Most Humane Way to Clean Fish

Old November 21st, 2005, 04:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Most Humane Way to Clean Fish

"Maybe you should have given me that reason or answer that I needed
instead of being sarcastic."

Oh, I'm sorry. My bad. I thought you had at least a modicum of
understanding about fly fishing, since you were posting to a fly
fishing newsgroup.

--riverman

Old November 21st, 2005, 12:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Stan Gula wrote:

wrote:
snipped for the sake of the fish children

Wowee, wow, this is mind boggling. I'm thinking blinding headaches are
involved somehow.

I vote for a helmet lined with tin-foil.

Chuck Vance (and the voices)
Old November 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

If you're one of the apparent majority who this doesn't relate to, and you're not interested, find another thread to read.

You imperious little twerp. You will not tell me what to read, nor
will you tell me what to reply too. Interested, yes. I'm always
interested when some person tries to spread FUD (fear, uncertainty and
despair) about anything. Most publications call it propaganda. No,
you will never convince the members of this forum that your point of
view is correct. Unfortunately, you may give an idea to someone who's
not formed an opinion based upon fact and reasoning. That's why I have
attempted reasoned arguments and clarification of points. All of which
you have ignored. You have not the sense that God gave a goose.

But you're probably correct that rec.outdoors.fishing.bass is a more appropriate newsgroup for this.

I sent you there because its a trap. For the most part, those people
will shred you limb from limb. I tell you this now, because you're
going to ignore this and go there anyway. It should be fun.

Could someone define fly fishing for me?

Fly fishing is more than a technique, it is a concept. It has been
more than adequately defined in this thread. Then again, you're lack
of cognitive skills has caused you to ignore the information given to
you.
Barry, many folks here tried to help you. They were attempting to
explain the love of their sport and quarry. You chose, either
purposefully or through a base inability to comprehend, to ignore their
input. Well, now its time to ignore you. EOT (and since you choose
not to follow links I won't even mention where you could find the
meaning of this) for me.
Frank Reid

Old November 21st, 2005, 02:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:01:08 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

Tobiko!
http://www.origamirestaurant.com/sus...ned_tobiko.jpg
guys are making me hungry now.

While stationed 15 miles west of Yokohama in the 50s, I ate sushi
before it became a popular U.S. dish, and yes, that included the eggs.
But my favorite Japanese food was pizza from the Marko Polo Restaurant
in Chinatown, Yokohama, with its "mystery" meat on top. It was
supposed to be pepperoni, but it only *resembled* pepperoni. It was
the only pizza joint in Yokohama.

Pretty funny, I'll ask my wife about Marko Polo's.
Yokohama is a port in Japan and back then had a large Military Base, so I'm
not surprised they had restaurants catered to Americans.
My wife is from Yokohama, she actually introduced me to Japanese foods;
sushi and sashimi, and I introduced her to Pizza's and Calzoni's. Her father
was in the service and stationed in Yokohama, so she had her education on
the base.
It was rare for me to meet a gal from Japan who didn't have a Japanese
accent and could speak english better than I. Her first job was on the
military base working in the kitchen, and her biggest mistake was washing
the huge 10 year old (never washed) metal coffee percolator with soap. She
told me they wanted to put her on the firing squad.
-tom

Old November 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Hi Barry; Making any new friends? Convincing anyone of anything? g

And you posted a study without even reading it first?? Wow,
how.....scientific....of you.

FYI, its about how to anesthetise fish, NOT about whether or not they
feel pain. And its about using CO2, not ice. Also FYI, I already
provided you a link with an article (peer reviewed, cross referenced,
published in a professional journal and all that) that states that fish
can not feel pain because of the makeup of their brains. If you'd
really like to know the evidence, then read it. But your statement
above tells me that you actually percieve Sara Fox, Ph.D's ("I have a
PhD.....in SCIENCE!") opinion as 'evidence', and actually being
scientific, and logical. Whether or not fish feel pain is, like most
science, debated, but not by Sara Fox, PhD. His/her entire article was
busybody opinion...incredibly uninformed opinion....a lot like what you
are presenting here.

Gee, do you research your political website as well as you researched
this? Or do you just let your emotions run you in circles there, too?

--riverman

BTW, its called a PRIEST. Its been spelled out for you at least a half
dozen times, and it works a hell of a lot better than either an
icebucket or a killfile.

Old November 21st, 2005, 04:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"riverman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Barry; Making any new friends? Convincing anyone of anything? g

Barry, I'll have to agree with rw. Most of the folks in this group are
pretty friendly. If you're coming here to make waves or pick an argument,
this probably isn't the newsgroup for you. I've found this newsgroup to be
very useful as many of them are experts in the field of fly-fishing. You can
use this newsgroup to gain knowledge to your advantage if fly-fishing is
what you're interested in. Many of these fine fisherman might think twice
the next time you ask for advice.
fwiw,
-tom

Old November 21st, 2005, 04:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

riverman wrote:

And you posted a study without even reading it first?? Wow,
how.....scientific....of you.

I only posted a reference because I don't know where to find the study
yet. Don't you think it's good to offer people information like that
about what's being discussed? I made no claims about the study. It's
nitpicking like that (in addition to childish name calling) that made
me not care about your link.

FYI, its about how to anesthetise fish, NOT about whether or not they
feel pain. And its about using CO2, not ice.

Quote the part about the CO2 if you read it. Where did you find the
article? Does it even matter what they used for the cold anesthesia?
Ice is cold too. Here's the reference again:
-----------
Yoshikawa, H.; Ueno, S.; Mitsuda, H., (1989), Short and long-term cold
anesthesia in carp.
Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi Bulletin of the Japan Society for Science and
Fisheries. v. 55 (3), p. 491-498. ISSN: 0021-5392.
NAL Call no: 414.9 J274
Descriptors: cold anesthesia, long term, short term, carp.
-----------

Here's one with an abstract:

-----------
Yoshikawa H, Ueno S, Mitsuda H (1989) Short- and long-term
cold-anesthesia in carp. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi/ Bulletin of the
Japanese Society of Scientific Fisheries. 55(3):491-498

The efficacy of cold anesthesia in the transportation of live fish was
evaluated using carp (Cyprinus carpio) acclimated at 23°C. The carp
could be safely maintained in an anesthetic state for 5 h in water kept
at 4°C and in the anesthetized or sedated state for 24 h at 8-14°C.
Some anesthetized carp showed signs of convulsion when they received
external stimuli, and bled mainly from gills. Hemorrhage became
distinct with the decrease in temperature and the duration of the cold
treatment. The sedated carp showed no such excitement and bleeding. The
sedated state is considered to be adequate for transportation,
regardless of the anesthetic time; 14°C seems to be the optimal
temperature when the carp are acclimated to 23°C.
-----------

Also FYI, I already
provided you a link with an article (peer reviewed, cross referenced,
published in a professional journal and all that) that states that fish
can not feel pain because of the makeup of their brains.

Ok, I followed the link ( http://www.cotrout.org/do_fish_feel_pain.htm
). I see no indication that it was peer reviewed or published in a
professional journal, and it doesn't say that fish can't feel pain.
See, this is why I want specifics before I spend my time following your
links. It was published on a website about "Conserving, protecting and
restoring Colorado's coldwater fisheries."

[Others here need to throw some specifics in their attacks to]

Whether or not fish feel pain is, like most
science, debated...

That's enough for me to not skin a fish alive, which was one of the
things I want people to know. It took over 100 posts for someone to
admit that and to post any kind of reference. Pathetic.

BTW, its called a PRIEST. Its been spelled out for you at least a half
dozen times, and it works a hell of a lot better than either an
icebucket...

I'm not so sure about that, unless you kill the fish swiftly with it,
and then it serves a different purpose than the ice.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Ok, I followed the link ( http://www.cotrout.org/do_fish_feel_pain.htm
). I see no indication that it was peer reviewed or published in a
professional journal, and it doesn't say that fish can't feel pain.
See, this is why I want specifics before I spend my time following your

links. It was published on a website about "Conserving, protecting and
restoring Colorado's coldwater fisheries."

Actually, that was a summary article. The original was posted in
'Review of Fisheries Science' and was much more extensive in nature.
Although it only took a few seconds to find it, I know you won't
actually chase it down, so here is a link to the original:

http://www.animal-health-online.de/drms/rosefish.pdf

I can see that this is going nowhere, and will certainly continue to do
so. You go ahead and pretend to want to learn anything, and I'll let
others here pretend to try and illuminate you. Have a nice day.

--riverman

Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"riverman" wrote in message
ups.com...

...You go ahead and pretend to want to learn anything, and I'll let
others here pretend to try and illuminate you....

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!

Wolfgang
aw, c'mon coach......put me in......i can DO it!