Single Malts

Old September 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Single Malts

On Sep 21, 12:14*pm, George Cleveland
wrote:

So my question to the ROFFians here is what else is there that is
tasty and less than $50/bottle? Anyone have a favorite? Does this make
me another elite, snobbish, flyfishing poseur, the kind I used to pity
and mock? And how should I feel about that?

Geo. C. *

Plenty have gone before me, Geo. but there are a LOT of whiskys for
less than $50 a bottle. I'd suggest, without becoming too elitist or
snobbish, just cruise your local duty free next time you fly, and take
a chance. Some of my favorite bottles, before I got inexorably and
inevitably tangled up in name recognition and Jackson's Whisky Book
ratings, were products of unknown little mock distilleries.

It might be easier to ask what is worth avoiding rather than what's
worth targeting...the list is considerably shorter. As a whisky
beginner, I'd avoid any of the peatier Islays (BTW, if your talking to
the seller, its pronounced "EYE-luh", not "eye-LAY"). That includes
some well-bantered brands such as Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bowmore,
Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain and Coal Ila. These are excellent brands,
but unless your palate is ready for the salt and peat, they might have
too much character for you. Of course, I could be entirely wrong...try
a few drams and see if they appeal to you. My own palate wanders
around fiercely, but if I were to have only one bottle on the shelf,
it would not be an Islay.

My suggestion: start with a least-pricey Speyside or Highland. These
tend to be more 'feathery' and easier to drink, especially when cut
with cold water (the distillers suggest 1:1, although that seems to be
a bit watered down for me: I tend to cut it to 1 part water to 3 parts
whisky.

Again, the only criteria...beyond price, beyond name recognition, and
beyond snob factor....is if you like it. And if you find yourself
acquiring several bottles of under-$50 whisky that you picked up and
really were not enamored with, then consider that you are merely
stocking your cabinet for a later time when your tastes change.

YMMV, of course.

--riverman
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 05:22:31 -0700 (PDT), riverman wrote:

On Sep 26, 10:05*pm, wrote:

In the 10-15 year pairings I am partial to the following in order -
Highland Park 12,

I'm surprised no one picked up on this... :-)

Um, well, for one thing, I didn't write any such thing for anyone to "pick
up"...

HTH,

--riverman

Old September 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Sep 26, 10:05*pm, wrote:

In the 10-15 year pairings I am partial to the following in order -
Highland Park 12,

I'm surprised no one picked up on this... :-)

Um, well, for one thing, I didn't write any such thing for anyone to "pick
up"...

HTH,

--riverman

Yeah, chalk that up to lazy editing. My bad...it wasn't you who said
that. You were just unlucky enough to be on the first line of the
source tags.

Still, you missed an easy one. :-)

--riverman
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

wrote:

[...]

I've heard that a boy can get some pretty good fares from Tomah to
Black River Falls these days.

g.
course, that's prolly just hearsay.
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Nogood Boyo[_2_]

On 26 Sep, 04:30, wrote:
On Sep 21, 12:14*am, George Cleveland
wrote:

So my question to the ROFFians here is what else is there that is
tasty and less than $50/bottle? Anyone have a favorite?

The Knappogue Castle is an Irish Single Malt WhiskEy while Laphroaig
is a Single Malt Scotch Whisky (no "e"). There are distinct
differences between the two other than the insertion of the vowel
before the "y".

The malts of Scotland are distilled in different areas of the country
and have distinct characteristics.

In case you haven't heard, there's now a Welsh whisky, a single malt
called Penderyn, to go with the Scotch and the Irish. Details at
www.welsh-whisky.co.uk. No "e". Described as "dangerously
smooth"... Limited supply, so probably more than $50 a bottle. It's
about £30 in the UK.
--
Nogood Boyo
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sep 28, 7:11*pm, Nogood Boyo wrote:

In case you haven't heard, there's now a Welsh whisky, a single malt
called Penderyn, to go with the Scotch and the Irish. *Details atwww.welsh-whisky.co.uk. *No "e". *Described as "dangerously
smooth"... *Limited supply, so probably more than $50 a bottle. *It's
about £30 in the UK.

79.99 at Sam's Wine and Spirits in Chicago (no relation to Sam's Club)

Old September 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:25:37 -0600, rw wrote:

wrote:
On Sep 28, 7:11 pm, Nogood Boyo wrote:

In case you haven't heard, there's now a Welsh whisky, a single malt
called Penderyn, to go with the Scotch and the Irish. Details atwww.welsh-whisky.co.uk. No "e". Described as "dangerously
smooth"... Limited supply, so probably more than $50 a bottle. It's
about £30 in the UK.

79.99 at Sam's Wine and Spirits in Chicago (no relation to Sam's Club)

Hmmm. £30 should be about $48 (@ 1 GBP = $1.59 USD). Sam's Wine and
Spirits in Chicago, and maybe Uncle Sam or the State of Illinois or the
city of Chicago, are taking a nice 67% cut off retail in the UK.

THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!! Especially after the good folks at FedEx shipped it over to
Chicago for free, the payment methods involved were gracious enough to exchange
with commission, the local distributor waived their commission, etc., etc., etc.

HTH,
....OTOH, it's probably yet another crooked Illernoise pol trying to raise cash
to buy a Senate seat or something...
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Nogood Boyo[_2_]

On 29 Sep, 04:25, rw wrote:
wrote:
On Sep 28, 7:11 pm, Nogood Boyo wrote:

In case you haven't heard, there's now a Welsh whisky, a single malt
called Penderyn, to go with the Scotch and the Irish. *Details atwww.welsh-whisky.co.uk. *No "e". *Described as "dangerously
smooth"... *Limited supply, so probably more than $50 a bottle. *It's
about £30 in the UK.

79.99 at Sam's Wine and Spirits in Chicago (no relation to Sam's Club)

Hmmm. £30 should be about $48 (@ 1 GBP = $1.59 USD). *Sam's Wine and
Spirits in Chicago, and maybe Uncle Sam or the State of Illinois or the
city of Chicago, are taking a nice 67% cut off retail in the UK.

I should have mentioned that £30 retail in the UK includes excise duty
and sales tax (VAT), which wouldn't apply to exports. The UK retail
price excluding duty and VAT would be about £20. Cheap whisky in the
UK is about £10, inc duty and taxes (70cl).
--
Nogood Boyo