really OT

Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

Default really OT

November 1st and November 2nd, All Saints Day and All Souls Day
respectively. The 1st is a national holiday, rather like Memorial Day and
Thanksgiving Day all rolled into one.

On the 1st, traditionally, the graves of the young are honored and on the
2nd, the graves of the adults are honored but mostly all are honored on the
first.

Locally, processions weave through the streets of the families on their way
to the cemetery, all are holding candles...the smoke from the candle will
keep evil spirits at bay. For the cemeteries farther from town..vendors
selling candles and snacks line the road near the entrance to the cemetery

At the cemetery the above ground vaults, the vaults buried at ground
level...and those with a mere cross to mark the spot are tended to. They are
painted and the weeds are cut and the sites are care-taken for another year.
It's your families grave site, you take care of it.

Like in the states, the more wealthy the family, the more elaborate the
tomb. Nearby two old women tend the grave that is almost lost to time. When
these women are gone, there will be no one to remember this grave. Markers
will erode and the weeds will erase all trace. Other nearby sites are almost
gone, only careful observation care tell that it is a grave. Soon the
remnants of the site will be erased and the site will be sold anew. The new
owners removing all remains and burying another loved at the place.

Families gather and chat, snack and light candles, clean and paint what they
can. Many vaults bear witness to grave robbing. Not for riches or jewelry
but for kneecaps. Although a catholic country, the pagan religions and
superstitions abound. Knee caps are thought to have wondrous powers, ground
and eaten or worn as talismans.

A banana tree bearing fruit grows from the side of one site, evidence of a
family's snack from years ago.

A foreigner will accompany his bride or girlfriend trying to show good
manners, a family may consider it an honor to have a foreigner accompany
them or they may wish to share this event and out of kindness invite him so
that he is not alone on a holiday. This is the Memorial part of the holiday
and soon will come the Thanksgiving part.

The family nearest the cemetery will host the visitors, cooking what foods
are brought, sharing their house and laughter.

I flick a spent cigarette into a collapsed crypt and begin to leave.. It is
near ten in the morning, the eating and drinking will begin. I don't want to
miss it.

Old November 4th, 2011, 09:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Nov 2, 7:20*am, "john b" wrote:
[...]

Partying with dead people. I've heard that this has been done in
various places and times. Sounds like a very good idea to me.

The kneecap thing is news, though. Makes a boy wonder. I mean,
skulls, yeah, for sure.....they're useful and you can talk to them.
Thighbones can serve as weapons. Scapulas will do well enough as
makeshift shovels. Tarsals and carpals and all those itty bitty
things are dice....or portents or something. And we all know about
the jawbone of an ass, right? But kneecaps? What the hell is that
about?

Say "Hi" to the neighbors for us. Tell them we miss them and wish we
were there.

Wolfgang
who sincerely believes that more of this kind of stuff would do
everyone a world of good.
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
ScovilleUnit

Giles wrote in
:

Wolfgang:

AKA: Green Teeth (Giles)

Old November 6th, 2011, 01:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

"ScovilleUnit" wrote in message
.. .

Giles wrote in