old May 26th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Ian Sutherland
wrote:

coming down to Dorset next week along with rod. Based north of Dorchester.
Any recommendations for where to fish, bait supplies, other helpful tips?

I took my first open beach mullet of the year on sunday at Ringstead so
don't forget the light gear and few loaves.

A few bass were taken last neaps by people spinning/plugging on quiet
beaches over the top of the tide. ('Next week' is a little vague - ht from
11am-5pm would be worth trying.) Otherwise garfish and pollock are coming
to the float on Portland.

There are mackerel all along the coast but they're not coming within reach
of shore with any reliability yet - you should get a few at first light from
Weymouth's Stone Pier or you may hit a shoal at Burton Bradstock if you like
that sort of thing.

Cheerio,

Old May 26th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Ian Sutherland

--

thanks Derek

"Next week" was deliberatly vague, because no timetable as yet..

Bass & mackerel sound great, as I really would like to target the eatables!
Up here (East Yorkshire), the season has gone very lean, a few bass,
dogfish, whiting thinning out & the occasional codling.

How about bait shops & venues anyone?

Ian

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old May 26th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Ian Sutherland
wrote:

"Next week" was deliberatly vague, because no timetable as yet..

Sounds sensible - as long as that means you can go when conditions are
*right*

Bass & mackerel sound great, as I really would like to target the eatables!

Imo the gar and mullet are in better eating condition than the bass and
mackerel atm.

How about bait shops & venues anyone?

Pick the venue by the weather on the day.

Bait? There are a couple of shops in Weymouth, one in Wyke, West Bay,
Dorchester, Wareham, Swanage... how far are you going?

Though I often wouldn't take any at this time of year unless mullet fishing.
A couple of quids worth of ragworm will get you the first one which you then
cut for fresh bait. You can be more mobile with a box of spinners and a few
floats in your pocket.

Peelers and sandeels are worth using if you can get them but don't use the
peelers in daylight unless you want wrasse.

Cheerio,

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Ian Sutherland

"Derek.Moody" wrote in message
In article , Ian Sutherland
wrote:

[...]

Thanks again Derek,

info stored for further use. I am relative visiting, so my time will be
mostly my own. Hope the weather keeps going, and trying 'gar' will be
something different from my normal east coast diet. Light tackle sounds to
be the name of the game then, again quite a departure from up round here.

Regards,

Ian Sutherland

---

Old May 27th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Ian Sutherland
wrote:

info stored for further use. I am relative visiting, so my time will be

If you'll have net access email me closer to the time I'll be out a couple
of times over the weekend and should have more up-to-date info.

mostly my own. Hope the weather keeps going, and trying 'gar' will be

Light float gear to carry 10gm or so. #4 hook, sliver of fishbait about a
meter below the float. Try the west side of Portland Bill.

something different from my normal east coast diet. Light tackle sounds to
be the name of the game then, again quite a departure from up round here.

No point in heavy stuff unless you are trying for an unusually early conger
or a (very slim chance) tope. All you'll get are crabs and dogfish.

Cheerio,