The Sport of Carp Fishing

Old March 20th, 2006, 08:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing

Default The Sport of Carp Fishing

Pepperoni wrote:

"E." wrote in message

They actually make good fertiliser and are caught with this purpose in
mind in some places.
Netting is largely out of the question due to greenie policies.
Cheers,

Looking forward to April 1. Net season runs for 2 months here in Michigan,
(lower, upper has a 1 month season starting a month later)

I have a new net on the way, my ropes are ready to go,

I love killing carp in large numbers.

Did you know that netters catch as many fish on the bottom of the net as the
top? (8x8 net lays flat on the bottom)
Next carp you catch, examine the dorsal fin. There is a saw-toothed spine
that catches in the mesh and a 30 pounder can be lifted only by the spine.
You can tell when you've set your net on top of a big one. The whole
assembly starts shaking and bouncing around. Wait a few to insure the mesh
catches the barbs. Funny sight , pulling 3-4 carp up by a single fin and
all hanging below the net.

I'll post some pictures in a few weeks.

Pepperoni

Many useful tactics are banned in many waterways here. Bow/spear fishing
is also totally banned.
E.

Old March 20th, 2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing

Default my ideas

greg wrote:

Supporting:
"That *would* be a fun catch on 6lb line. Most spots i go to the carp are
70-100cm+. Killing them is a civic duty.
Yes, if it was spent on rotenone to kill them."

Is cruel brutal and simply stupid. Will you take your children to a lake and
teach them "to cut their stinking heads off then let them go."?

Yes. I'd also teach them *why*, i.e. they are a pest. While i'm at it
I'd teach them correct handling and release techniques for natives.

There is a big chance carp is more native in the USA then most of you guys.

As I'm not in the US I will never 'become' a US native. Any exotic
species can *never* become native. It can become dominant or established.

And is here to stay. Killing animals just to show off is sensless and it is
against animal crualty law.

No it isn't. 1 quick smack thru the spine with a tomahawk is quick,
clean and efficient. And it's not a matter of showing off.

I cant believe no one said anything against "to
cut their stinking heads off then let them go." How many years must pass
until carp will become "native" according to you?

They will never be native. They are also a pest. Also feral cats, dogs,
horses, foxes, goats, camels, pigs, rabbits, cane toads, mynahs and
starlings belong on that list.

Do you also support killing other species as well which may be a threat to
bass? I heard people killing gar, pike, muskie...

As already stated, I don't target bass. I target carp/trout exclusively
during native closed season as even a properly handled CnR native will
reabsorp it's eggs if caught during breeding season. Also carp hoover up
the natives eggs, so the less carp in a particular waterway, the better.

I hope I will at least make you thinking.

Carp do not belong in our waters. They do no good whatsoever, and should
be eradicated. Full eradication is unfortunately next to impossible.
This is why it is a crime here to return a carp to the water once caught.
E.

Old March 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing

The people who complain loudest are the same ones who fished out the Grand
Banks (now working on the North Sea)
At least Killing Carp allows edible fish a chance. A 3 pound carp (if you
can find one that small) Will smack a crawler like a 10 pound bass, streak
off like a bonefish and jump 4-5 times. At 10 pounds and over they are all
shoulders and brute strength with a blistering first run. On the river he
will head down current and you have to turn him before your line gives out.
Get him headed upcurrent and he's yours, play him like a salmon, just
enough weight to turn him onto the beach on his own power.

Yeah, I like 'em, but about 90% of them have got to go.

I have some pictures of carp spawning against a wall dam. The flatheads
feed on the spawn and a good time is had by all.
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/gonefishin02.htm

Pepperoni

"Brendan" wrote in message ...
Our best largemouth bass water here in the Western Cape in South Africa
was destroyed after carp established themselves. (Theewaterskloof.) A 400
million cubic meter dam that was once slightly tea stained is now a
mud-bowl and where it was once possible to land five or ten two kilo +
bass you are lucky if you catch one or two of 500 grams.

A male bass of a kilo doesn't stand a chance against a 10 kg carp intent
on rooting up the bottom thus covering the nest in silt.

If you care about bass fishing in your area you will kill every single
carp you catch.

Carp are as bad as some people say.

Old March 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing

"
[...]

No Dynamite, huh?

They let us kill carp and very few rough fish. Suckers are running, though.
In that cold water, they are firm and sweet. They actually seem to trust us
a lot. We often pull game fish and just lower them gently. (maybe take a
quick picture without removing from the net.) Pulled a female bass over 15
pounds once. Guy walking past nearly had a heart attack. Big female with
the V belly full of eggs and tiny looking tail. At least I had a witness,
for about 15 seconds for a look. Another 15 second and I would have been
plotting taxidermy. Close call. State record walleye? We see a couple a
year. They are out there, boys.

Dip netting will teach you how fish move in the river.

Pepperoni

Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing

"E." wrote in message
Carp do not belong in our waters. They do no good whatsoever, and should
be eradicated. Full eradication is unfortunately next to impossible.
This is why it is a crime here to return a carp to the water once caught.
E.

counterpoint:
Carp in Australia do not have the reputation that they do in Europe. In fact
they are positively hated in many areas. A lot of misinformation has created
this situation. The Carp has become a scape goat, bad farming and irrigation
practises have increased salt levels and nutrient levels poisoning the land
and subsequently the waterways. The Carp is blamed for...Muddying the
water...undermining the banks.... killing all the weed....killing the native
species.... causing trees to fall in the waterways. The list of its
diabolical actions is legion but at the end of the day man is to blame for
the problem.

That said...it must be pointed out that there were and still are areas that
suffer from what amounts to be infestation. Huge numbers of Carp have at
times congregated in waterways that do not have a hope of supporting the
biomass. Unfortunately these gatherings have been interpreted as breeding,
the chances are that the majority of these fish perished in a fight for
survival. Native species like Murray Cod are in some areas making a come
back. They are using the Carp as a food source.......Don't you just love
mother nature.....she'll be right....given time!!!!

http://www.coarsefishing.ws/carpage.htm

Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing

Harold wrote:
"E." wrote in message

Carp do not belong in our waters. They do no good whatsoever, and should
be eradicated. Full eradication is unfortunately next to impossible.
This is why it is a crime here to return a carp to the water once caught.
E.

counterpoint:
Carp in Australia do not have the reputation that they do in Europe. In fact
they are positively hated in many areas. A lot of misinformation has created
this situation.

A lot of accurate information has created this situation.

The Carp has become a scape goat, bad farming and irrigation
practises have increased salt levels and nutrient levels poisoning the land
and subsequently the waterways.

In some areas this is true.

The Carp is blamed for...Muddying the
water...

They do cause this.

undermining the banks.... killing all the weed....

Are you making this up?

killing the native species....

Carp aren't really a predator in the classic sense. They do eat native
fish eggs. The young (billions of them) hatch before natives, and eat
all the tiny aquatic food that baby native fish require.

causing trees to fall in the waterways.

Ok you *are* making this up.

The list of its
diabolical actions is legion but at the end of the day man is to blame for
the problem.

Yes. Man introduced carp and a lot of other exotic species which bacame
pests.

That said...it must be pointed out that there were and still are areas that
suffer from what amounts to be infestation. Huge numbers of Carp have at
times congregated in waterways that do not have a hope of supporting the
biomass.

English perch are the same.

Unfortunately these gatherings have been interpreted as breeding,
the chances are that the majority of these fish perished in a fight for
survival. Native species like Murray Cod are in some areas making a come
back.

They are coming back mainly to maintaining minimum river flows for
ecologocal sustainability, removal of pests such as carp, restocking,
replanting river banks with approprait, removing pest plants such as
willows, bag and size limits, CnR fishing and education.

They are using the Carp as a food source.......Don't you just love
mother nature.....she'll be right....given time!!!!

....and man fixing his mistakes by killing the carp.
E.
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:51 PM
macknnadam macknnadam is offline
Junior Member

The rods are continued spinning ones able of banging out a 100-yard cast. The rod pod is able with battery-powered bang alarms that sound off if a angle picks up the allurement and swims away. The anxiety aswell signals what's accepted as a drop-back bite.