Big Poppers

Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:24 PM
Steve N

Default Big Poppers

For Largemouth Bass, How large should they be tied, I am use to to
tying Big Sky Spring Creek trout flys and now that I moved to Florida
and it is culture shock to tie such a big fly. I am currently
catching some 3 lbs on 1/2 inch wide cork and 3 inches in length. but
would like to entice to bigger bass. How big is too big? Anyone have
some big pattern guidance.

Steve
Sebring. FL
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:28 AM
Hooked

"Steve N" wrote in message
om...
For Largemouth Bass, How large should they be tied, I am use to to
tying Big Sky Spring Creek trout flys and now that I moved to Florida
and it is culture shock to tie such a big fly. I am currently
catching some 3 lbs on 1/2 inch wide cork and 3 inches in length. but
would like to entice to bigger bass. How big is too big? Anyone have
some big pattern guidance.

It would all depend on what size rod you own. You got a 13wt?

Visit the sal****er guys. Some of the poppers for billfish would probably
work for Largemouths.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:12 AM
Steve N

I guess I should better clarify that it doesnt sound like I'm chucking
a brick, thats a 1/2 inch cork (cut in half) and 3 inches long from
face to the end of the hackle tips. I am using an 8Wt.

Steve
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:30 AM
Hooked

"Steve N" wrote in message
om...
I guess I should better clarify that it doesnt sound like I'm chucking
a brick, thats a 1/2 inch cork (cut in half) and 3 inches long from
face to the end of the hackle tips. I am using an 8Wt.

A bass has a big mouth. (Wonder where they get their name from?) Anyway, as
long as you can cast it, it will probably catch bass. I use a 9wt. for my
popper fishing. I have deer hair poppers as big as you describe. I have foam
poppers that are about 6 inches in length when including the rear hackle
legs. If you can cast a 4/0 popper, it will catch bass. You probably won't
catch the 3 pounders you mentioned, but it will catch big bass. Check out
some of these links for poppers. Almost all of them will catch bass.

http://www.sal****erflies.com/bobsbanger.html
http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/swpop-2.htm
http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/swpop-3.htm
http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/swpop-3.htm#5