Hair Wings

Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:38 PM
Willi

Default Hair Wings

I'm trying to tie up some small patterns with calf tail wings. I'm
having trouble getting the wings dense enough on the small flies. I
tried hand stacking and using a stacker. This works fine for larger
flies but not for the little ones. Any suggestions?

Willi

Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:50 PM
Tom Littleton

Willi asks:
I'm trying to tie up some small patterns with calf tail wings. I'm
having trouble getting the wings dense enough on the small flies. I
tried hand stacking and using a stacker. This works fine for larger
flies but not for the little ones. Any suggestions?

Calf body, it is straighter, thus stacks more densely. Plus, you can find lots
of shorter hair for those little hairwings.
Tom
p.s. hard to find body hair in other than
black,white or brown. Other colors will
have to be home-dyed.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:53 PM
Stephen Welsh

Willi wrote in news:40afba34$0$208$75868355
@news.frii.net:

I'm trying to tie up some small patterns with calf tail wings. I'm
having trouble getting the wings dense enough on the small flies. I
tried hand stacking and using a stacker. This works fine for larger
flies but not for the little ones. Any suggestions?

Willi

Have you tried calf body hair? That packs more densely than the tail hair
because of the straight fibres.

Steve (...and there's always the wabbit ... ;-)
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:47 AM
vincent p. norris

I'm trying to tie up some small patterns with calf tail wings. I'm
having trouble getting the wings dense enough on the small flies......
Willi

Willi, permit me to suggest a sacriligious solution., Go to Walmart,
and buy some "Needloft Plastic Canvas Yarn." White or cream or yellow,
or any other color you like.

Separate the two strands. Use one strand (for about a size 14), less
for smaller flies. Comb it out,and place it crosswise under the hook
shank, and pull both ends straight up--forming a letter U around the
hook shank. .

Tie it in place with thread. Do the figure-eight if you wish.

Easy wings. No bulk, will never come loose.

vince
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:23 AM
Hooked

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message

Willi, permit me to suggest a sacriligious solution., Go to Walmart,
and buy some "Needloft Plastic Canvas Yarn." White or cream or yellow,
or any other color you like.

Separate the two strands. Use one strand (for about a size 14), less
for smaller flies. Comb it out,and place it crosswise under the hook
shank, and pull both ends straight up--forming a letter U around the
hook shank. .

Tie it in place with thread. Do the figure-eight if you wish.

Easy wings. No bulk, will never come loose.

This could also be done with the poly yarn sold in fly shops. For a much
higher price of course.

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:24 AM
vincent p. norris

Willi, permit me to suggest a sacriligious solution., Go to Walmart,
and buy some "Needloft Plastic Canvas Yarn." White or cream or yellow,
or any other color you like.

This could also be done with the poly yarn sold in fly shops. For a much
higher price of course.

I like the Needloft yarn because it is stiffer. Ideal for wings and
posts.

vince