Digital disappointment

Old July 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Digital disappointment

Just a bit of a note/warning

I bought a new digital camera ... one of the waterproof models that has ONLY
an LCD "viewfinder"

Although it takes decent photos and the underwater thing is cute,

http://www.kimshew.com/flyfish/photos/log316.jpg

after spending about $500 ( after extra batteries and big memory card ), I
just mailed it to my kid for him to take to Chile and reverted to my old
"water resistant" Pentax with an optical view finder as well as the LCD

Maybe most people wouldn't have too much problem, but my old eyes are a bit
burnt out from years training dogs in the sun around water and I simply
could not see the LCD well enough .. often having to simply guess what might
be in the frame.

Add the fact that polaroid glasses seem to black out the LCD entirely if you
turn it to portrait position and I feel I basically wasted my money on this
new "fishing camera" .... bought based on "specs" but without an in hand
trial

If you are shopping for a digital camera ... test it outside, in full sun,
wearing shades ... advice based on experience :-(

Old July 10th, 2008, 02:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 7-Jul-2008, "Larry L" wrote:

[...]

Larry

I hope your tri to Montana Idaho and Wyoming was sucessful

I carefully checked them all out before I bought the Olympus 720
It has the brightest screen of them all
The pentax Optio does not - far too dim!

And go to B & H Photo only

Fred
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

"Larry L" wrote in
:

I bought a new digital camera ... one of the waterproof models that
has ONLY an LCD "viewfinder"

I have one of the Olympus waterproof guys, and I love it because of the
special needs it addresses-- especially the ability to keep it in a vest
pocket and not worry about taking a bath.

No way would I say it was the camera to meet all of my photography needs,
but it does fill a very nice niche.

Some photos at

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jul 8, 7:09*am, "Larry L" wrote:

If you are shopping for a digital camera ... test it outside, in full sun,
wearing shades ... advice based on experience :-(

That same piece of advice goes for a cell phone. My new Nokia is close
to useless outside in full sun, and completely useless if I am wearing
polarized glasses.

--riverman