#22 midge eye

Old September 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Injun Joe

Default #22 midge eye

Planning a trip to N.C mountains next week -hope to catch a few
brookies- so Im sorting my stuff and find some #22 grey midges--
thought I would try using them for droppers behind a hopper '. I make
up the rig and carry it in a 35mm film can in order avoid taking 20
minutes on the stream to attatch a fly .
Problem !! cannot get leader thru eye of midge --my eyes are elderly
and I cannot hold a magnifying glass and tie knots at same time !
Using 7x leader--any suggestions welcome

Joe the Elder.
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

Go to your local drug store and buy magnifying eyeglasses. They are
relatively cheap and work well. Try on different magnifying powers and
look at your finger nail. They should do the trick.

Something more expensive but handier is found by googling "magnifing flip-ups.

Old September 16th, 2009, 09:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

On Sep 16, 12:48*pm, David LaCourse wrote:
Go to your local drug store and buy magnifying eyeglasses. *They are
relatively cheap and work well. *Try on different magnifying powers and
look at your finger nail. *They should do the trick.

Something more expensive but handier is found by googling "magnifing flip-ups.

Dave

I use 3.5's from the dollar store...........for a dollar.

cheers

oz
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson[_3_]

"Injun Joe" wrote in message

Planning a trip to N.C mountains next week -hope to catch a few
brookies- so Im sorting my stuff and find some #22 grey midges--
thought I would try using them for droppers behind a hopper '. I make
up the rig and carry it in a 35mm film can in order avoid taking 20
minutes on the stream to attatch a fly .
Problem !! cannot get leader thru eye of midge --my eyes are elderly
and I cannot hold a magnifying glass and tie knots at same time !
Using 7x leader--any suggestions welcome

A friend of mine wears a hat with a brim, with
flip-down magnifying lenses attached to the brim.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old September 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Injun Joe" wrote in message

Planning a trip to N.C mountains next week -hope to catch a few
brookies- so Im sorting my stuff and find some #22 grey midges--
thought I would try using them for droppers behind a hopper '. I make
up the rig and carry it in a 35mm film can in order avoid taking 20
minutes on the stream to attatch a fly .
Problem !! cannot get leader thru eye of midge --my eyes are elderly
and I cannot hold a magnifying glass and tie knots at same time !
Using 7x leader--any suggestions welcome

We have a number lakes that are full of Brookies,
but the only way you can catch them is with dynamite.
You usually only wind up catching the planted Rainbows.
The ones in the streams are way easier to catch.

A friend of mine wears a hat with a brim, with
flip-down magnifying lenses attached to the brim.

Be careful with these. One of the other members of this
group had them catch his nose hair on fire.

I use the flip up that attach to my glasses. I also
use this magnet gizmo that my local fly store sells.
You would not think it would work, but it really,
really does.

What leader did you eventually use? Did the #22 Midge
work very well? Seems to me that the larger the fly,
the farther from their feeding lie a trout will chase it.
Let us know how you did!

-T

Old September 17th, 2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 17-Sep-2009, Todd wrote:

Problem !! cannot get leader thru eye of midge --my eyes are elderly
and I cannot hold a magnifying glass and tie knots at same time !
Using 7x leader--any suggestions welcome

I use the flip up that attach to my glasses

Problem is after I am done w them - as I walk or move to fish these clip ons
keep falling down
I found a great pair of magnifiers - clic

One url is -http://impulseclics.com/whatclicks.html

I am at the point where I would not even attempt a #22 hook eye and 6 X is
getting more difficult for me
The best solution is to take a younger friend or train my grandchildren to
help tie on flies and leaders

Fred
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2009-09-17 17:27:04 -0400, "Fred" said:

The best solution is to take a younger friend or train my grandchildren to
help tie on flies and leaders

Nahhhh! Never depend on others in your old age, Fred. Buy those
glasses I told you about, or the kind that clip onto your normal eye
glasses or your hat. Tie on your own flies. Don't be a pussy, Fred.
Do it yourself, *with help from the wonderful world of science.*

Old September 18th, 2009, 04:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On Sep 16, 12:25*pm, Injun Joe wrote:
Planning a trip to N.C mountains next week -hope to catch a few
brookies- so Im sorting my stuff and find some #22 grey midges--
thought I would try using them for droppers behind a hopper '. I make
up the rig *and carry it in a *35mm film can *in order avoid taking 20
minutes on the stream to attatch a fly .
Problem !! cannot get leader thru eye of midge --my eyes are elderly
and I cannot hold a magnifying glass and tie knots at same time !
Using 7x leader--any suggestions welcome

Joe the Elder.

If the max magnification of the drug store glasses, (usually 3.5),
isn't strong enough, Orvis sells 5X reading glasses for 50 bucks. I
use them for tying, but I find my prescription bifocals work well
enough while fishing, and I quite often fish midges from #24 - #30.
PS - I'm 68, and can't see my hand in front of my face without
glasses. Proper magnification is a wonderful thing.
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:25:33 -0700 (PDT), Injun Joe
wrote:

Planning a trip to N.C mountains next week -hope to catch a few
brookies- so Im sorting my stuff and find some #22 grey midges--
thought I would try using them for droppers behind a hopper '. I make
up the rig and carry it in a 35mm film can in order avoid taking 20
minutes on the stream to attatch a fly .
Problem !! cannot get leader thru eye of midge --my eyes are elderly
and I cannot hold a magnifying glass and tie knots at same time !
Using 7x leader--any suggestions welcome

Joe the Elder.

I bought one of these for night fishing. It actually works.

http://www.tight-line-enterprises.co...tthreader.html

Geo. C.

Old September 21st, 2009, 04:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

wrote:

Planning a trip to N.C mountains next week -hope to catch a few
brookies- so Im sorting my stuff and find some #22 grey midges--
thought I would try using them for droppers behind a hopper '. I make
up the rig and carry it in a 35mm film can in order avoid taking 20
minutes on the stream to attatch a fly .
Problem !! cannot get leader thru eye of midge --my eyes are elderly
and I cannot hold a magnifying glass and tie knots at same time !
Using 7x leader--any suggestions welcome

Joe the Elder.

I bought one of these for night fishing. It actually works.

http://www.tight-line-enterprises.co...tthreader.html

Geo. C.

I will second that. Mine works great.

-T