Imagine if you will..

Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

Default Imagine if you will..

(and yes, you have to read this in the voice of Rod Serling)
Waters as verdant as Penns but 5 times the size. Filled with monster,
world-record class brown trout, lurking, lurking.
These trout have gone beyond the insect eating stage. They are
predators, only caught on huge streamers.... streamers that require
you to fling an 8 weight full sink line for 10 and 12 hours.
10, 15, 20... 40 pounds? Monster fish. Predators, living on an
exclusive diet of small fish... except... that once every 13 years an
event occurs of such epic proportions that it rocks these fish out of
their dietary rut. It is time for the Brood XIX 13-year Cicada
Emergence.
The fish go after these things like a doper with the munchies hittin'
the Cap'n Crunch and milk. Bug nugget crack for our piscine friends.
Surface action that is talked about for ages. It is that time.
Brood XIX (http://www.magicicada.org/about/broo...s/broodXIX.php)
is the biggest emergence by total territory covered. And ground zero
for this emergence? The storied tailwaters of the White and Norfolk
rivers in Northern Arkansas.
I missed the cicadas on Penns. I had folks callinng me at mid-week
saying they were stopping fishing and going home because they were
tired. It was too easy. I did, however, hit the hatch on the Savage
in Maryland. This tailwater went from "its the closest real stream to
me, sometimes it produces, sometimes not" to "THIS IS INCREDIBLE!!!"
Book your trips now.
Frank Reid