Didn't go bass fishing...

Old October 4th, 2010, 01:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

Default Didn't go bass fishing...

Well, I had planned on going quail hunting with my son yesterday, but he
baled on me. He decided to sleep in and play video games. I decided to try
and target some flathead catfish.

Of course I had to get ready and I had to catch some bait. I finished some
tiny twister molds last week so I spent the morning shooting some in smoke
sparkle and some in watermelon.

On the way out to my little backwater launch a huge covey of quail decided
to toodle down the road in front of the truck refusing to move or speed up.
The definitely were not truck shy.

Hit the water armed with a whole box of them and a light rod spooled with
6lb flouro to catch bait. The sunfish (bait) mostly hit the smoke sparkle,
and the bass just loved the itty bitty watermelon twister. At 3:30 in the
afternoon I had only caught five sunfish to use for bait, but I caught about
20 bass from 4" to 2 lbs.

So I didn't go quail hunting, and I saw a huge covey of quail that were shy
yet. I didn't go bass fishing and I caught about 20 bass.

I did also catch five flatheads from 2-6 pounds. They hit quick and hooked
up easy. I wish I had been able to catch more bait. I spent maybe 45
minutes total cat fishing before I ran out of bait. LOL. The first three
were in the boat within about five minutes from the first cast.

I did do a little actual bass fishing at the end of the day as I idled up
the channel back to the ramp. I threw a buzzbait out in front of the boat,
but never had a rise.