mustad 34007

Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
rw

Default mustad 34007

slenon wrote:

I'll look around on line and see what I can find, thanks for the steer.

bon appétit :-)

Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:19 PM
Willi

slenon wrote:

Hooked:

Every Tiemco hook I've bought, was by far sharper than any Mustad hook. Buy
a pack and compare for yourself. You'll be surprised at what you've been
missing.

I'm sure that your post is based upon careful observation. I have noted
that Tiemco hooks appear to be sharper, too. However, I can afford to tie
more flies if I buy Mustad hooks and sharpen them than if I buy Tiemco or
the other Japanese lines.

I've had no bad experience with Mustad but have had a several Japanese hooks
break in use. That, combined with their higher cost per hook keeps me
firmly in the Mustad camp despite their limitations.

To each their own on that. When you look at the price per fly difference
and you compare that to all the other expenses incurred in a fishing
trip (not even considering how prescious time off is for most people),
that difference is pretty meaningless. Especially when nymphing or when
fishing smaller dries, I'm convinced that the sharper Japanese hooks do
result in more fish on the line. If you do some searching on the Web,
you can find chemically sharpenned hooks for the same price or even less
than the traditional Mustads. These cheaper hooks are not QUITE as good
as Tiemco etc., but IMO they are better than the traditional Mustads.
IMO, the "higher" lines of Mustads are every bit as good as any of the
Japanese hooks. However, they are just as expensive.

Willi

Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:33 PM
slenon

If you do some searching on the Web,
you can find chemically sharpenned hooks for the same price or even less
than the traditional Mustads. These cheaper hooks are not QUITE as good
as Tiemco etc., but IMO they are better than the traditional Mustads.
IMO, the "higher" lines of Mustads are every bit as good as any of the
Japanese hooks. However, they are just as expensive.
Willi

I'll look around on line and see what I can find, thanks for the steer.

Since time off is regrettably not a problem, and since travel to sal****er
flats, at least, is measured in minutes, cost per hook becomes somewhat more
of a factor than for those who must allocate time, trouble, and travel to
fish the flats.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Dark Star

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:35 PM
slenon

Hooked:
For my money, I prefer the Tiemco's over Mustad because I know a
Tiemco will be sharp and I can't see well enough to sharpen every Mustad I
take out of the package.

That can be a determinant. Even with contacts I've reading glasses in
various strengths in several locations.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Willi

slenon wrote:

If you do some searching on the Web,
you can find chemically sharpenned hooks for the same price or even less
than the traditional Mustads. These cheaper hooks are not QUITE as good
as Tiemco etc., but IMO they are better than the traditional Mustads.
IMO, the "higher" lines of Mustads are every bit as good as any of the
Japanese hooks. However, they are just as expensive.
Willi

I'll look around on line and see what I can find, thanks for the steer.

Since time off is regrettably not a problem, and since travel to sal****er
flats, at least, is measured in minutes, cost per hook becomes somewhat more
of a factor than for those who must allocate time, trouble, and travel to
fish the flats.

From what Sierra fisher said about not being able to chemically sharpen
stainless hooks, I don't know if the Japanese hooks would be any better
than the standard Mustads for salt water.

Willi

Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:11 PM
slenon

From what Sierra fisher said about not being able to chemically sharpen
stainless hooks, I don't know if the Japanese hooks would be any better
than the standard Mustads for salt water.
Willi

I've got a few 911 S's and some other Japanese hooks that someone gave me.
I'll tie some comparison flies and see how they hold up.

Old May 24th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Steve Sullivan

In article ,
"slenon" wrote:

Hooked:
Every Tiemco hook I've bought, was by far sharper than any Mustad hook. Buy
a pack and compare for yourself. You'll be surprised at what you've been
missing.

I'm sure that your post is based upon careful observation. I have noted
that Tiemco hooks appear to be sharper, too. However, I can afford to tie
more flies if I buy Mustad hooks and sharpen them than if I buy Tiemco or
the other Japanese lines.

I've had no bad experience with Mustad but have had a several Japanese hooks
break in use. That, combined with their higher cost per hook keeps me
firmly in the Mustad camp despite their limitations.

Have you ever tried canadian llama hooks? They are about $4 per 100 and
I find little difference between them and tiemco.
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Mike Connor

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
I know just enough about hooks to be dangerous. However I also "know"

some

Chemical sharpening is done by dipping the hooks in an acid bath.

Stainless steel is difficult to sharpen, ( very difficult to chemically
sharpen, as many stainless steels are of course acid resistant), and,
depending on the steel used ( which of course is an alloy), will also not
take or hold an edge easily. There are also other problems in tempering
stainless steels.

When re-sharpening hooks, it is immaterial how they were originally
sharpened. This has no effect on the edge they can take.

Lastly, the chemical sharpening is usually the last process, the hooks are
of course ground sharp beforehand.

TL
MC

Old May 24th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Mu Young Lee

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Willi wrote:

From what Sierra fisher said about not being able to chemically sharpen
stainless hooks, I don't know if the Japanese hooks would be any better
than the standard Mustads for salt water.

I like Dai-Ichi x-points for sal****er although they are quite pricey.
Mustad signature line are good but not as good. The difference between
the premium and *regular* hooks for sal****er use is that the wire
thickness is finer and penetrates more easily.

Mu
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:47 PM
slenon

Steve Sullivan:
Have you ever tried canadian llama hooks? They are about $4 per 100 and
I find little difference between them and tiemco.

Haven't tried them. Got a source or two?