A camera testimonial

Old December 27th, 2005, 11:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default A camera testimonial

Went fishing for steelhead today -- caught a walleye instead.

But the interesting thing -- my "weatherproof" Olympus 410 digital P &
S sustained a prolongued dunking in near-freezing water and appears to
have survived. The camera comes with copious warnings that it is
weatherproof, not waterproof.

I had intended to put the camera inside my fleece vest but instead,
had unintentionally slid it between my waders and wading jacket,
hanging from a lanyard. In this position, only the drawstring of my
wading jacket prevented it from falling out into the water.

Problem was, I waded almost tit deep, with just an inch or so of wader
keeping me dry. The camera was full immersed for long periods of time
as I stood casting in water that was lapping at the bottom of my
jacket cargo pockets.

Then somewhere along the line, the camera fell out from under the
soaking wet jacket hem and dangled even deeper. I was unaware of this
little drama until I climbed out and one of the local guides I started
chatting to, remarked on it.

Still seems to work just fine.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Peter Charles wrote:
Went fishing for steelhead today -- caught a walleye instead.

No photo? :-)

Old December 28th, 2005, 12:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Peter Charles wrote in
:

Still seems to work just fine.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Was the camera on? I'd think not. Weatherproof often is good enough for
fair dunkings, so long as the lenses are closed, and such. Keep in mind
that they're designed to survive the high-humidity environments that can
form in, say, a pants pocket. Note that I said "often good enough"-- which
is by no means guaranteed. I learned this, by the way, after I took a
dunking with my friend Andy Cooper standing nearby, and I was concerned
about my Yashika. The guy used to put competition cameras through the
ringer for Kodak, and he knows point and shoots.

BTW-- watch yourself! You're probably lucky you didn't hook a steelie
while wading like that.
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

rw wrote in news:zBksf.3463$R84.505
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Peter Charles wrote:
Went fishing for steelhead today -- caught a walleye instead.

No photo? :-)

You're just excited 'cause he said "tit"
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Old December 28th, 2005, 12:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Peter Charles wrote:
Went fishing for steelhead today --
Problem was, I waded almost tit deep, with just an inch or so of wader
keeping me dry. ...

Add one more to the list of suicidal maniac wading
whackjobs.

You ever been fishing with Charlie Wilson and Willi ?

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 28 Dec 2005 00:15:07 GMT, Scott Seidman
wrote:

Peter Charles wrote in
:

Still seems to work just fine.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Was the camera on? I'd think not. Weatherproof often is good enough for
fair dunkings, so long as the lenses are closed, and such. Keep in mind
that they're designed to survive the high-humidity environments that can
form in, say, a pants pocket. Note that I said "often good enough"-- which
is by no means guaranteed. I learned this, by the way, after I took a
dunking with my friend Andy Cooper standing nearby, and I was concerned
about my Yashika. The guy used to put competition cameras through the
ringer for Kodak, and he knows point and shoots.

BTW-- watch yourself! You're probably lucky you didn't hook a steelie
while wading like that.

Ya, it was closed. I don't carry it with the lens cover open. Thing
was, this camera was probably underwater, completely or partially for
the better part of an hour or two.

The water levels were well up so to get to a decent casting point, I
had to wade through a trench. Even when I was standing at the best
spot, I was still up to the bottom of my jacket pockets at times which
would leave the camera well dunked.

Old December 28th, 2005, 12:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:32:38 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Peter Charles wrote:
Went fishing for steelhead today --
Problem was, I waded almost tit deep, with just an inch or so of wader
keeping me dry. ...

Add one more to the list of suicidal maniac wading
whackjobs.

You ever been fishing with Charlie Wilson and Willi ?

Don't worry -- I'm a real scardy-cat wader, not like Charlie or Willi
at all.

Old December 28th, 2005, 12:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Peter Charles wrote:
Went fishing for steelhead today --
Problem was, I waded almost tit deep, with just an inch or so of wader
keeping me dry. ...

Add one more to the list of suicidal maniac wading
whackjobs...

Yeah, weird, ainna? Still, strange as it may seem, getting in the water
really IS a normal part of wading.

Wolfgang

Old December 28th, 2005, 01:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

You ever been fishing with Charlie Wilson and Willi ?

I don't know about Charlie, but Willi is a pussy when it comes to
wading. Even I make him look sick, especially when I have a wading
staff. Now Bruiser, on the other hand ...

Now that I have this Pentax Optio WP camera I'm going to be a fearless
wader, and I'm going to carry some dry clothes in a waterproof sack.

Old December 28th, 2005, 01:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 28 Dec 2005 00:15:07 GMT, Scott Seidman
wrote:

Peter Charles wrote in
:

Still seems to work just fine.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Was the camera on? I'd think not. Weatherproof often is good enough for
fair dunkings, so long as the lenses are closed, and such. Keep in mind
that they're designed to survive the high-humidity environments that can
form in, say, a pants pocket. Note that I said "often good enough"-- which
is by no means guaranteed. I learned this, by the way, after I took a
dunking with my friend Andy Cooper standing nearby, and I was concerned
about my Yashika. The guy used to put competition cameras through the
ringer for Kodak, and he knows point and shoots.

"high humidity" "pants pocket" missed that on the first run through.
Obviously the word "tit" has apparently already produced one example
of high pant humidity in the ROFFian community.

BTW-- watch yourself! You're probably lucky you didn't hook a steelie
while wading like that.

No worry, was using my trusty Snowbee -- no steelie in existence can
overwhelm that beastie. When wading tit deep (there's that word
again) it helps to have a long rod. (Oops, think I may have gone and
done it again -- more suggestive words leading to instances of high
pant humidity in those who are suggestible).