Looking for advice

Old March 13th, 2005, 11:48 PM

Default Looking for advice

My kids are finally old enough and are showing an interest in fishing.
We have a bunch of canoe only lakes around and the fox and illinois
river are accessible. What type of canoe would people recommend? It
has to be lite enough to allow me to go out by myself. It will also see
duty with possibly 3 guys 200lbs-230lbs (if we fit), 2 adults and 2
kids {the kids are under 8 years old). I would have to value
stability, do not want to be dunkin the kids. At some point in the
future will probably opt to get an electronic trolling motor. Well
what do you use or recommend?

Old March 14th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Charles B. Summers

A jon boat would be the most stabile and especially with kids under 8. I
wouldn't dare put my son in a canoe if I thought we were doing anything
besides sitting still and paddleing.

ups.com...

Old March 14th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Joe Haubenreich

On 2005-03-13 17:48:11 -0600, said:

snip
what do you use or recommend?

Jon boats are pretty stable, all right. But they're not nearly as much
fun as a canoe. You can probably buy one of a composite material that
is light-weight enough for your kids to lift. But let me suggest an
alternative....

An aluminum, 17-ft. Grumman lake canoe (with a keel and a wide, flat
bottom for stability) should meet your needs nicely. You could get a
square-stern model and attach the trolling motor, or just paddle the
thing. The square-stern models may have less flotation. One grown man
can easily pick it up and portage it, but it helps to have two people
to lift it to a cartop carrier.

We had one when I grew up, from about the time I was 8 years old. It
could easily accomodate three full-grown adults. Many times there were
four adult-sized teenagers in the canoe, paddling down the Little
Tennessee or across Norris Lake.

All of us earned the canoeing merit badge in Scouts, but we spent much
more time paddling with family and friends. Go ahead and buy one...
teach your kids to use it safely, to paddle it quietly and expertly,
and then how to handle it and climb back in safely in case it capsizes.
Two strong teenagers, even without PFD's, can roll the canoe upside
down to empty it, swim underneath, lift one side to break the surface
tension, and then heave it in the air with a powerful scissors kick so
that it lands upright and empty.

We held races (in-and-out canoe races) where on signal, the paddlers
jumped overboard, swam to the opposite end, climbed in over the
gunwales, and paddled on... repeating the process about twenty times
over the course of a mile.

If your kids are like the guys I grew up with, or like my brothers,
sister, and I, they'll enjoy a canoe much more than a jon boat. That's
still what I use for canoing down rivers in middle Tennessee today.
Although its red paint is faded, it's still as good as when we bought
it fourty-three years ago.

Joe
-------------------------
secretweaponlures.com
Secret Weapon Lures... first true
spinnerbait design innovation in 50 years!
--------------------------------------------------= 0"))))

Old March 14th, 2005, 04:35 AM
AirMan

3 guys @230lbs plus kids?
You'd need a barge for that load!
ups.com...

Old March 14th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Bob La Londe

Different canoes for different jobs. A big heavy wide beam for the lakes.
Something narrower and lighter for the rivers. My uncle and I had a blast
many years ago with a refinished wood/glass Oldtown that we strip,
reglassed, and blue printed. Yes, that right. After we were down we fine
finished the hull with fill and removal of material to get a perfect hull.
Without much effort we had the fastest canoe on some of the popular canoeing
rivers, but it was narrower than I would want to use anyplace where wind can
makes some waves.

I have a Sears wide beam now that my Dad gave me. 16' square back (profile
of an 18'+ canoe) that does ok on lakes, but its way to cumbersome for any
kind of semi serious river running. Even then I managed to dump myself out
of it once.

One thing to bear in mind is how much real world help the kids will be in
handling the canoe. Mine like to paddle, but they don't really do anything.
When using paddles I pretty much plan on having to correct for whatever they
are doing, and control the canoe. Of course on long straight runs I let
them both paddle to their hearts content while I sit in t he back and use my
paddle as a rudder.

I'ld personally be more inclined to look for a nice stable row boat or jon
boat if allowed at all or a drift boat for the rivers.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

ups.com...

Old March 14th, 2005, 05:18 PM

I have used both canoes and Jonboats and for still water bass fishing
with a passenger, the Jonboat wins hands-down.

Canoes are tippy !! Don't ask me how I know that.

Old March 14th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Sportinus

Most of the preserve lakes around my home claim canoe only, that is why
I was leaning that way. Thanks for all the info.

Old March 15th, 2005, 11:31 AM
alwaysfishking

I know how you know that, just don't ask me how I know that

oups.com...