1st cast-catch, then nothing

Old July 31st, 2010, 02:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Jason Rosin

Default 1st cast-catch, then nothing

I fish mainly on two small ponds (#1, 3min. across on 10ft. bass boat
w/ 30lb thrust motor; #2 10 minutes).

90% of the time I fish Senkos , with either 14lb firewire or
spiderwire in the weeds, 8lb powerline in more open water. Pond 1 max
depth is 40 ft, and pond 2 max 15ft. Mostly I'm fishing ofround weeds
and lillies.

Three outings in the past two weeks (twice from 7-11am, and once
around dusk). But the strangest thing is happening. Each outing I've
got a fish (smallie) on the very first cast, or two on the first two,
then nothing for hours. Fore example, today on the dee[er pond, along
the weeds/lillies I had one on the first cast at 4lbs, and the second
one 2.5lbs, twenty minutes later, then nothing for 4 hours though a
few (4) nibbles I couldn't set the hook on.

Just seems like a weired and persistent pattern, or a 6 year amateur
fisherman's day-beginning luck.
Am I doing something wrong? If the Senko's still in excellent shape
should I change it, or the hook, after catching a fish with it? Should
let out line and retie ?

Thanks for any input.

JJR
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bill McKee

"Jason Rosin" wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes poop happens. Years ago, I fished Lake Shasta from shore. First
cast, Hula Popper, 3# bass. Only bite in 3 days.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 02:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

[...]

It sounds to me like you're concentrating on the first couple of casts, then
when you have success, you're not fishing the same way, probably too fast.

The next time out, try to duplicate EXACTLY the same retrieve, right down to
the cadence of the lure and how fast you're reeling in the line.

You should be checking your line for signs of fraying, and if needed cut and
retie, but as long as the Senko is still in reasonable shape, there's no
need to change anything.

--
Steve Huber
Executive Producer/Editor in Chief

Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mark G7#9

On Aug 1, 9:30*pm, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" go-
wrote:
[...]

OutdoorFrontiers Multi-Media LLChttp://www.outdoorfrontiers.com- Hide quoted text -

Steve, as far as Senkos, I was always curious how to tell when they
are no longer good. I tend to have a few outside the plastic bag in my
box and never throw them away. Some are left over from previous year
and I never know if on bad days it's the old plastic that's the
problem.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Mark G7#9" wrote in message
Steve, as far as Senkos, I was always curious how to tell when they
are no longer good. I tend to have a few outside the plastic bag in my
box and never throw them away. Some are left over from previous year
and I never know if on bad days it's the old plastic that's the
problem.

When they are no longer good, they won't stay on the hook! If they're
SEVERELY ripped up, torn and tattered, then stop fishing them. Usually I
lose mine when a fish jumps and throws the lure, long before there's any
need to replace it.

And it doesn't matter if the lures are last year hold-overs, or brand
spanking new. The fish don't know, nor do they care.

Old September 4th, 2010, 12:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
YogurtLite

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" wrote in
:

"Mark G7#9" wrote in message
Steve, as far as Senkos, I was always curious how to tell when they
are no longer good. I tend to have a few outside the plastic bag in my
box and never throw them away. Some are left over from previous year
and I never know if on bad days it's the old plastic that's the
problem.

When they are no longer good, they won't stay on the hook! If they're
SEVERELY ripped up, torn and tattered, then stop fishing them.
Usually I lose mine when a fish jumps and throws the lure, long before
there's any need to replace it.

And it doesn't matter if the lures are last year hold-overs, or brand
spanking new. The fish don't know, nor do they care.

They only care when they latch onto one of those HUGE brookies filled
with $pam, by golly!!