Possible clave?

Old July 8th, 2011, 07:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default Possible clave?

I spent part of the 4th weekend at Lakewood and the Rapid River. This
is the 3rd year in a row I have been in camp over the July 4th holiday.
I am now convinced that fishing is usually good during early July. In
the past, I have always limited my fishing to May and the first three
weeks in June. However, this latest Juy trip was as good if not better
than some of my June trips.

To begin with, the alderfly (zebra caddis) hatch was in full bloom with
the insects all over the bushes and some falling into the water. A
dark cdc caddis, size 14 and 16, matched the hatch perfectly and was
responsible for a couple of 20 fish mornings, including big (15
inches) brookies and several 18+ inch salmon. On Tuesday I didn't even
bother to nymph because the caddis dry was working so well.

Tuesday evening after dinner, Whit (the owner of Lakewood) and I went
to Pond in the River and used a guide's drift boat and fished Second
Current for about an hour. About 8 pm the fish started to come up and
each cast brought a rise (if not a hook-up). Lots of small fish at
first, but then bigger brookies and salmon got into the action. We
took several nice fish and were having a good time until I (probably)
killed a fish by mistake; I couldn't see to take the hook out and by
the time I finally cut the leader, the fish (a nice salmon) couldn't be
revived. I let him go thinking he was ok, but he went belly up and
disappeared. Having that happen to a salmon is bad enough, but to
accidently kill a brookie would be far worse. It was then that I
remembered my head-lamp in my vest. It would have helped. The
mosquitoes were unbearable, however, so we decided to our retreat would
be best for the fish and us.

I just got off the phone with a friend who stayed in camp until today.
He said the fishing remained very good after I left on Wednesday.

So, I propose this: A clave at Lakewood next year from July 1 through
the 7th. Clavers are encouraged to bring their wives or SOs. If you
fly in to Portland, ME, I will see to it that you are transported to
Lakewood. There will be a pick-up truck available for shuttling sports
down-stream to The Currents and Lower Dam, and boats available if
needed. Good food, good fishing, good quarters, and good friends.
What more is needed? (Uh, fireworks on the 4th - Whit puts on a pretty
good show with a bonfire on the beach.)

Old July 8th, 2011, 07:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

what is the per person cost at lakewood now dave? do you think this
july was an oddity as far as the weather and fish? ...and biting flies
and skeeters?

jeff

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-07-08 14:55:28 -0400, jeff said:

what is the per person cost at lakewood now dave? do you think this
july was an oddity as far as the weather and fish? ...and biting flies
and skeeters?

jeff

Double occupancy is $160/day and includes three deliciously prepared
meals. If you wish to fish through the dinner hour, meals can be
delivered to your cabin before 8 pm.

I have spent the last three 4ths of July in camp and the fishing has
been very good to excellent. The skeeters this year are blamed on a
very rainy early season, but except for fishing that one night, they
were not a problem. I imagine if we had been more liberal with the bug
juice that we wouldn't have had any problems. The black flies (late
May to mid June) were a bear this year. The breeze caused by the
rushing waters at the dam kept them at bay, however. There are no black
flies in July.

While sitting on the porch at our camp, I used that little OFF machine
(about $6 for about 15 hours of service). Replace the battery and
filter for a nominal fee and you are back it business. It actually
WORKED as long as I wore it. I did not try it on the stream because it
wasn't needed. Did you know that a vodka martini kills a mosquito?
And, beer doesn't! Makes a man wonder. d;o)

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

i'm a possible...rachel isn't able to travel distances, so no one of
significant otherness will be with me if i'm able to make it. i'd like
to see the rapid again...my last visit was disturbed, but not stopped,
by 9/11. keep me informed as your plans progress.

jeff (btw...anyone heard from or of vince norris?)

Old July 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 7/8/2011 3:43 PM, jeff wrote:
i'm a possible...rachel isn't able to travel distances, so no one of
significant otherness will be with me if i'm able to make it. i'd like
to see the rapid again...my last visit was disturbed, but not stopped,
by 9/11. keep me informed as your plans progress.

hoping not to get entangled in some new form of national crisis, I am
still a definite maybe. Comes at a convenient time, and the SO might
enjoy getting away to the North Woods.

jeff (btw...anyone heard from or of vince norris?)

of course I've heard of him.....met him a few times even. I have not,
that I recall, heard from him via posts to ROFF for a couple months. He
did post pre-clave, around April, IIRC.

ever the smart-ass......
Tom
Old July 11th, 2011, 03:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jul 8, 5:01*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 7/8/2011 3:43 PM, jeff wrote:

i'm a possible...rachel isn't able to travel distances, so no one of
significant otherness will be with me if i'm able to make it. i'd like
to see the rapid again...my last visit was disturbed, but not stopped,
by 9/11. keep me informed as your plans progress.

hoping not to get entangled in some new form of national crisis, I am
still a definite maybe. Comes at a convenient time, and the SO might
enjoy getting away to the North Woods.

jeff (btw...anyone heard from or of vince norris?)

of course I've heard of him.....met him a few times even. I have not,
that I recall, heard from him via posts to ROFF for a couple months. He
did post pre-clave, around April, IIRC.

ever the smart-ass......
* * Tom

yep, i'm probably for certain. on my way to the last one, in 2001, i
ran into cleveland. lord help us all.

yfitons
wayno
Old July 11th, 2011, 03:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On 7/8/2011 3:43 PM, jeff wrote:

[...]

wayno- Hide quoted text -

"i ran into cleveland"