A fish at any cost

Old March 16th, 2010, 11:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

Default A fish at any cost

Went to my local fly shop today to get a line put on my 5 weight reel.
Asked the fellow behind the desk while the other guy was putting on my
line what the local trout have been hitting. He cryptically said "egg
patterns." Egg patterns? Huh. What fish spawn this time of the year
in these streams? Suckers? To early. What? Nothing spawns in these
waters this time of the year.

Hmmm. No spawn and yet the fish are hitting egg patterns? Sounds fishy to me.

This afternoon Joanne and I were out shopping and stopped by this one
place. I noticed fish pellet machines - plop in a quarter and you get
a handfull of fish food to throw at the fish. They love it (both the
tourists and the fish). Hmmmmm. The pellets look like.......... wait
for it................ egg patterns.

Well, duh! Match the hatch, eh? Chances are they are hatchery fish to
boot. I guess the tourist fly fishermen must be appeased.

Old March 17th, 2010, 12:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Mar 16, 3:31*pm, David LaCourse wrote:
..

Well, duh! *Match the hatch, eh? *Chances are they are hatchery fish to
boot. *I guess the tourist fly fishermen must be appeased.

Dave

One thing I've noticed about myself as I've made a journey towards
'knowledgeable angler' is that at many stages I felt I'd
arrived ...... only to look back later with a bit of a blush at my
foolishness thinking so.

I can remember, 40 years ago being given some wet flies at a shop and
going back feeling I'd been ripped off because they wouldn't
floatG The clerk was remarkably kind as he explained how to fish
them. ( bet they had a laugh after I left ;-)

I ran into an earnest young man on the Madison one evening. I
caught a lot of fish, he waved his stick a lot and keep trying to get
closer and closer to me ( I guess he felt I had 'the spot' ).
Eventually, as he got too damn close and was casting towards me so, I
pointed out, "there are lots of rising fish behind you, look in the
water you just walked through." As he looked and saw a few rises
you could see his frustration mount, since maybe there was more to
this than 'spot.'

He then asked what I was using. I replied, " A little Rusty
Spinner." He shot back, "OH! I don't use spinners, I'm a FLY
fisherman !! " g Someday he'll blush at the thought of that
moment, as will your egg pattern flyfishersorts, but they ain't doing
no real harm in the meantime.

Larry L ( Who used to be far less tolerant of others until he noticed
those blushing times in his own past )..... { Who, also, has given up
all hope of making it to 'knowledgeable' and is now aiming for 'not
too frickin' dumb" as an angling goal }

Old March 17th, 2010, 01:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

.

[...]

That's all well and good, Larry, but for a fly shop to endorse such
behavior goes beyond the pale. That is one of the problems with our
society today - no one takes responsibility, and if you can make a buck
of off someone's stupidity, have at it. I too have done some fooling
things fly fishing - who hasn't, but I did it *myself*, not helped by
"professionals".

Old March 17th, 2010, 10:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey[_2_]

"David LaCourse" wrote in message
[...]

Last year, the local club stocked the river with brown trout. Just after
the stocking, while walking my dog, I tossed a smallpiece of dog food about
the sice of a baked been into the river only to see it instantly snatched by
a stockie which was probably conditioned to be fed by being thrown pellets
at the fishery. I rose several fish by lobbing in the dog food pellets and
one of the local kids even tried tying a deer hair pattern to copy the food.

I don't suppose the fish you're talking about are stocked, but that could be
one reason.

Bill

Old March 17th, 2010, 10:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2010-03-17 17:15:31 -0400, "Bill Grey" said:

[...]

Bill, it wouldn't matter whether they were stocked or not. They have
been conditioned by the tourists throwing the fish food bought for a
quarter out of the vending machine.

A few years back I was fishing a pond near my home. It is heavily
stocked in the spring and lots of bait fisherman go there to collect
their limit and put food on the table. They weren't having very much
luck, while I was wacking them on every cast using a small pt nymph.
They asked for each fish I caught, but I threw them back. However, I
collected a handful of pepples on the beach and told them to cast their
bait into the pattern I would make when I threw the pebbles. Two of
them did, and caught a fish. When I left, they were looking for more
pepples to throw. Hey, food is food.

d;o)

Old March 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey[_2_]

On 2010-03-17 17:15:31 -0400, "Bill Grey" said:

[...]

Indeed Dave - that sound just about right.

Bill

Old March 18th, 2010, 04:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2010-03-17 17:15:31 -0400, "Bill Grey" said:

[...]

Noblesse oblige.

Hey, food is food.

Ya got that right, chum.

g.
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:09 PM
daarrelmills daarrelmills is offline
Junior Member

I know if your are a fish catcher and fishing is such a good felling that I can't explain. I really enjoying fishing whenever I am free I go for fishing. But I haven't try flying fishing. I will try it next.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:43 PM
markkhenry markkhenry is offline
Junior Member

That's all able-bodied and good, Larry, but for a fly boutique to endorse such behavior goes above the pale. That is one of the problems with our society today - no one takes responsibility, and if you can accomplish a buck of off someone's stupidity, accept at it.