Hooks for newbie

Old December 9th, 2003, 05:31 AM
daytripper

Default Hooks for newbie

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 02:25:31 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

daytripper wrote:
"Norman Greenwood" wrote:
barbless fishing does more damage!.

Read that gibberish to yourself and then tell us how it makes any sense.

Could be the guy has a point. If all you're doing is playing with the
fish, strictly catch-and-release in other words, it wouldn't surprise
me if an endless succession of barbless hooks did more damage to the
fish than an endless succession of barbed ones.

The theory being that the barbed hook stays in one place while the
barbless hook rolls around and around.

I've seen some obscene grotesqueries at the Kiddy Hole on the San Juan,
fish with mouths the sight of which makes you want to puke.

Could be the guy has a point.

Obscene grotesqueries happen, barbed or barbless, but primarily through
thoughtless handling of the catch after the fact, not during the fight.

I've seen way WAY more mishandled fish that were stuck with a barbed hook than
barbless, including the occasional brutal scene that inspired a whole lot of
me mouthing off immediately thereafter. I've given some of my best fishing
buddies a hard time over the struggle to unhook a barbed fly.

Barbs are senseless for C&R, period.

It is inconceivable to me that a barbless hook "jumps around" within the mouth
of a fish played even modestly well. I've never seen any evidence of that
phenomenon, ever. But then I can count the number of fish that I've visibly
injured (what other metric can one use?) in a few decades of flyfishing on one
single hand. I don't think it takes a miracle or a genius for that, just
simple common sense from choice of flies to the release.

Finally, I truly believe that most peeps fishing barbless will take
intrinsically better care of the catch...

/daytripper (who has witnessed barbed lip-rippers, never barbless ones...)
Old December 9th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Stephen Welsh

Let me just finish what

Norman Greenwood wrote in part:
these people
provide the fish
for customers to catch on a commercial basis and have decided that
barbless fishing
does more damage

to the turnover of customers in a given day and the catchability of
the fish.

The same reason why some fisheries don't allow C&R.

*ka-ching*

Steve

Old December 9th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Hooked

"Lat705" wrote in message

On all hooks without the "deep"
barb, I've had no breakage problem as long as I am carefull to keep the

jaws
on the straight portion of the hook.

Lou T

Exactly what I meant by being careful.

Thanks for the helpful explanation.

Old December 9th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Hooked

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...

With all the tools he had available behind the counter, he reached for
these hemostats. I tried it, and liked it.

Scott

Let me guess...

They weren't made in Pakistan.

Old December 9th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Hooked

"daytripper" wrote in message

[...]

Of course, there have been studies done that would suggest that playing a
fish to exhaustion, and then releasing said fish, could be more detrimental
to the fish than just playing bubba and hauling that fish in like using a
baitcaster and 30# line.

Let's face it. When going barbless, we all go a little easier when playing a
fish so it doesn't come unglued from the hook. If we had a barb and cared
less about it, we just muscle the fish in.

It's the thought of playing that fish too much that worries some.

Old December 9th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Tim J.

"Hooked" wrote in message
[...]

I find it just the opposite. Barbless hooks require constant pressure to stay
set, so I fight the fish a little stronger and retrieve a little faster. Some
slack on a barbed hook doesn't really matter once it's set, but a barbless will
be shaken off really quickly. Playing a fish to exhaustion is usually the result
of poor tippet size selection.
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 9th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Lat705

Forget the fish. Barbless hooks are easier to get out of ME.
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Nicholas Kingston

or overall tackle thats too light (rod, line etc) of which tippet and
associated hook size is the symptom

Old December 9th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Tim J.

"Lat705" wrote...
Forget the fish. Barbless hooks are easier to get out of ME.

Good point. I once fished all day with a guy that got a barbed hook stuck in his
forearm early in the day. He was pretty grumpy (and that was BEFORE the hook
incident.) Names have been omitted to protect ME.
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 10th, 2003, 01:40 AM
daytripper

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:54:45 GMT, "Tim J."
wrote:

"Lat705" wrote...
Forget the fish. Barbless hooks are easier to get out of ME.

Good point. I once fished all day with a guy that got a barbed hook stuck in his
forearm early in the day. He was pretty grumpy (and that was BEFORE the hook
incident.) Names have been omitted to protect ME.

Before I switched to barbless flies I'd been stuck enough times you'd think
I'd have switched sooner. Especially the episode with the 2/0 stainless popper
stuck between my shoulder blades...

I had missed the reference to the put'n'take operation in the OP's post. It
certainly colors cough the original posit...

/daytripper