A Fishing forum. FishingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FishingBanter forum » rec.outdoors.fishing newsgroups » Fly Fishing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Swapping leaders

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
M
external usenet poster

Default Swapping leaders

I'm still new to fly fishing and for the moment I'm trying to keep things simple. Can anyone help with some ideas to make changing leaders easier. I'm finding it's easier not to, so I need a new approach.

I've been using tapered leaders which seem to be a great but I'm finding that swapping flies quickly eats in to the taper and then it's time to tie on a new leader. I've used a nail knot threaded into the fly line which I really don't want to try to re-tie on the bank.

As an alternative approach, I've taken to tying a leader from three sections of (untapered) line. Each section is progressively finer. This means I can (almost) always leave the first section tied to the fly line and generally only need to replace the last section. Eventually I need to replace the first section as it's length gradually gets smaller with re-tying.

This works ok I think, but it can be a bit wasteful with line. Is there a better way?

I've also just started using wet fly. For the moment I'd prefer not to have to buy another cassette (and sinking line) for my reel, so I'm making do with a sinking leader... which generally means ripping off the dry leader sections again!

Is there a better way?

Thanks for any advice.
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Swapping leaders

"M" wrote in message

I'm still new to fly fishing and for the moment I'm trying to keep things
simple. Can anyone help with some ideas to make changing leaders easier. I'm
finding it's easier not to, so I need a new approach.

I've been using tapered leaders which seem to be a great but I'm finding
that swapping flies quickly eats in to the taper and then it's time to tie
on a new leader. I've used a nail knot threaded into the fly line which I
really don't want to try to re-tie on the bank.

As an alternative approach, I've taken to tying a leader from three sections
of (untapered) line. Each section is progressively finer. This means I can
(almost) always leave the first section tied to the fly line and generally
only need to replace the last section. Eventually I need to replace the
first section as it's length gradually gets smaller with re-tying.

This works ok I think, but it can be a bit wasteful with line. Is there a
better way?

I've also just started using wet fly. For the moment I'd prefer not to have
to buy another cassette (and sinking line) for my reel, so I'm making do
with a sinking leader... which generally means ripping off the dry leader
sections again!

1. Discover "tippet," what fly fishers call the last (thinnest) part of
the leader, knotted to the fly. Nearly everyone adds to store-bought
leaders a tippet (anything from one to 6 feet long, depending on needs)
cut from the reels of tippet material they carry astream. Tippet thickness
is measured by X numbers (traditional) or thousandths of an inch. The
rule of thumb is that a size 8 fly requires 2X tippet (0.009"), a size 16
fly
4X (0.007") and so on.

2. Beginners need not concern themselves with supposed differences
between floating and sinking leaders. It is more important first to
find some fish, then to present to them a fly they will take. Generally
a dry fly leader should be longish and a sunk fly leader shortish
(especially if on a sinking line.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Old July 18th, 2012, 06:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
M
external usenet poster

Default Swapping leaders

Don, thanks. Rule of Thumb helps me get the right tippet. I think I might create a butt section with a perfection loop for quick change of leader.
Mark

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:06:51 AM UTC+1, M wrote:
I'm still new to fly fishing and for the moment I'm trying to keep things simple. Can anyone help with some ideas to make changing leaders easier. I'm finding it's easier not to, so I need a new approach.

I've been using tapered leaders which seem to be a great but I'm finding that swapping flies quickly eats in to the taper and then it's time to tie on a new leader. I've used a nail knot threaded into the fly line which I really don't want to try to re-tie on the bank.

As an alternative approach, I've taken to tying a leader from three sections of (untapered) line. Each section is progressively finer. This means I can (almost) always leave the first section tied to the fly line and generally only need to replace the last section. Eventually I need to replace the first section as it's length gradually gets smaller with re-tying.

This works ok I think, but it can be a bit wasteful with line. Is there a better way?

I've also just started using wet fly. For the moment I'd prefer not to have to buy another cassette (and sinking line) for my reel, so I'm making do with a sinking leader... which generally means ripping off the dry leader sections again!

Is there a better way?

Thanks for any advice.

Old July 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Swapping leaders

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:06:51 AM UTC-7, M wrote:

Is there a better way?

Thanks for any advice.

Check out "tippet rings". These practically weightless rings allow you to replace tippet sections easily, without ever shortening up the remainder of the tapered leader. Also I suggest attaching a short section of heavier leader (as stiff as the line) directly to the line (w/ a nail knot or equivalent), with one of the larger rings on the end. This allows for quickly changing the entire tapered leader (e.g. floating leader to specialty sinking leader) without the need for tying another nail knot.
Also it sounds like you are already experimenting with making your own tapered leaders. There are numerous formulas for making up your own tapered leaders for a variety of applications (e.g. small dry flies, nymphing, streamers, etc.) available on the web.
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
M
external usenet poster

Default Swapping leaders

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:08:16 PM UTC+1, wrote:
> I'm still new to fly fishing and for the moment I'm trying to keep things simple. Can anyone help with some ideas to make changing leaders easier. I'm finding it's easier not to, so I need a new approach.
>
> I've been using tapered leaders which seem to be a great but I'm finding that swapping flies quickly eats in to the taper and then it's time to tie on a new leader. I've used a nail knot threaded into the fly line which I really don't want to try to re-tie on the bank.
>
> As an alternative approach, I've taken to tying a leader from three sections of (untapered) line. Each section is progressively finer. This means I can (almost) always leave the first section tied to the fly line and generally only need to replace the last section. Eventually I need to replace the first section as it's length gradually gets smaller with re-tying.
>
> This works ok I think, but it can be a bit wasteful with line. Is there a better way?
>
> I've also just started using wet fly. For the moment I'd prefer not to have to buy another cassette (and sinking line) for my reel, so I'm making do with a sinking leader... which generally means ripping off the dry leader sections again!
>
> Is there a better way?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Check out "tippet rings". These practically weightless rings allow you to replace tippet sections easily, without ever shortening up the remainder of the tapered leader. Also I suggest attaching a short section of heavier leader (as stiff as the line) directly to the line (w/ a nail knot or equivalent), with one of the larger rings on the end. This allows for quickly changing the entire tapered leader (e.g. floating leader to specialty sinking leader) without the need for tying another nail knot.
Also it sounds like you are already experimenting with making your own tapered leaders. There are numerous formulas for making up your own tapered leaders for a variety of applications (e.g. small dry flies, nymphing, streamers, etc.) available on the web.

Thanks. "Tippet Rings" - don't they create a 'hinge'?
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Swapping leaders

Thanks. "Tippet Rings" - don't they create a "hinge"?

Not in my experience.