Eyesight

Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:57 PM
Ray

Default Eyesight

I have recently returned to fly tying but tempus fugit has made life
significantly more difficult even with glasses, I have tried using a
small flexible magnifying glass in front but have not found that very
satisfactory, suggestions please??
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:05 PM
Dave LaCourse

Ray writes:

I have recently returned to fly tying but tempus fugit has made life
significantly more difficult even with glasses, I have tried using a
small flexible magnifying glass in front but have not found that very
satisfactory, suggestions please??

Do a google on "mag eyes" and "optivisor". Either one works very well.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old May 24th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Tim J.

"Ray" wrote in message
I have recently returned to fly tying but tempus fugit has made life
significantly more difficult even with glasses, I have tried using a
small flexible magnifying glass in front but have not found that very
satisfactory, suggestions please??

I picked up a magnifying visor from Orvis' sale room last year and really like
it.
--
TL,
Tim

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:28 AM
vincent p. norris

Having a really bright light makes a big difference in how well you
can see detail.

vince
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Bill P

Light is certainly a big help and 4 diopeter magnification glasses were a
big plus, too... AND a black, gray, or white card BEHIND the flies I'm tying
help with contrast and my abilitiy to see them better....
Bill P. Phx, Az

Old May 24th, 2004, 07:35 AM
bassrecord

Ray,
I use 2.5 power "Flip Focus" that are screwed to my hat. This works both
for fly tying at the bench and for fly tying on the water. They seem to
last 3-5 years before needing replacing.

Good luck
John

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:45 PM
slenon

I use varying powers of reading glasses,depending upon the size of the fly
and the nature of the work. I also tie with a light blue cardboard
background behind the fly.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Dark Star

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:14 PM
JR

Ray wrote:

I have recently returned to fly tying but tempus fugit has made life
significantly more difficult even with glasses, I have tried using a
small flexible magnifying glass in front but have not found that very
satisfactory, suggestions please??

I have found these magnifying glasses from Orvis, plus good strong
light, to be just the ticket. I've got the 4X model but expect sooner
or later to need the 5X.

http://tinyurl.com/2hlz9

JR
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Mark W. Oots

"Ray" wrote in message
I have recently returned to fly tying but tempus fugit has made life
significantly more difficult even with glasses, I have tried using a
small flexible magnifying glass in front but have not found that very
satisfactory, suggestions please??

Two words...Luxo Lamp....I actually use a cheap imitation I got at Wally
World for about 40 bucks. For small flies, I just look through the
magnifier, while wearing my glasses. It's got a decent light that I can use
even when I'm not using the magnifier. The lamp can tend to get in the way
at times, but I found that I can swing it away, manipulate the materials,
and then swing it back to check my work. It's not a big deal to me, as I got
used to it when I was doing PC board inspections (before I wore bifocals).

Mark

---

Old May 24th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Larry L

getting an OTT-Lite is the best advice I've gotten on this board ... I got
one to try, myself, and my family of three now has ...three