Turning the fly

Old July 18th, 2012, 09:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Turning the fly

I'm new to fly fishing. I've been out 4 times now, getting the hang of casting well enough and am catching wild (as opposed to farmed) fish. I've got some head space now for a bit of experimenting to improve things a bit.

I'm thinking about ditching tapered leader; I've got it tied on to the fly line and it's a bit wasteful and time consuming in this way.

If I attach a braided loop over the end of my fly line, then attach a length of line (diameter about, say, .009mm) and finally a tippet length of about 18 inches (diameter according to the fly). Does this rig hang together ok and, more importantly, turn fly's ok?

I'm thinking about using (perfection) loop to loop connections between the lines.

Thanks for your thoughts
Mark
Wales, Uk
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
E.B.

If you attach a braided loop, use a loop-to-loop connection to your leader butt by forming a loop (perfection or non-slip mono loop, or other) at the leader butt.

Of course, you don't *need* to use a special braided loop at your line tip. You can secure a short, permanent butt to your line using mono that matches the stiffness of your line tip. I've had a spool or two of material specifically marketed for such use, but there are many choices about. A nail or needle knot secures it to the line, then form your loop 6-12" away. I still opt for this setup often, as the needle knot is less obtrusive, holds no water (problem with braid), and can be made as smooth as glass with a dab of pliobond or aqua seal. Sometimes I make the butt a few inches longer and just secure the leader to it with a blood knot.

Use a straight section of mono in lieu of a tapered leader if it suits your needs better, but straight mono is seldom the better option.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2012

The only time I use straight mono is when I'm swinging a streamer. 3' of monon from the line to the fly works quite well.
Frank Reid