To Clave or Not to Clave?

Old December 3rd, 2003, 06:56 PM
Chas Wade

Default To Clave or Not to Clave?

It looks like I could bust out tomorrow and drive the 1276 miles to
Navajo Dam.

Problems with that a

1) My son Andy's 26th birthday is the 10th and I'd miss it. He'll
probably want to take me steelheading that day, and we'd quite possibly
catch one.

2) The steelheading is picking up around here.

3) I'd be driving alone. (Anyone interested in a ride from the
Northwest?)

4) I haven't tied up any microscopic flies.

Thanks in advance for your ideas,

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html

Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:25 PM
rw

Chas Wade wrote:
It looks like I could bust out tomorrow and drive the 1276 miles to
Navajo Dam.

Problems with that a

1) My son Andy's 26th birthday is the 10th and I'd miss it. He'll
probably want to take me steelheading that day, and we'd quite possibly
catch one.

I don't know Andy all that well, but my guess is that he'd tell you to
go to the Clave.

2) The steelheading is picking up around here.

Excellent! When can I visit? :-)

3) I'd be driving alone. (Anyone interested in a ride from the
Northwest?)

I'd meet you in San Francisco or Sacramento, but I've already bought my
plane ticket. How about flying to Albuquerque and meeting Bruiser and me
on Friday, around noon? It wouldn't cost much more than driving, if at
all. You'd be back in Seattle on Wednesday the 10th, possibly in time
for some steelhead fishing.

4) I haven't tied up any microscopic flies.

I'd don't think you'll have to worry about that. If Bruiser doesn't owe
you for those pike flies, he certainly owes you for that pike he caught
in Montana this summer. :-)

Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:14 PM
Chas Wade

rw wrote:

I'd meet you in San Francisco or Sacramento, but I've already bought
my
plane ticket. How about flying to Albuquerque and meeting Bruiser and
me
on Friday, around noon? It wouldn't cost much more than driving, if at
all. You'd be back in Seattle on Wednesday the 10th, possibly in time
for some steelhead fishing.

An interesting idea. The best flights I can find are $350, if I'd
tried a couple weks ago it would surely have been better. The drive
should take about 125 gallons, @$2 (premium) that's $250. A couple
motel 6 stays and I'm up to the $350.

That leaves us 270 miles from the Juan. Would you have room in the
rental car?

I'm also contemplating a stop on the way home at the Rio Grande for
pike. That wouldn't fit with the fly/drive combo.

As for coming to fish for steelhead, it's a bit early yet, some fish
are in, but it's not hot yet. I suspect we'd do better to meet at the
Clearwater or Snake. Steelheading is good sometimes here, but it's
never like the salmon fishing, and it nore often slow. When's a good
time for the Clearwater of some other fishery in that neighborhood?

Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:25 PM
rw

Chas Wade wrote:

That leaves us 270 miles from the Juan. Would you have room in the
rental car?

Bruiser lives in Albuquerque, and he has a very comfortable Toyota
Tundra (although it lacks low-end torque :-) ) with an extended cab.
I'll sit in the back if you come.

I'm also contemplating a stop on the way home at the Rio Grande for
pike. That wouldn't fit with the fly/drive combo.

No plan is perfect.

As for coming to fish for steelhead, it's a bit early yet, some fish
are in, but it's not hot yet. I suspect we'd do better to meet at the
Clearwater or Snake. Steelheading is good sometimes here, but it's
never like the salmon fishing, and it nore often slow. When's a good
time for the Clearwater of some other fishery in that neighborhood?

I've never fished there, but my understanding is that it goes through
January and into February. If you're up for an adventure I'll meet you
there this winter. I have a hunch that it might be possible to talk
Warren into bringing the Gink Drift Boat for a weekend. :-)

--
cut "to the chase" for my email address.

Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:29 PM
Willi

Chas Wade wrote:

It looks like I could bust out tomorrow and drive the 1276 miles to
Navajo Dam.

Problems with that a

1) My son Andy's 26th birthday is the 10th and I'd miss it. He'll
probably want to take me steelheading that day, and we'd quite possibly
catch one.

2) The steelheading is picking up around here.

3) I'd be driving alone. (Anyone interested in a ride from the
Northwest?)

4) I haven't tied up any microscopic flies.

Thanks in advance for your ideas,

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html

Fly in. We'll find room, we've got flies, and you should be able to
catch some of the pseudo steelhead they planted.

Willi

Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:57 PM
Chas Wade

rw wrote:

Bruiser lives in Albuquerque, and he has a very comfortable Toyota
Tundra (although it lacks low-end torque :-) ) with an extended cab.
I'll sit in the back if you come.

Sounds good, when would we be back in ABQ to fly out? I'll see if I
can find a compatible flight. The one I found lands at ABQ at 1:15 or
so Friday.

As for coming to fish for steelhead, it's a bit early yet, some fish
are in, but it's not hot yet. I suspect we'd do better to meet at
the
Clearwater or Snake. Steelheading is good sometimes here, but it's
never like the salmon fishing, and it nore often slow. When's a
good
time for the Clearwater of some other fishery in that neighborhood?

I've never fished there, but my understanding is that it goes through
January and into February. If you're up for an adventure I'll meet you
there this winter. I have a hunch that it might be possible to talk
Warren into bringing the Gink Drift Boat for a weekend. :-)

I hope Warren's working or fishing, and that's why he hasn't responded
to this yet. I am up for an adventure, even if we're shore bound.

Thanks,

Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:31 PM
rw

Chas Wade wrote:

Sounds good, when would we be back in ABQ to fly out? I'll see if I
can find a compatible flight. The one I found lands at ABQ at 1:15 or
so Friday.

We'd come back to Albuquerque on Tuesday, stay at Bruiser's Tuesday
night, and fly out first thing Wednesday. My flight leaves at 8:10am.

Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:33 PM
Lennie Richardson

not. i'm not over the flu i had t-day yet.

if you get up to abiquiu, drive up to the monastery and tell abbot philip i
said hi.

Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:53 PM
Chas Wade

rw wrote:
We'd come back to Albuquerque on Tuesday, stay at Bruiser's Tuesday
night, and fly out first thing Wednesday. My flight leaves at 8:10am.

I just got an Email from Bruce with the same offer. An offer I can't
refuse.

See you Friday,

Old December 4th, 2003, 01:03 AM
Chas Wade

rw wrote:

We'd come back to Albuquerque on Tuesday, stay at Bruiser's Tuesday
night, and fly out first thing Wednesday. My flight leaves at 8:10am.

I'm scheduled to arrive on Delta #3897 at 11:52AM on Dec 5 at ABQ.

Departure is Frontier #793 at 10:30AM Dec 10.

Now it's time to switch gears from Salmon to Trout and tie some flies.

!!!!!!!!