"Name this dog!"

Old December 31st, 2004, 01:35 PM

Default "Name this dog!"

We appear to have been adopted by a rather nice female husky. I don't
much about them, but from 'net info thus far, it appears that she might
be a full-blood. We are considering "Sobaka" (basically, Anglicized
Russian for "dog") and "Sasha," but are still collecting suggestions.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Huskies and have any info to
share? I've done the 'net thing, and gathered quite a bit of info, but
any personal experience-type info would be appreciated.

Here is what I know at this point: apparently, she had a litter of pups
last year and _probably_ hasn't been fixed, she is "bi-eyed"(?), with
one blue and one brown eye, she seems, well, "natural" with a leash, and
she seems to have a _major_ flea problem that we've started to treat
with a flea bath (she needed a bath anyway) and will move on to other
treatments, but I've read something about Huskies being susceptible to a
dermatitis problem, as well.

Thanks in advance,
Old December 31st, 2004, 02:19 PM
Thomas Littleton

RDean notes:
We appear to have been adopted by a rather nice female husky.

Good dogs. Wonderful omen for the New Year, as this dog lover sees it.

she seems to have a _major_ flea problem that we've started to treat
with a flea bath (she needed a bath anyway) and will move on to other
treatments, but I've read something about Huskies being susceptible to a
dermatitis problem, as well.

I know a few folks who have owned Huskies over the years, and yes, they do
seem prone to some types of skin conditions. As the owner of a smaller
Nordic Breed, I have found that it is critical to keep up with the fur.
These breeds have dense underfur along with the shiny outer coat, and with
the Eskimo we have, the underfur has to be brushed out daily to prevent
matting. The matting will eventually lead to minor irritations which might
be an aggravating cause leading to more serious conditions.
As for the flea thing, Zodiac is the best product I have used for killing
fleas in the environment around the affected dog, and Advantage is very
effective at keeping the pet flea-free, although I don't know how effective
it is on the initial killing of fleas on a badly infested dog.

Enjoy your new pal!!!! Oh, and BTW, Happy New Year!
Tom

Old December 31st, 2004, 03:34 PM
rw

We appear to have been adopted by a rather nice female husky. I don't
much about them, but from 'net info thus far, it appears that she might
be a full-blood. We are considering "Sobaka" (basically, Anglicized
Russian for "dog") and "Sasha," but are still collecting suggestions.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Huskies and have any info to
share? I've done the 'net thing, and gathered quite a bit of info, but
any personal experience-type info would be appreciated.

I once owned a Malamute, which is a dog temperamentally similar to a
Siberian, which I imagine is what you have. (They commonly have blue
eyes.) I've also known quite a few Siberians that were owned by friends.

Dogs have individual personalities, just like people do, but some breed
characteristics are reliable. The Siberians I've known are high-energy
dogs with minds of their own. It is a challenge to get them to obey,
especially off-leash. They make very poor guard dogs and tend to be
somewhat standoffish with people. Malamutes are notorious cat killers
(mine certainly was). I don't know if that holds true with Siberians.

I think they're very interesting dogs if you can get past the obedience
problems.

Here is what I know at this point: apparently, she had a litter of pups
last year and _probably_ hasn't been fixed, she is "bi-eyed"(?), with
one blue and one brown eye, she seems, well, "natural" with a leash, and
she seems to have a _major_ flea problem that we've started to treat
with a flea bath (she needed a bath anyway) and will move on to other
treatments, but I've read something about Huskies being susceptible to a
dermatitis problem, as well.

The absolute best flea treatment I've found, hands down, is Advantage.
It's available either from a vet, or (somewhat cheaper) from large pet
food stores. Once you have the fleas under control, a once-monthly
application Advantage is all you'll need.

Old December 31st, 2004, 07:08 PM
Mark W. Oots

We had a Husky for 11 years. She was the most loving and intelligent dog
I've ever seen. When she died after a brief illness, nearly 3 years ago, the
entire family and a few of the neighbors cried openly for 3 days.

She had one annoying habit...She loved to run! If she got out the front
door, she'd run till SHE decided it was time to come home.

"Mercedes" ashes are on our mantle...Still miss that dog.

You'd be hard pressed to do better.

Mark

Old December 31st, 2004, 07:37 PM
rw

Mark W. Oots wrote:

She had one annoying habit...She loved to run! If she got out the front
door, she'd run till SHE decided it was time to come home.

That's typical of Siberians and similar breeds if you don't spend time
training them to come. My Malamute had the same problem -- he'd come
when he was damn well ready. I finally cured him of it by shooting him
in the flank with a slingshot, hard enough to sting real good. He
thought it was a lightning bolt from the gods, and ran right to my side,
where I praised and consoled him. Never had a problem after that one shot.

I see a lot of people having trouble getting their dogs to come. They
call, and call, and call, not realizing that the more they call while
the dog won't come, the more they reinforce the behavior. Then, when
they finally manage to get the dog, they're so ****ed off that the dog
is freaked out.

Old December 31st, 2004, 08:21 PM
W. D. Grey

In article k.net, rw
writes
The absolute best flea treatment I've found, hands down, is Advantage.
It's available either from a vet, or (somewhat cheaper) from large pet
food stores. Once you have the fleas under control, a once-monthly
application Advantage is all you'll need.

In the UK we have a flea treatment called "Frontline" - is this the same
thing as "Advantage". It comes in little phials and one phial is
applied on to the skin between the dogs shoulder blades. The dose is
according to size/weight. One treatment protects the dog for three
months against fleas and one month against ticks.

Hope this helps.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Old December 31st, 2004, 08:24 PM
W. D. Grey

In article . net, rw
writes
I see a lot of people having trouble getting their dogs to come. They
call, and call, and call, not realizing that the more they call while
the dog won't come, the more they reinforce the behavior.

Try Googling Dr Ian Dunbar - puppy training.

He emphasises that you must always make it worth the dog's while to come
to you with a treat, on copious praise.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk