$60 Dumb Mistake

Old February 8th, 2004, 02:05 AM
RGarri7470

Default $60 Dumb Mistake

Last week when I went to West Point Lake the Lowrance X65 depthfinder on the
dash of my boat started acting strange - giving me fuzzy readings and finally
locking in on a 0 to 5 foot scale and showing the bottom at 2 feet, no matter
how deep the water.

Yesterday I went to Oconee and the depthfinder worked fine - for a little
while. Then it started again, giving fuzzy readings and then locking in on the
0 to 5 foot scale. I have an identical X65 on the front so I switched. It
started doing the same thing. Only thing I could figure was a tranducer
problem.

I took the boat out and went to a nearby marina and found a tranducer that
would work. I bought it and headed back to the ramp. At the ramp, when I
reached down to put the plug back in, I noticed the tranducer was tilted back.
I had looked at it before and it looked fine, but I had not crawled under
there to check. It was loose and would tilt back when moving in the water, then
go straight when the boat stopped. I could not see a problem but as soon as I
got under there and tightened it up, it worked fine.

I now have a spare tranducer!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:26 AM
John Kerr

$60 Dumb Mistake

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Sun, Feb 8, 2004, 2:05am (CST+6)
From: (RGarri7470)
Last week when I went to West Point Lake the Lowrance X65 depthfinder on
the dash of my boat started acting strange - giving me fuzzy readings
and finally locking in on a 0 to 5 foot scale and showing the bottom at
2 feet, no matter how deep the water.
Yesterday I went to Oconee and the depthfinder worked fine - for a
little while. Then it started again, giving fuzzy readings and then
locking in on the 0 to 5 foot scale. I have an identical X65 on the
front so I switched. It started doing the same thing. Only thing I could
figure was a tranducer problem.
I took the boat out and went to a nearby marina and found a tranducer
that would work. I bought it and headed back to the ramp. At the ramp,
when I reached down to put the plug back in, I noticed the tranducer was
tilted back.
=A0=A0I had looked at it before and it looked fine, but I had not
crawled under there to check. It was loose and would tilt back when
moving in the water, then go straight when the boat stopped. I could not
see a problem but as soon as I got under there and tightened it up, it
worked fine.
I now have a spare tranducer!
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Like ya said Ronnie...ya now have a spare transducer grin! I wish I
had a nickle for all the things I have "overlooked" in my life!
JK

Old February 10th, 2004, 12:21 AM
go-bassn

Let's hope that'll be the worst mistake you make this year Ron...

WW
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/

Old February 10th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Huck Palmatier

....get another boat to put that transducer on, then you can share the X65
between them said Huck

Old February 11th, 2004, 03:05 AM
RGarri7470

get another boat to put that transducer on, then you can share the X65
between them said Huck

Good idea - already thought of that. I am putting together a boat to use on
small waters and all I need now is a power cord!
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com