Peacock herl

Old March 30th, 2011, 11:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default Peacock herl

I get impatient waiting for things I need to arrive. I had a
brain-storm last night (I know, I know.... for my detractors that means
a very mild wind).

Harry Mason's Proven Killer Caddis

http://www.troutflies.com/category/Gen_Cadd_Dries.html

is one of the most productive dry flies I have ever used. I want to
start tying my own with different variations in colors. Arising at
0530 this morning, I took the dog for a walk in the misty clouds while
thinking about that fly and the peacock herl. Then it struck me: a
CDC rope instead. To hell with the peacock herl, I have plenty of CDC
rope.

Returning home, I rushed upstairs to my fly tying desk and tied two
size 16 caddis flies using Raineys extended body and a tan cdc rope
(same color as the cdc wings) along each side and around the hook below
the extended body. I used peacock herl tied in before and under the
wings.

Packing up my two flies and the rest of my gear, I headed out to the
Batesville Diner ("Best Biscuits in Batesville") for a superduper
breakfast before hitting a local creek. Surprise! The flies worked.
I only fished for an hour because it was wet and in the 40s (more of a
steelhead morning than a small stocked rainbow morning), and Joanne had
my day planned already. At the end of that hour I was shivering but
smiling. The fly sits well in the water thanks to the added CDC and
does exceptionally well in riffles and fast water. I can hardly wait
to try it on the Rapid in 7 weeks or so.

Sorry, Harry. However, I still intend to buy several dozen of 16s and
18s each year from you. They make wonderful gifts to share with other
anglers, as I tell them about Troutflies.com. It is THE fly to have on
the Rapid.

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mar 30, 4:41*pm, D. LaCourse wrote:
I get impatient waiting for things I need to arrive. *I had a
brain-storm last night (I know, I know.... for my detractors that means
a very mild wind).

Harry Mason's Proven Killer Caddis

http://www.troutflies.com/category/Gen_Cadd_Dries.html

is one of the most productive dry flies I have ever used. *

For $1 each that has to be one of the best fly deals ever.

Old March 31st, 2011, 03:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-03-30 20:10:14 -0400, " said:

On Mar 30, 4:41*pm, D. LaCourse wrote:
I get impatient waiting for things I need to arrive. *I had a
brain-storm last night (I know, I know.... for my detractors that means
a very mild wind).

Harry Mason's Proven Killer Caddis

http://www.troutflies.com/category/Gen_Cadd_Dries.html

is one of the most productive dry flies I have ever used. *

For $1 each that has to be one of the best fly deals ever.

Yeah, for the Elk Hair Caddis. Scroll down one fly to the Killer
Caddis. A buck ninety, but worth it.

How goes the bones? Waiting anxiously for Jeff's report and yours.