What is a plummet?

Old April 29th, 2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

Default What is a plummet?

Got one free with a tackle box. A wee lead thing with spring hinge. What is
it?

xiv

Old April 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

"louisxiv" wrote in message
Got one free with a tackle box. A wee lead thing with spring hinge. What
is it?

xiv

It is used for measuring the depth of water you are fishing in, it can also
be used for finding underwater features.

--
Don't go chasing crocks of gold,
or you will miss seeing the rainbows

www.eric-gales.co.uk
Updated 01/11/05

Old April 29th, 2006, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

"Ergo" wrote in message ...
"louisxiv" wrote in message
Got one free with a tackle box. A wee lead thing with spring hinge. What
is it?

xiv

It is used for measuring the depth of water you are fishing in, it can
also be used for finding underwater features.

--
Don't go chasing crocks of gold,
or you will miss seeing the rainbows

Indeed........

Clip it on to your Hook or "bottom shot" whichever you want "just on the
bottom" then set the float depth accordingly. I just use a lightly attached
Swan Shot.

Ken Ward.

Old April 29th, 2006, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

"Ken Ward" wrote in message

"Ergo" wrote in message
"louisxiv" wrote in message
Got one free with a tackle box. A wee lead thing with spring hinge. What
is it?

xiv

It is used for measuring the depth of water you are fishing in, it can
also be used for finding underwater features.

--
Don't go chasing crocks of gold,
or you will miss seeing the rainbows

Indeed........

Clip it on to your Hook or "bottom shot" whichever you want "just on the
bottom" then set the float depth accordingly. I just use a lightly
attached Swan Shot.

Ken Ward.

I may be being thick but i'm afarid I don't follow... :-(

Old April 29th, 2006, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

louisxiv wrote:
"Ken Ward" wrote in message

"Ergo" wrote in message
"louisxiv" wrote in message
Got one free with a tackle box. A wee lead thing with spring
hinge. What is it?

xiv

It is used for measuring the depth of water you are fishing in, it
can also be used for finding underwater features.

--
Don't go chasing crocks of gold,
or you will miss seeing the rainbows

Indeed........

Clip it on to your Hook or "bottom shot" whichever you want "just on
the bottom" then set the float depth accordingly. I just use a
lightly attached Swan Shot.

Ken Ward.

I may be being thick but i'm afarid I don't follow... :-(

The plummet is used to find how deep the water you are fishing is.
To do this you attach the plummet to the hook then gently cast it into the
water.
If the float sinks you need to alter the float to give it more depth.
If the float rests on top of the water you are too deep, you need to alter
the float so you are fishing shallower.
Keep trying until the tip of the float is just out of the water then you
know your bait will be on the bottom.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Old April 29th, 2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

"louisxiv" wrote in message

Clip it on to your Hook or "bottom shot" whichever you want "just on the
bottom" then set the float depth accordingly. I just use a lightly
attached Swan Shot.

Ken Ward.

I may be being thick but i'm afarid I don't follow... :-(

See below, it is taken from.
http://www.fishing4fun.co.uk/tackle/lead.shtml

The plummet is used to find how deep the water you are fishing is. To do
this you attach the plummet to the hook then gently cast it into the water.
If the float sinks you need to alter the float to give it more depth. If the
float rests on top of the water you are too deep, you need to alter the
float so you are fishing shallower. Keep trying until the tip of the float
is just out of the water then you know your bait will be on the bottom.

OR...

Plummet:
These are specially designed lead weights, used to help work out a depth of
a swim. They are cone shaped, have a small loop at the top, and have a cork
base. You attach them to your float rig by threading the hook and line
through the top loop, then locking the hook in place by pushing the hook
point into the cork. You cast out your float rig and keep adjusting the
position of the float until you only see the float tip. You remove the
plummet and it should be at the perfect depth.

Ken Ward.

Old April 30th, 2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

"Ken Ward" wrote in message

"louisxiv" wrote in message

[...]

Gotcha. Took me a while but I got there in the end!

Cheers