How long do Yamamotos last outside bag?

Old May 25th, 2009, 02:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mark G7#9

Default How long do Yamamotos last outside bag?

Just wondering if soft scented worms lose much of their scent once
outside the plastic bag.
Is there a way to "refresh" them with some sort of microwave trick? My
box is always full of worms that are in good shape but I just can't
tell if they are no longer smelly enough for the fish.

Thanks
Mark
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
What me worry?

On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:20:26 -0700 (PDT), "Mark G7#9"
backed into a tree whilst ridin inna park then
wrote:

Just wondering if soft scented worms lose much of their scent once
outside the plastic bag.
Is there a way to "refresh" them with some sort of microwave trick? My
box is always full of worms that are in good shape but I just can't
tell if they are no longer smelly enough for the fish.

Thanks
Mark

Use em and if you don't catch anything put a new one on. I have found
Power worms tend to lose scent when left out of the bag. Yamamoto or
the look alike's that I have used do not have scent.

Dan
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Mark G7#9" wrote in message
Just wondering if soft scented worms lose much of their scent once
outside the plastic bag.
Is there a way to "refresh" them with some sort of microwave trick? My
box is always full of worms that are in good shape but I just can't
tell if they are no longer smelly enough for the fish.

Thanks
Mark

Mark, whatever you do, DON'T put them in the microwave! Well, of course if
you want to melt them into a nice and mushy puddle of goo, then go ahead and
microwave them....

If scent is important to you, then simply buy some liquid scent and put a
couple drops in the bag with the lures, close the bag and squish them around
to work the scent onto the lures.

Scent, in my estimation is way down on the list of triggers for a fish to
strike and way too much emphasis is placed on it. Most of the soft plastics
I fish are unscented and I catch fish quite nicely with them.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

From: (Mark*G7#9)

Just wondering if soft scented worms lose much of their scent once
outside the plastic bag.
Is there a way to "refresh" them with some sort of microwave trick? My
box is always full of worms that are in good shape but I just can't tell
if they are no longer smelly enough for the fish.
Thanks
Mark

========

Mark, I think it depends on how dedicated to "perfection" someone is.
Tournament fishermen probably blow through more baits in a couple days
than I would in weeks of fishing. I fish a lot from the bank, and like
to travel light. I sometimes just carry a pocket of worms around with
me...sometimes they even go through the washer and dryer. I use em until
they are falling apart. I personally believe in presentation over
"smell", but I have a buddy that I fish with that is just the opposite.
he carries a bottle of scent with him all the time, and changes out his
baits if they get a "nick" in them.....and he catches more fish than me.
Is he a better fisherman than me, or just more methodical? Probably
both!

I know there are several posters here that are really high on "scents",
so maybe they will chime in and give you some of their thoughts too.

As for me, I wear a worm out, scent or no scent....not that it's an
expense thing, I get em free, just that I don't carry a lot of em when I
go fishing.

John

Old May 25th, 2009, 05:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Mark G7#9 wrote:
Just wondering if soft scented worms lose much of their scent once
outside the plastic bag.
Is there a way to "refresh" them with some sort of microwave trick? My
box is always full of worms that are in good shape but I just can't
tell if they are no longer smelly enough for the fish.

Thanks
Mark

The fish couldn't care less whether they lose any supposed scent or not.
However, heavy salt content baits like Yamamotos shouldn't be allowed to
get wet in storage, because it will dissolve some of the salt from them.
That makes them lighter when they dry out, and a lot of their action on
the sink is related to how heavy they are.

Old May 26th, 2009, 12:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Mark G7#9" wrote in message
Just wondering if soft scented worms lose much of their scent once
outside the plastic bag.
Is there a way to "refresh" them with some sort of microwave trick? My
box is always full of worms that are in good shape but I just can't
tell if they are no longer smelly enough for the fish.

I'm guessing indefinitely. Some baits like Venom's Sweet Dreams that have a
scent on them already may start to have the scent fade if they are out of
the bag after a while, but if you like the scent on your baits just rub a
tiny dab of MegaStrike on your baits and you are good to go again.

As to the guys who ponder, "To scent or not to scent?" I can't answer all
the dumb stuff, but I've got pretty good anecdotal evidence on multiple
occassions that the fish hold onto the bait longer even if I don't get
anymore bites. Stiatistical evidence? Nope. Too busy fishing to try and
put together a good study.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old May 26th, 2009, 03:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BIG FISH 2006

Mark,
the idea of scent is always a plus, one of the first things I
learned as a young angler was the S.S.S formula, sight, sound and smell.
I try to keep all three of them in my favor.
Biig Fish

Old May 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mark G7#9

On May 25, 10:46*pm, (BIG FISH 2006) wrote:
Mark,
* * * * *the idea of scent is always a plus, one of the first things I
learned as a young angler was the S.S.S formula, sight, sound and smell.
I try to keep all three of them in my favor.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *Biig Fish

Thanks all for good info. I pretty much stick to Yamos and Yum large
worms at our lake. If I have no hits, I'll take a new one out of the
bag and (seemingly) often get a nice fish. This is why I was asking
about the longevity. BUT, my kid, will use the oldest worm in the box
that looks like it went through a shredder and get the biggest fish
EVERY time.