Felt Soles

Old June 8th, 2011, 03:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Guy[_2_]

Default Felt Soles

In The Beginning:
Thought a hundred bucks for any kind of rod was shocking ('60's)
Thought tying my own flies would save me big buck.
Thought building my own rods would save me $$
Thought hooks would always be 3 or 4 cents
Thought good hackle would always be plentiful
Thought alot of stuff
Thought my last pair of wading boots might be my last pair of wading
boots....
Anyhow...Has anyone had much experience with the new rubber soled
wading boots? Seems a lot of metal studs will be needed for traction
in place of felt soles. Any ideas such as a meshy sponge type of
synthetic that won't transport parasites (Not defined as felt)?

Thought wrong about alot of things.....but still pretty sure I'm the
best flyfisher since In The Beginning ;-)
Guy
Old June 8th, 2011, 01:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jun 7, 9:39*pm, Guy wrote:
In The Beginning:
Thought a hundred bucks for any kind of rod was shocking ('60's)
Thought tying my own flies would save me big buck.
Thought building my own rods would save me $$
Thought hooks would always be 3 or 4 cents
Thought good hackle would always be plentiful
Thought alot of stuff
Thought my last pair of wading boots might be my last pair of wading
boots....
Anyhow...Has anyone had much experience with the new rubber soled
wading boots? Seems a lot of metal studs will be needed for traction
in place of felt soles. Any ideas such as a meshy sponge type of
synthetic that won't transport parasites (Not defined as felt)?

Thought wrong about alot of things.....but still pretty sure I'm the
best flyfisher since In The Beginning ;-)
Guy

Got my first pair, Chotas. Unfortunately, the trip to the snot-
covered-bowling-ball based Penns Creek was abandoned in favor of the
beaches of Virginia. I can say for certain that the new Chota
feltless boots with studs will definately hold you in the sand. And
they are a very sexy accoutrement to your rubber pants when impressint
the young ladies in bikinis.
Frank Reid
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Guy wrote:
In The Beginning:
snip
Anyhow...Has anyone had much experience with the new rubber soled
wading boots? Seems a lot of metal studs will be needed for traction
in place of felt soles. Any ideas such as a meshy sponge type of
synthetic that won't transport parasites (Not defined as felt)? ...

I've worn the Chota RockLoc soles and the newer Dual Density ATX100
soles on their Caney Fork shoe. Neither one is worth a damn without
the studs.

So far as I know no one on roff, or anywhere else, has discovered a
suitable alternative to felt.

I'd certainly be interested to know if anyone ever does.

--
Slip slidin' away
Ken Fortenberry
Old June 9th, 2011, 01:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jun 8, 5:32*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Guy wrote:
In The Beginning:
snip
Anyhow...Has anyone had much experience with the new rubber soled
wading boots? Seems a lot of metal studs will be needed for traction
in place of felt soles. Any ideas such as a meshy sponge type of
synthetic that won't transport parasites (Not defined as felt)? ...

I've worn the Chota RockLoc soles and the newer Dual Density ATX100
soles on their Caney Fork shoe. Neither one is worth a damn without
the studs.

So far as I know no one on roff, or anywhere else, has discovered a
suitable alternative to felt.

I'd certainly be interested to know if anyone ever does.

--
Slip slidin' away
Ken Fortenberry

Mine are the Caney Fork.
Frank Reid
Old June 9th, 2011, 01:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Guy[_2_]

On Jun 8, 8:36*am, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
On Jun 7, 9:39*pm, Guy wrote:

[...]

Frank Reid- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Frank! Let me know when your travels bring you to Dallas. Found
a much better "Rib" place.
Old June 9th, 2011, 01:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Guy[_2_]

On Jun 8, 6:32*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Guy wrote:
In The Beginning:
snip
Anyhow...Has anyone had much experience with the new rubber soled
wading boots? Seems a lot of metal studs will be needed for traction
in place of felt soles. Any ideas such as a meshy sponge type of
synthetic that won't transport parasites (Not defined as felt)? ...

I've worn the Chota RockLoc soles and the newer Dual Density ATX100
soles on their Caney Fork shoe. Neither one is worth a damn without
the studs.

So far as I know no one on roff, or anywhere else, has discovered a
suitable alternative to felt.

I'd certainly be interested to know if anyone ever does.

--
Slip slidin' away
Ken Fortenberry

Thanks Ken. Sounds like studs are the answer. Hopefully someone will
come up with a good alternative.
Guy
Old June 9th, 2011, 01:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jun 7, 9:39*pm, Guy wrote:

[...]

Dallas? That's the place that had me "move along" 'cause I was using
the reflecting pool at Dealey Plaza as a casting pond. No sense of
humor.
Frank Reid
Old June 9th, 2011, 01:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Guy[_2_]

On Jun 7, 9:39*pm, Guy wrote:

[...]

At least you didn't get rolled by the local colour.
Old June 9th, 2011, 01:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jun 7, 9:39*pm, Guy wrote:

[...]

G- Hide quoted text -

Well, there was that bad plate of crab empanadas.
Frank Reid