Snit

Old September 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Default Snit

When you order a Bloody Mary on a Sunday morning in Minnesota
it comes with a snit. A snit is a little juice glass full of
draught beer for a chaser. It would be an interesting bit of
regional etymology to figure out how a beer chaser came to be
known as a snit.

Anyway, it's a damn good idea and the Bloody Mary's at the
Gunflint Tavern on the Lake are damn good too. For 8 bucks
you get a huge Bloody Mary with olives, pickle, celery and
a nice prawn perched on the side of the glass. And a snit.

Cheers from the north shore !!

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey

In message , Ken Fortenberry
writes
When you order a Bloody Mary on a Sunday morning in Minnesota
it comes with a snit. A snit is a little juice glass full of
draught beer for a chaser. It would be an interesting bit of
regional etymology to figure out how a beer chaser came to be
known as a snit.

Anyway, it's a damn good idea and the Bloody Mary's at the
Gunflint Tavern on the Lake are damn good too. For 8 bucks
you get a huge Bloody Mary with olives, pickle, celery and
a nice prawn perched on the side of the glass. And a snit.

Cheers from the north shore !!

Snit = 3ozs of beer.
--
Bill Grey

Old September 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 21:11:48 +0100, Bill Grey wrote:

In message , Ken Fortenberry
writes
When you order a Bloody Mary on a Sunday morning in Minnesota
it comes with a snit. A snit is a little juice glass full of
draught beer for a chaser. It would be an interesting bit of
regional etymology to figure out how a beer chaser came to be
known as a snit.

Anyway, it's a damn good idea and the Bloody Mary's at the
Gunflint Tavern on the Lake are damn good too. For 8 bucks
you get a huge Bloody Mary with olives, pickle, celery and
a nice prawn perched on the side of the glass. And a snit.

Cheers from the north shore !!

Snit = 3ozs of beer.

Tantrum = Belgians buy Anheuser-Busch.

HTH,
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Bill Grey wrote:
Ken Fortenberry writes:
When you order a Bloody Mary on a Sunday morning in Minnesota
it comes with a snit. A snit is a little juice glass full of
draught beer for a chaser. It would be an interesting bit of
regional etymology to figure out how a beer chaser came to be
known as a snit.

Anyway, it's a damn good idea and the Bloody Mary's at the
Gunflint Tavern on the Lake are damn good too. For 8 bucks
you get a huge Bloody Mary with olives, pickle, celery and
a nice prawn perched on the side of the glass. And a snit.

Cheers from the north shore !!

Snit = 3ozs of beer.

Yeah, I know what a snit is, I just had one this morning
and I get one every time I order a Bloody Mary in Minnesota.

What I want to know is, how did a little glass of beer come
to be known as a snit ? I mean the definition you posted,
which is obviously correct, is not in any of my dictionaries
of American English. And my OED is at home.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey

In message , Ken Fortenberry
writes
Snit = 3ozs of beer.

Yeah, I know what a snit is, I just had one this morning
and I get one every time I order a Bloody Mary in Minnesota.

..

What I want to know is, how did a little glass of beer come
to be known as a snit ? I mean the definition you posted,
which is obviously correct, is not in any of my dictionaries
of American English. And my OED is at home.

"Origin unknown" is all I can find.

--
Bill Grey

Old September 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

.

What I want to know is, how did a little glass of beer come
to be known as a snit ? I mean the definition you posted,
which is obviously correct, is not in any of my dictionaries
of American English. And my OED is at home.

"Origin unknown" is all I can find.

Well, whadaya expect someone to be in when you give 'em a teeny, wee little
beer...

HTH,
....OTOH, it might be related to the German word Schnitzel/Schnitz - a piece, a
slice...I suspect the use of "snit" with the word fit came about because of not
being able to say "****" - you can/could say/print "snit-fit" but not "****-fit"
and then it just got shortened to "snit" as in "Bob was in a snit when he
ordered a beer and got a shotglassful..." - and is not related to the beer
usage, but ???

OTOOH, it could just be a result of some long lost bartender playing "Let's ****
with the tourist..."
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 18:42:59 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Bill Grey wrote:
Ken Fortenberry writes:
[...]

Is it something they only do with Bloody Marys - if so, that sounds like some
weird version of a preparada/Michelada, the "Mexican" (really, much of the
Hispanic New World) beer and tomato juice drink, ala that ****-in-a-can from
Bud, "Chelada" (Bud and Clamato). There is a Mexican, Costa Rican, etc. drink
that's like a Bloody Mary, but with beer and tequila or beer and cacique/guaro -
is there any chance of this being an influence?

TC,
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John B[_2_]

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
When you order a Bloody Mary on a Sunday morning in Minnesota
it comes with a snit. A snit is a little juice glass full of
draught beer for a chaser. It would be an interesting bit of
regional etymology to figure out how a beer chaser came to be
known as a snit.

Anyway, it's a damn good idea and the Bloody Mary's at the
Gunflint Tavern on the Lake are damn good too. For 8 bucks
you get a huge Bloody Mary with olives, pickle, celery and
a nice prawn perched on the side of the glass. And a snit.

Cheers from the north shore !!

--
Ken Fortenberry

Not the custom in the Buckeye State, in fact I had never heard of it but it
sounds like a good idea. There has to be some relation to the phrase 'in a
snit.'

john

Old September 7th, 2009, 04:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Bill Grey wrote:
Ken Fortenberry writes:
When you order a Bloody Mary on a Sunday morning in Minnesota
it comes with a snit.
Snit = 3ozs of beer.

Yeah, I know what a snit is, I just had one this morning
and I get one every time I order a Bloody Mary in Minnesota.

What I want to know is, how did a little glass of beer come
to be known as a snit ? I mean the definition you posted,
which is obviously correct, is not in any of my dictionaries
of American English. And my OED is at home.

Is it something they only do with Bloody Marys -

So far as I know. The Bloody Mary and the mimosa are about
the only mixed drinks I ever order for breakfast and I've
never had a mimosa served with a snit. They don't put the
beer *in* the Bloody Mary btw, it's served as a chaser.

if so, that sounds like some
weird version of a preparada/Michelada, the "Mexican" (really, much of the
Hispanic New World) beer and tomato juice drink, ala that ****-in-a-can from
Bud, "Chelada" (Bud and Clamato). There is a Mexican, Costa Rican, etc. drink
that's like a Bloody Mary, but with beer and tequila or beer and cacique/guaro -
is there any chance of this being an influence?

I would guess that any influences would be Nordic or Scandinavian
rather than Mexican.

--
Ken Fortenberry