Flooding

Old June 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

Default Flooding

Unfortunately, water may soon be a part of my commute. Just planning
paths to work due to the incipient flooding. My 8 mile/10 minute
drive to work will soon be a 56 mile/ 1 1/2 hour trip half way to
Lincoln. Been told by the Corps of Engineers that the bridges over
the Missouri and the Platte will be fine. Unfortunately, the approach
roads will be under 10+ feet of water. This will start by about the
15th and may last through August.
Council Bluffs is protected by a levee. It was designed for a quick
rise and then the water dropping. A one week event, not a 2 to 3
month event. Many of the levees around here will be overtopped. I-29
is already closed in places. The water is predicted to flood areas 2
to 3 miles away from the river.
Right now, the drainage pipes feeding into the rivers and feeders to
the Missouri are full. The water is over the top so the water feeding
off the streets is backing up. Additionally, the water treatment
plants are going under water. Raw sewage will be pouring directly
into the Missouri.
Sand bagging is beginning to be a weekend hobby for many people. I'm
seeing giant shipping containers stacked in pastures with the contents
of peoples houses and businesses.
Its gonna be a long Summer.

Frank Reid
Old June 5th, 2011, 02:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 6/5/2011 8:53 AM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
[...]

geezus, Frank, what a mess! Hasn't flooding on the Missouri been a
problem in a few recent years(although not impacting Omaha to this
degree)? I hope all the excess water clears out sooner than August
scenario. Take care.
Tom
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jun 5, 8:56*am, Tom Littleton wrote:
[...]

Well, the issue is that all of the dams are full and will be blasting
out at 150K cfs. There will be massive damage. The first levee just
gave way about a half an hour ago about 30 miles south of me. Water
is at about 90K cfs coming out of the dams which equates to about 110K
cfs at Omaha (tribs and the like feeding in). What scares me is that
the one that just breached is a federal levee. No Corps of Engineers
built and maintained levee gave way back in 1993. All the ones that
went back then were city, county and state levees.... not built to the
same standards as the VERY expensive Corps of Engineer levees.
They can release more water out of the dams if they need to, however,
the levees along the way will not survive.
Frank Reid